Author Topic: my expierience  (Read 12193 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 05:49:47 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""Ursus""
I appreciate your comment.  When I was Bill's age, I had blinders on too.    And the comment could have been expanded to include not only thick neck, but thick head too, as applied to me.  Maybe if someone had cared enough or bothered enough to make that comment to me, I might have woken up sooner.  Who knows...

Quote from: ""guest""
Hyde is not the only program that needs to be shut down. There are lots of programs like Hyde that need to be regulated. It is very dangerous to send your kid to a program or school that isn't regulated by the department of education. Whether it be a wilderness program, a "character based" school, a therapuetic boarding school, etc, we need to protect our children!
 The problem with these types of places is the premise that thought coercion and behavior modification works and is to the benefit of the child.  Notice that so-called followup studies always evaluate after 2 months or so and then a year, never more than that.  It is later that the shit really hits the fan.  Nobody appreciates having their mind fucked with and there is understandably a certain and expected amount of rage that erupts as a backlash to that.  It is an undeniable assault to the dignity and the autonomy of the human spirit.  You can not disrespect a kid more than that.

I found the following quote on the ISACCORP website.  Really bizarre!!  It was written by Joe Gauld the founder of Hyde Schools.
Since kids - and their parents have been far more immersed in this counter growth culture than has Hyde, Hyde can be far more objective about how to best address the true growth needs of kids. And given the limited time available, Hyde insists on being the final judge on growth issues. We are in a better position than parents to determine a students true best, and further we consider our commitment to help each student realize that best a sacred trust.

This Joe Gauld character (speaking of character education) sounds like a man with delusions of grandeur.  Hyde must be quite a place with someone like him at the helm.  I can picture him berating students and acting quite sanctimoniously.  Is that the right profile?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 07:50:03 AM »
Jesus Christ!

Transcend animal instincts?  Hyde just redirects it.  Bad family dynamics?  Sure substitute the Gauld families' bad dynamics for yours.  A new youth culture?  I am seeing a  social realism poster in my mind with two young people holding up Joe's Little Red Book.  Where does he get this stuff from?

What a hoot

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 07:53:59 AM »
Well, I suppose one could say he has his "endearing qualities," but then so did Jim Jones and we all know now how that scenario ended up.  I think the correct term might be one of a few rather unflattering profiles in a Psychology 101 textbook, which I feel constrained to elaborate on at the moment...

see here for the full pontification:
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=17336&start=14
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 08:29:57 AM »
I appreciate your comment.  When I was Bill's age, I had blinders on too.    And the comment could have been expanded to include not only thick neck, but thick head too, as applied to me.  Maybe if someone had cared enough or bothered enough to make that comment to me, I might have woken up sooner.  Who knows...

Quote from: ""guest""
Hyde is not the only program that needs to be shut down. There are lots of programs like Hyde that need to be regulated. It is very dangerous to send your kid to a program or school that isn't regulated by the department of education. Whether it be a wilderness program, a "character based" school, a therapuetic boarding school, etc, we need to protect our children!
 The problem with these types of places is the premise that thought coercion and behavior modification works and is to the benefit of the child.  Notice that so-called followup studies always evaluate after 2 months or so and then a year, never more than that.  It is later that the shit really hits the fan.  Nobody appreciates having their mind fucked with and there is understandably a certain and expected amount of rage that erupts as a backlash to that.  It is an undeniable assault to the dignity and the autonomy of the human spirit.  You can not disrespect a kid more than that.

I found the following quote on the ISACCORP website.  Really bizarre!!  It was written by Joe Gauld the founder of Hyde Schools.
Since kids - and their parents have been far more immersed in this counter growth culture than has Hyde, Hyde can be far more objective about how to best address the true growth needs of kids. And given the limited time available, Hyde insists on being the final judge on growth issues. We are in a better position than parents to determine a students true best, and further we consider our commitment to help each student realize that best a sacred trust.

This Joe Gauld character (speaking of character education) sounds like a man with delusions of grandeur.  Hyde must be quite a place with someone like him at the helm.  I can picture him berating students and acting quite sanctimoniously.  Is that the right profile?

The words "obedience" and "submission" come to mind when I think of the "Hyde Experience."  Seems that this Joe Gauld who runs the place believes he is the messiah!  After reading some of this material on this website I would say that this Hyde School is as close to a Cult as they come.

The question at this point might be, how can you help change Hyde School or is it beyond repair and should it be shut down?  Will the administration listen to constructive critism and are they willing to make some changes that could include changing their hiring practices?  Are they willing to take a look at themselves and turn over the reigns to people better qualified to give a true Character Educatiion which includes positive reinforcement?  Are they willing to have professional staff living on campus who will deal with problems such as depression, anorexia, drug and alcohol abuse?  How about these kids who have had some form of sexual abuse both at home and at the hands of Hyde? What does Hyde do for them other than seminaring?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 10:05:10 AM »
Well, I suppose one could say he has his "endearing qualities," but then so did Jim Jones and we all know now how that scenario ended up.  I think the correct term might be one of a few rather unflattering profiles in a Psychology 101 textbook, which I feel constrained to elaborate on at the moment...

see here for the full pontification:
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=17336&start=14

Some one posted on this site a description of a set of personal behaviors. You read down the list and you say "yup,thats Joe, yup thats Joe ..."  then you get to the end.  The description is of Adolf Hitler.  Pretty shocking.  Joe and Adolf had the same bad family dynamic" doting mother, strict step father.  Perhaps one of you dedicated anti-cooersive types could fish that out and post it here.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »
Okay, guys, here you go...  I hope this is what you are looking for?  This was from March 2006.  The link will take you straight to that post in case you want to read onwards (or "pre-wards") in the thread; in the meantime, I've copied the requested portion below.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=13050&start=146
...The words "rage, "abuse," "tirade," "tantrum," and "outburst" come to mind, although the list is by no means exhaustive.

In fact, the following passage, written by the CIA's predecessor agency about another individual who had memorable rages, contains various details (e.g., biting objects, spittle, purple face) that might ring a bell for you [I have substituted the name of Joe for the name of the original subject]:

"Almost everyone who has written about [Joe Gauld] has commented on his rages. These are well known to all of his associates and they have learned to fear them. The descriptions of his behavior during these rages vary considerably. The more extreme descriptions claim that at the climax he rolls on the floor and chews on [substitute "tennis balls" for "the carpets"] ...
Even without this added touch of chewing [substitute "tennis balls" for "the carpet"], his behavior is still extremely violent and shows an utter lack of emotional control. In the worst rages he undoubtedly acts like a spoiled child who cannot have his own way and bangs his fists on the tables and walls. He scolds and shouts and stammers and on some occasions foaming saliva gathers in the corners of his mouth ...

"He was an alarming sight, his hair disheveled, his eyes fixed, and his face distorted and purple. I feared that he would collapse or have a stroke ...

"It must not be supposed, however, that these rages occur only when he is crossed on major issues. On the contrary, very insignificant matters might call out this reaction. In general they are brought on whenever anyone contradicts him, when there is unpleasant news for which he might feel responsible, when there is any skepticism concerning his judgment or when a situation arises in which his infallibility might be challenged or belittled. ... [A]mong his staff there is a tactic [sic] understanding: "For God's sake don't excite [Joe] - which means do not tell him bad news -- do not mention things which are not as he conceives them to be."

"Many writers believe that these rages are just play acting. There is much to be said for this point of view since [Joe's] first reaction to the unpleasant situation is not indignation, as one would ordinarily expect under these circumstances. He goes off into a rage or tirade without warning. Similarly, when he has finished, there is no aftermath. He immediately cools down and begins to talk about other matters in a perfectly calm tone of voice as though nothing had happened. Occasionally he will look around sheepishly, as if to see if anyone is laughing, and then proceeds with other matters, without the slightest trace of resentment.

"Some of his closest associates have felt that he induces these rages consciously to frighten those about him ... [a] technique by which he would throw his entire entourage into confusion by well-timed fits of rage and thus make them more submissive ...

"Rage and abuse became the favorite weapons in his armory ...

"This is not the time to enter into a detailed discussion concerning the nature and purpose of the rages. It is sufficient, for the present time, to realize that his associates are well aware that [Joe] can and does behave in this way. It is a part of the [Joe] they know and are forced to deal with. We may point out, however, that they are not conscious acting alone since it is quite impossible for an actor to actually become purple in the face unless he really is in an emotional state.

"... If we examine the causes of these outbursts, we almost invariably find that the trigger which sets them off is something which he considers to be a challenge of his super-man personality. It may be a contradiction, a criticism or even a doubt concerning the truth or wisdom of something he has said or done, or it might be a slight or the anticipation of opposition. Even though the subject may be trifling or the challenge only by implication, or even wholly imagined, he feels called upon to display his primitive character ... To contradict him is in his eyes a crime of 'lese-majeste'; opposition to his plans, from whatever it may come, is a definite sacrilege, to which the only reply is an immediate and striking display of his omnipotence.

"As soon as his display has served its purpose and cowed his listeners into submission, it is turned off as suddenly as it was turned on. How great is the insecurity which demands such constant vigilence and apprehension!

"... we must ferret out and seek to correct the underlying factors which produced the unwelcome phenomenon. We must discover the psychological streams which nourish this destructive state of mind in order that we may divert them into channels which will permit a further evolution of our form of civilization."

Source:
http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/h/hit ... index.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 02:24:30 PM »
Okay, guys, here you go...  I hope this is what you are looking for?  This was from March 2006.  The link will take you straight to that post in case you want to read onwards (or "pre-wards") in the thread; in the meantime, I've copied the requested portion below.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=13050&start=146
...The words "rage, "abuse," "tirade," "tantrum," and "outburst" come to mind, although the list is by no means exhaustive.

In fact, the following passage, written by the CIA's predecessor agency about another individual who had memorable rages, contains various details (e.g., biting objects, spittle, purple face) that might ring a bell for you [I have substituted the name of Joe for the name of the original subject]:

"Almost everyone who has written about [Joe Gauld] has commented on his rages. These are well known to all of his associates and they have learned to fear them. The descriptions of his behavior during these rages vary considerably. The more extreme descriptions claim that at the climax he rolls on the floor and chews on [substitute "tennis balls" for "the carpets"] ...
Even without this added touch of chewing [substitute "tennis balls" for "the carpet"], his behavior is still extremely violent and shows an utter lack of emotional control. In the worst rages he undoubtedly acts like a spoiled child who cannot have his own way and bangs his fists on the tables and walls. He scolds and shouts and stammers and on some occasions foaming saliva gathers in the corners of his mouth ...

"He was an alarming sight, his hair disheveled, his eyes fixed, and his face distorted and purple. I feared that he would collapse or have a stroke ...

"It must not be supposed, however, that these rages occur only when he is crossed on major issues. On the contrary, very insignificant matters might call out this reaction. In general they are brought on whenever anyone contradicts him, when there is unpleasant news for which he might feel responsible, when there is any skepticism concerning his judgment or when a situation arises in which his infallibility might be challenged or belittled. ... [A]mong his staff there is a tactic [sic] understanding: "For God's sake don't excite [Joe] - which means do not tell him bad news -- do not mention things which are not as he conceives them to be."

"Many writers believe that these rages are just play acting. There is much to be said for this point of view since [Joe's] first reaction to the unpleasant situation is not indignation, as one would ordinarily expect under these circumstances. He goes off into a rage or tirade without warning. Similarly, when he has finished, there is no aftermath. He immediately cools down and begins to talk about other matters in a perfectly calm tone of voice as though nothing had happened. Occasionally he will look around sheepishly, as if to see if anyone is laughing, and then proceeds with other matters, without the slightest trace of resentment.

"Some of his closest associates have felt that he induces these rages consciously to frighten those about him ... [a] technique by which he would throw his entire entourage into confusion by well-timed fits of rage and thus make them more submissive ...

"Rage and abuse became the favorite weapons in his armory ...

"This is not the time to enter into a detailed discussion concerning the nature and purpose of the rages. It is sufficient, for the present time, to realize that his associates are well aware that [Joe] can and does behave in this way. It is a part of the [Joe] they know and are forced to deal with. We may point out, however, that they are not conscious acting alone since it is quite impossible for an actor to actually become purple in the face unless he really is in an emotional state.

"... If we examine the causes of these outbursts, we almost invariably find that the trigger which sets them off is something which he considers to be a challenge of his super-man personality. It may be a contradiction, a criticism or even a doubt concerning the truth or wisdom of something he has said or done, or it might be a slight or the anticipation of opposition. Even though the subject may be trifling or the challenge only by implication, or even wholly imagined, he feels called upon to display his primitive character ... To contradict him is in his eyes a crime of 'lese-majeste'; opposition to his plans, from whatever it may come, is a definite sacrilege, to which the only reply is an immediate and striking display of his omnipotence.

"As soon as his display has served its purpose and cowed his listeners into submission, it is turned off as suddenly as it was turned on. How great is the insecurity which demands such constant vigilence and apprehension!

"... we must ferret out and seek to correct the underlying factors which produced the unwelcome phenomenon. We must discover the psychological streams which nourish this destructive state of mind in order that we may divert them into channels which will permit a further evolution of our form of civilization."

Source:
http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/h/hit ... index.html

And this is a man you entrust your kids to?  He sounds more like a psycho than someone who runs a boarding school that teaches character education.  

Does he also run the charter schools?  Certainly there are more stringent rules that he cannot break when dealing with public monies.  This must drive a man like him crazy.  It would be a form of abuse if he were to have his tirades at the charter schools.  Am i correct about this?  Is there anyone on this board who is affiliated with the Charter Schools who can answer this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
I was a real hoot to watch him bite and gnaw at a tennis ball.  Talk about controlling and transcending animal instincts.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
Let's get animal, animal, I wanna get animal, let's get into animal
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk, let me hear your body talk

Oblivious Neutron Bomb

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 09:42:25 AM »
Let's get animal, animal, I wanna get animal, let's get into animal
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk, let me hear your body talk

Oblivious Neutron Bomb

Ooo Dreamweaver, I believe you can
get me through the night
Ooo Dreamweaver, I believe we can
reach the morning light

Bow wow, Joe.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 10:46:51 AM »
...Due to his time serving in the British Colonial Office in Malaya, Burgess thought that the phrase could be used punningly to refer to a mechanically responsive (clockwork) human (orang, Malay for "person"). It is possible, however, that Burgess invented the phrase as a play upon the expression "a work of pith and moment".

Burgess wrote in his later introduction, A Clockwork Orange Resucked, that a creature who can only perform good or evil is "a clockwork orange--meaning that he has the appearance of an organism lovely with colour and juice, but is in fact only a clockwork toy to be wound up by God or the Devil; or the almighty state."

In his essay "Clockwork Oranges"², Burgess asserts that "this title would be appropriate for a story about the application of Pavlovian, or mechanical, laws to an organism which, like a fruit, was capable of colour and sweetness". This title alludes to the protagonist's negatively conditioned responses to feelings of evil which prevent the exercise of his free will.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:49:47 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 11:53:25 AM »
...Due to his time serving in the British Colonial Office in Malaya, Burgess thought that the phrase could be used punningly to refer to a mechanically responsive (clockwork) human (orang, Malay for "person"). It is possible, however, that Burgess invented the phrase as a play upon the expression "a work of pith and moment".

Burgess wrote in his later introduction, A Clockwork Orange Resucked, that a creature who can only perform good or evil is "a clockwork orange ? meaning that he has the appearance of an organism lovely with colour and juice, but is in fact only a clockwork toy to be wound up by God or the Devil; or the almighty state."

In his essay "Clockwork Oranges"², Burgess asserts that "this title would be appropriate for a story about the application of Pavlovian, or mechanical, laws to an organism which, like a fruit, was capable of colour and sweetness". This title alludes to the protagonist's negatively conditioned responses to feelings of evil which prevent the exercise of his free will.

Mr Bear,

Thanks for that truely horrorshow post.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Image:Cloc ... t_milk.jpg

yours,

alex

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 03:48:45 PM »
It would be a form of abuse if he were to have his tirades at the charter schools.  Am i correct about this?  

It's all abuse. From A to Z.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 05:08:35 PM »
It would be a form of abuse if he were to have his tirades at the charter schools.  Am i correct about this?  

It's all abuse. From A to Z.

Who was it that said daylight is the best disinfectant?   Some of that stuff that happens at the boarding schools, like mushrooms, can only take place in the dark.  In the daylight of public accountably it can not exist.  I would guess that was what drove the letter that Joe wrote to DC board apologizing for his behavior.  That must have been a bitter pill for him to swallow.  I can see him thrashing about in the throws of a tantrum like Helen Keller in the "Miracle Worker" coming to terms with it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
my expierience
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 05:48:10 PM »
I think you all will be shocked if you go to WWW.guidestar.com.  You can register for free and then type in Hyde Schools. Go to the 990 form that is public information.  This is the IRS form that Hyde has to fill out as a non profit.  You can see the information for Hyde School Woodstock, Hyde School DC, Hyde Foundation, and Hyde School Bath Maine.  I was flabergasted to see the bucks they have at that place.  Boy do I feel like a fool and so will you if you look at this information.  SHAME ON YOU HYDE!!!  How dare you get up in the auditorium and infer that you are doing this for the kids and then beg us for money saying that the school needs it in spite of the high tuition!  It is obvious by looking at these IRS forms that you could charge a lot less money for tuition, although you then would not be as wealthy as you are!!  Amazing that you can't bring yourself to spending more money on professional staff and on the kids!!  The $$$ are certainly there!!