Author Topic: looking for info on Abundant Life Academy  (Read 5698 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
looking for info on Abundant Life Academy
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2006, 10:19:12 AM »
TSW - Clearly, ALA is not "open" to anything other than Christianity. My point is, they don't pretend to be "open" and then force attendance at Mass, or studies of "the Pearl of Great Price" or sessions with the Mahareshe mo Heshe Yogi.

I don't actually *know* if they would accept a Hindu or Buddest child if asked to by Christian parents. If so, then I do feel safe saying that while the little Hindu might be exposed to vast amounts of Christian thought - they would never be forced to eat meat. I feel safe saying they would not have their food spit on, or be limited from activities others were allowed to enjoy. I feel I know that this kind of thing would never be tolerated at ALA.  I believe I know them well enough to know this much.

Depending on what you mean by Fundamentalist - I might qualify for that definition, and so might ALA. It used to simply mean a person who believed the Bible to be true - But has come to mean other things, these days. They (and I) are not Baptist as someone has suggested. I believe they (and I) hold to a more non denominational form of Christianity. There is nothing forceful or militant about it.

And again - to be very clear - I don't know how things are done now - but when my son was there, they in no way sought to stifle creativity or freedom of thought. In fact,  it seemed to me that Craig tried to help the boys learn to think things through - and to explore their interests and creative sprit. He got tutors to teach those who were interested, how to build web sites, for example. He encouraged my son's skills as a stand up comic - laughing hilariously at his stories and antics.  

And of corse, as a Christian, I have no problem with God being part of a person's healing process. I do happen to believe there is healing that takes place when we turn to Christ. This is not an involuntary change.  It is sought after, and prayed for,  and given as a gift from a merciful God.

As I explained in an earlier post - any program that tries to force the issue will do more harm than good - but I hope ALA will never be one of those.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2006, 02:45:22 PM »
One of the main things wrong with ALA is the same thing that is wrong with ALL tbs: the focus is on the kid, not the family system produced him or her.  The ALA website clearly discounts almost all diagnoses and insists the kids they deal with are mainly "spoiled brats" but nowhere do they ask who in the hell "spoiled" them.  Its the same old thing; the parents always get off the hook  (because they control the purse strings) and the kid, the designated scapegoat for all the families problems, gets sent away to be "fixed".
It is the adults who spoil, indulge and allow their kids to feel entitled, if indeed that is the case.  It does not happen over night.  It is adults who have developed faster and faster instant gratification toys marketed to kids and it is their parents who buy them but it is the kids who get labeled "spoiled brats".  And it is the WWASPS of the world who get rich off of the parents inability to properly parent.

Again unless the schools are teaching and requiring the kids to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless, treating each other as they want to be treated and loving their neighbors as themselves the label "Christian" is phony, hypocritial and these are the first schools Jesus himself would shut down in anger if he was here today.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »
I think we can all agree that religion is not therapy and therapy is not a religion (despite all the culty programs running around...) and they should be kept seperate.

Trying to make religious therapy or therapeutic religion is quackery in the first case and taking advantage of the weak on the other.

Kinda like Prison conversions. Lets put someone in a living hell and offer them an easy way out at their mentally and psychologically weakest!  :roll:

Yanno, kind of like buying into the program when youre being mentally beaten down, or the prison NOI converts?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2006, 02:39:10 AM »
Emailed them asking questions, we will see if they repsond.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2006, 03:12:09 PM »
Buzzkill, do you reccemend I send my son to Abundant Life Academy?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2006, 03:18:07 PM »
What do y'all hav against the great state of ALA?