Author Topic: Parents are warned about Hyde School by watchdog group  (Read 16936 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Parents are warned about Hyde School by watchdog group
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 04:20:46 PM »
I'd be disgruntled too if my kid got substandard education and sexually harassed by the staff.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 06:22:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I'd be disgruntled too if my kid got substandard education and sexually harassed by the staff.

Ditto

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
    • http://www.garyeskow.com
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 12:22:25 PM »
My Hyde report is on the ISAC site, and I don't believe it's one sided or unfair to the school at all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 01:25:11 PM »
Quote from: ""gary eskow""
My Hyde report is on the ISAC site, and I don't believe it's one sided or unfair to the school at all.

I recently read your report.  I think you've portrayed Hyde quite accurately.  I too have witnessed the kind of emotional abuse and warfare you describe.  I've come to the conclusion that Hyde is one of those places that sounds good in theory but is horribly destructive, and often inept, in practice.  My strong sense is that the current Hyde should be given a decent burial.  Perhaps it could be recreated in a more virtuous form with completely different leadership, staffing, and student screening protocols.   Minor surgery won't do it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 08:48:24 PM »

Yep I sure got a substandard education, but according to Joe Gauld it is all about attitude vs aptitude.  Problem is Joey, aptitude is how I am going to get into a good college.  The attitude don't mean a whole lot withouth the aptitude.  With approximately $40k a year per student how come you can't pay for good teachers??  Ha, Joey???  How come???  You are supposed to be the man with all the answers!!  I challenge you to respond to this.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 03:52:47 AM »

Yep I sure got a substandard education, but according to Joe Gauld it is all about attitude vs aptitude.  Problem is Joey, aptitude is how I am going to get into a good college.  The attitude don't mean a whole lot withouth the aptitude.  With approximately $40k a year per student how come you can't pay for good teachers??  Ha, Joey???  How come???  You are supposed to be the man with all the answers!!  I challenge you to respond to this.

I hear you.  Problem is, good teachers are usually interested in teaching their chosen material, and not interested in being spokespeople for so-called educators in the emotional growth industry.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 05:36:15 AM »

Allow me. Academics runs counter to the choral nature of all the activities at Hyde, whereby the school exercises control over the individual. Academics is just you and the material before you. It affirms you as an autonomous, reasoning, questioning, analyzing, problem-solving, decision-making individual. And that is the last thing Joe wants. Joe has "solved" the academics problem by reshaping the classroom into another group activity, with the strong students mentoring the weak ones, so that the group receives a grade. The result of this bounded learning dynamic is not quality work, but rather the opposite. Hyde has always excelled at producing singing, dancing, basketball-playing puppets --- not thinkers. Forget about academics at Hyde.

Mike

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
OOOOOO-K La Ho Maaa, where HIS Wind comes flushing 'way my brain...
 ::drummer::   ::bangin::   ::drummer::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 08:50:14 AM »
now that there is a Hyde School supporter or perhaps leader posting on the site and participating in debate , I would like to ask how do you determine attitude from aptitude?..Kids who study excell...Muhammad Ali  said "the fight is won way before I dance under the lights, in private preparation". At Hyde kids who performed well academically were (i was) singled out as "smart but not trying"...how did they know that i was not trying?? as a child I was a reader, not one who told others how hard I worked, or pretended to work hard for Hydepraise like my peers. What if I was reading the WorldBook encyclopedia as a child while the other more Joelike kids were watching Scooby Doo and telling everyone how hard they worked? Joe hated to give good grades to kids he did not personally identify with, that is why he founded Hyde School.  Perhaps he was a marginal student himself and disgruntled with others who seemed to him to work less yet achieve? His subjective opinion is more important than objective truth, the childs performance and grades,,,for almost all people aptitude IS attitude, harmony is the most important thing in communication, (with out it all is lost) Achievement IS Character and achiement builds character. Please,,,,,, discuss...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 09:22:26 AM »
Ah, sorry, I am no leader nor was one at Hyde.  Nor am I a Hyde School supporter.  Perhaps you were being sarcastic and I am too obtuse to pick it up?  My "comment" was perhaps an obscure reference to one of the musicals that Hyde had us participate in during the 1970's, duly paraphrased, and thereby indicating the removal of critical independent thought by way of Joe's wind.  Wind also can be read as flatulence.

"Smart but not trying."  I hear you.

I have also often wondered whether Joe was a marginal student himself.  Certainly his way of reasoning in various formats, e.g, school meetings, lecturing the student body, as well as what little I have read of his published news articles, leaves a lot to be desired.  He makes more informal fallacies (a term from Logic, as a subset of Philosophy) than anything save perhaps last minute speeches in a presedential campaign.  And his so-called proofs, the studies he cites, can be picked apart in a second by any intern at a respectable peer-reviewed journal.  What a joke.  Its all hoopla, and emotional persuasion (read coercion), and yes, egomaniacal flatulence.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 09:54:46 AM »
now that there is a Hyde School supporter or perhaps leader posting on the site and participating in debate , I would like to ask how do you determine attitude from aptitude?..Kids who study excell...Muhammad Ali  said "the fight is won way before I dance under the lights, in private preparation". At Hyde kids who performed well academically were (i was) singled out as "smart but not trying"...how did they know that i was not trying?? as a child I was a reader, not one who told others how hard I worked, or pretended to work hard for Hydepraise like my peers. What if I was reading the WorldBook encyclopedia as a child while the other more Joelike kids were watching Scooby Doo and telling everyone how hard they worked? Joe hated to give good grades to kids he did not personally identify with, that is why he founded Hyde School.  Perhaps he was a marginal student himself and disgruntled with others who seemed to him to work less yet achieve? His subjective opinion is more important than objective truth, the childs performance and grades,,,for almost all people aptitude IS attitude, harmony is the most important thing in communication, (with out it all is lost) Achievement IS Character and achiement builds character. Please,,,,,, discuss...

I like to give the devil his due.  Joe was/is correct that it takes more to be successful in life that scholastic achievement.

As a natural introvert I think it is good to learn how to work outside your comfort zone. I do.  It is good to be aware of how you feel and to be aware of the emotional needs of the others that are around you. IT is good to have a sense of you place in the order of the universe. You need an emotional/physical/intellectual/spiritual balance.

Academics at Hyde were extraordinarily weak when I was there.  Class taught by athletic coaches were a joke with the notable exception of Legg's class.  I actually developed a love of mathematics at hyde as a result of having a lazy coach as an instructor.  I ended up teaching the class because he was too lazy to wake up on time in the morning. Explaining my high school record to gain admission to an engineering college was a trip.

Spirituality at Hyde?  Please some one fill in the punch line to this joke.

Physical:  Hard not to be in good shape when you are there.  How many Hyde graduates engage in life long fitness?  I love to see hyde coaches that look like they live on twinkies and beer.  Love to go to those alum events and see the guys that used to wrestle 127 look like they need special springs on their SUVs

Emotional:  Spilling your guts and having a good cry is not good emotional health any more then pigging out on junk food then barfing is good nutrition.

So to some up: Joe is correct but Hyde does not deliever.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 10:14:29 AM »

I like to give the devil his due.  Joe was/is correct that it takes more to be successful in life that scholastic achievement.

As a natural introvert I think it is good to learn how to work outside your comfort zone. I do.  It is good to be aware of how you feel and to be aware of the emotional needs of the others that are around you. IT is good to have a sense of you place in the order of the universe. You need an emotional/physical/intellectual/spiritual balance.

Academics at Hyde were extraordinarily weak when I was there.  Class taught by athletic coaches were a joke with the notable exception of Legg's class.  I actually developed a love of mathematics at hyde as a result of having a lazy coach as an instructor.  I ended up teaching the class because he was too lazy to wake up on time in the morning. Explaining my high school record to gain admission to an engineering college was a trip.

Physical:  Hard not to be in good shape when you are there.  How many Hyde graduates engage in life long fitness?  I love to see hyde coaches that look like they live on twinkies and beer.  Love to go to those alum events and see the guys that used to wrestle 127 look like they need special springs on their SUVs

Emotional:  Spilling your guts and having a good cry is not good emotional health any more then pigging out on junk food then barfing is good nutrition.

Good insight, only I am not as kind as you.  I think of all the times that I was in other people's faces and feel ashamed and sorry.  I hated Hyde so much and feel horrible about what I participated in.  Yes there were some good lessons I learned at Hyde, but I certainly don't use them in the way Hyde tried to teach them.  It does not work in the real world.

As far as the twinkies, I laughed my ass off about that.  Like you I notice that as the school progresses, so do the stomachs of the staff, especially the women! I think they are eating more than twinkies!!  For a school that tries to keep the students in shape, they ought to look in the mirror.  Not a good example at all.

Hey, does anyone know if there is still a teacher at Woodstock campus name Kevin?  He is gay and a really nice guy.  Does Terry Walsh still hit the bottle and is Dubinsky still gropping the girls? I assume that Bertchy is still the "heavy weight" at the school?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 11:06:20 AM »
...it takes more to be successful in life that scholastic achievement.
 If this is the sum take-home for tens of thousands of dollars per year, I'll take my chances gleaning wisdom from a comic book.

Spirituality at Hyde?
 Read "The Making of a Messiah."  Cult, cult, cult.

Hard not to be in good shape when you are there.
 Especially with all those extra "bad attitude" laps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 11:14:26 AM »

Good insight, only I am not as kind as you.  I think of all the times that I was in other people's faces and feel ashamed and sorry.  I hated Hyde so much and feel horrible about what I participated in.  Yes there were some good lessons I learned at Hyde, but I certainly don't use them in the way Hyde tried to teach them.  It does not work in the real world.

As far as the twinkies, I laughed my ass off about that.  Like you I notice that as the school progresses, so do the stomachs of the staff, especially the women! I think they are eating more than twinkies!!  For a school that tries to keep the students in shape, they ought to look in the mirror.  Not a good example at all.

Hey, does anyone know if there is still a teacher at Woodstock campus name Kevin?  He is gay and a really nice guy.  Does Terry Walsh still hit the bottle and is Dubinsky still gropping the girls? I assume that Bertchy is still the "heavy weight" at the school?

Mal, Laurie and their respective spouses are in pretty good shape. But the others you mention .... do as I say not as I do.  Your body is a Temple, some folks are polytheistic and want to make room for lots of gods.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »

Mal, Laurie and their respective spouses are in pretty good shape. But the others you mention .... do as I say not as I do.