Author Topic: Parents are warned about Hyde School by watchdog group  (Read 16924 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Parents are warned about Hyde School by watchdog group
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:01:58 PM »
I just discovered that the watchdog group, ISAC (International Survivors Action Committee), has added the Hyde School to its widely publicized list of abusive and harmful schools and programs that parents should avoid because of reputable complaints and other "information of concern."  The web site provides information about lawsuits and complaints, in addition to other information.  This is a very significant development.

The list of problem schools and programs, including information about the Hyde School, is available at: http://www.isaccorp.org/watchlist.asp
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Parents are warned about Hyde School by watchdog group
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:50:24 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I just discovered that the watchdog group, ISAC (International Survivors Action Committee), has added the Hyde School to its widely publicized list of abusive and harmful schools and programs that parents should avoid because of reputable complaints and other "information of concern."  The web site provides information about lawsuits and complaints, in addition to other information.  This is a very significant development.

The list of problem schools and programs, including information about the Hyde School, is available at: http://www.isaccorp.org/watchlist.asp

Thanks for the info.  It looks like a reputable site.  I know it is slander to publish something about a corporation that is not true.  I must assume that ISAC's information it accurate and true or they would not post it.  Hyde does indeed look like a scary place based on the posting on ISAC.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »

I'll say.  Parents should be very wary of sending their child to Hyde, based on this information.

Thanks for the info.  It looks like a reputable site.  I know it is slander to publish something about a corporation that is not true.  I must assume that ISAC's information it accurate and true or they would not post it.  Hyde does indeed look like a scary place based on the posting on ISAC.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 08:11:27 AM »

Thanks for informing everyone about this website.  I'm fascinated that this group found out about Hyde and, based on its review, concluded that Hyde belongs on its list of schools that engage in abusive practices.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 08:38:09 AM »

Thanks for informing everyone about this website.  I'm fascinated that this group found out about Hyde and, based on its review, concluded that Hyde belongs on its list of schools that engage in abusive practices.

Please help.  I do not see where the watchdog drew that conclution.  Can you cut and paste here?  All I see is a couple of documents posted lamely as jpgs and a summary of the Larry D incident.  Please help. I need to be cautioned.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 04:57:10 PM »

Please help.  I do not see where the watchdog drew that conclution.  Can you cut and paste here?  All I see is a couple of documents posted lamely as jpgs and a summary of the Larry D incident.  Please help. I need to be cautioned.

Yes, I see that it's true.  This organization reviews information about schools and programs and determines whether there's enough evidence to conclude that the complaints are credible.  I just looked at ISAC's website.  They have a "watch list" with schools and programs around the U.S. where there have been major problems.  Hyde School is now on that list.  

Here is where you will find the information: http://www.isaccorp.org/watchlist.asp  

ISAC says on its website that "ISAC is a unique watchdog organization, focused on exposing abuse, civil rights violations and fraud perpetuated through privately-owned facilities for juveniles."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »

I looked at these docs and they are of great concern to me.  I find the letter from Joe Gauld the most frightening as it indicates that he runs the school like a cult.  The interpretation of the letter is, leave your kids to us to raise and don't question us.  Wow.....very scary

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 12:10:08 PM »

I looked at these docs and they are of great concern to me.  I find the letter from Joe Gauld the most frightening as it indicates that he runs the school like a cult.  The interpretation of the letter is, leave your kids to us to raise and don't question us.  Wow.....very scary

What are the indications that he runs the schol like a cult?  What indication is there that the posting of said documents on the site means that hyde is a " harmful school(s)"  I do not see any such claim on the site that the list is  a "widely publicized list of abusive and harmful schools and programs"  I am open minded.  Please show and explain to me.

Thanks

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 02:25:18 PM »

What are the indications that he runs the schol like a cult?  What indication is there that the posting of said documents on the site means that hyde is a " harmful school(s)"  I do not see any such claim on the site that the list is  a "widely publicized list of abusive and harmful schools and programs"  I am open minded.  Please show and explain to me.

Thanks

Regarding the cult qualities, did you read the Traub article posted on this website?  I think it's pretty damning and persuasive; although Hyde may have some redeeming qualities, Traub documents lots of problems that should raise eyebrows.. Regarding the "widely publicized list," this ISAC website is cited a great deal on the internet.  I think it's fair to say this list is widely publicized.  Regarding abusive and harmful schools, read the criteria that this website's sponors use to judge whether a school or program is harmful and/or abusive.  You can decide for yourself whether the criteria and list are reasonable and fair.  I've taken a good look at this material and believe the sponsors are generally very careful and thorough.  My impression is that the sponsors reviewed lots of material about Hyde and concluded that there's sufficient evidence of problems there for the school to be put on this list.  They seem to limit their list to schools and programs that have had very serious problems.  You may disagree, which is your right, of course.  For me, based on my experience at Hyde, what I've heard from other Hyde families during the past few years, and my review of the material on this website, I'd say the website sponsors reached a fair conclusion.  If you disagree, please challenge their conclusion.  It's fair to debate these issues.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 02:38:11 PM »

Thanks

Regarding the cult qualities, did you read the Traub article posted on this website?  I think it's pretty damning and persuasive; although Hyde may have some redeeming qualities, Traub documents lots of problems that should raise eyebrows.. Regarding the "widely publicized list," this ISAC website is cited a great deal on the internet.  I think it's fair to say this list is widely publicized.  Regarding abusive and harmful schools, read the criteria that this website's sponors use to judge whether a school or program is harmful and/or abusive.  You can decide for yourself whether the criteria and list are reasonable and fair.  I've taken a good look at this material and believe the sponsors are generally very careful and thorough.  My impression is that the sponsors reviewed lots of material about Hyde and concluded that there's sufficient evidence of problems there for the school to be put on this list.  They seem to limit their list to schools and programs that have had very serious problems.  You may disagree, which is your right, of course.  For me, based on my experience at Hyde, what I've heard from other Hyde families during the past few years, and my review of the material on this website, I'd say the website sponsors reached a fair conclusion.  If you disagree, please challenge their conclusion.  It's fair to debate these issues.

You site Joes letter to orignally claim cult - hood for hyde, then in your most recent post refer to the Traub article.   Also you avoid backing your claim that being on a list on the watchdog site means the operators of the site have labeled the listed as abusive or harmful.  

so back to the my two questions:
 what in the Joe letter ....

where does it state on the site that listing is tantamount to being harmful and abusive?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 05:31:01 PM »

Thanks

You site Joes letter to orignally claim cult - hood for hyde, then in your most recent post refer to the Traub article.   Also you avoid backing your claim that being on a list on the watchdog site means the operators of the site have labeled the listed as abusive or harmful.  

where does it state on the site that listing is tantamount to being harmful and abusive?

First, I didn't say anything about Joe Gauld's letter.  That was someone else posting on this site.  Second, as for the watchdog group, I would encourage you to read all of the information ISAC posts on its website that explains how schools and programs end up on their "watch" list of schools and programs that have generated significant complaints.  Of course, you have the right to disagree with their process.  For myself, I'm convinced that along with whatever good that happens at Hyde there has been a history of emotional abuse and negligence.  I've witnessed it myself, as have a number of other people who have posted on this board.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 05:50:29 AM »

Thanks

First, I didn't say anything about Joe Gauld's letter.  That was someone else posting on this site.  Second, as for the watchdog group, I would encourage you to read all of the information ISAC posts on its website that explains how schools and programs end up on their "watch" list of schools and programs that have generated significant complaints.  Of course, you have the right to disagree with their process.  For myself, I'm convinced that along with whatever good that happens at Hyde there has been a history of emotional abuse and negligence.  I've witnessed it myself, as have a number of other people who have posted on this board.

OK so it some one else that won't answer my questions.  I feel better now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
negative publicity about Hyde
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 05:52:29 AM »
Another organization is posting negative information about the Hyde School.  It's called CAFETY: Community Alliance for the Ethical Treatment of Youth.  I just saw this for the first time: http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... 1&Itemid=2

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »
Seems to me that the information on ISAC and CAFETY presents a very one-sided and narrow perspective on Hyde School. Several disgruntled parents and some unfounded accusations of sexual harassment because someone was "creepy" does not make Hyde an abusive and harmful school. This kind of reckless and irresponsible "watchdog" reporting based on such sketchy information contradicts anything that I've seen at Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 04:18:54 PM »
Seems to me that the information on ISAC and CAFETY presents a very one-sided and narrow perspective on Hyde School. Several disgruntled parents and some unfounded accusations of sexual harassment because someone was "creepy" does not make Hyde an abusive and harmful school. This kind of reckless and irresponsible "watchdog" reporting based on such sketchy information contradicts anything that I've seen at Hyde.

Really?  Larry settled the sexual misconduct suit and then was forced to resign.   Sounds like it was pretty well founded.

Why do you assume that anyone with negative experiences at Hyde to be "disgruntled"?