Author Topic: Anyone heard of this guy: Doug Thorburn  (Read 1527 times)

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
Anyone heard of this guy: Doug Thorburn
« on: February 08, 2003, 12:27:00 AM »
Take this guys little quiz http://www.equalparts.com/thorburn/tsari.html

Basically one yes answer and you are immediately 25-50% chance of being an addict. Answer just 2 or 3 and he claims that you are almost certainly an addict. He insists that "experts" consider him to be redefining the science of addiction and treatment. He claims that just about anyone who acts badly or irrationally, immorally or self-destructively is an addict.

He is a self-appointed expert on addiction although he really is a tax professional/financial planner. Or at least that seems to be a claim he can back up.

He is advertising in Randy Cassinghams this is true newsletter which seems very odd since he is staunchly against the drug war.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »
I answered yes to:

Inflated ego
Good Liar
Family History
High Tollerence (I weigh 260 and a at rest pulse if 48)

The survey said I had an 86% chance of being a drunk. Pretty sketchy for such a diagnosis. Here's the question I found most ambiguous:

"Does s/he frequently drink champagne, martinis or hard liquor mixed with soda? " Considering the AMA recommends one drink a day for improved cardio health, everyone would be a drunk.

CL

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »
That's the best I've done on a test in a while.  I got 100%!!!  :rofl:
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 08:51:00 AM »
we're so proud of you! ::cheers::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 04:32:00 PM »
I talked to this guy on the phone and found out that the test is a precurer to people who think they are in a relationship w/ an alcoholic...The test should be done by people who know you and NOT YOU YOURSELF... His approach is to be "NON CO DEPENDANT" He does not ffer any info on treatment and does not counsil addicts ect.. His experience is with being involved w/ abusive alcoholics and wants people who are in possible difficulty due to alco. and drug abuase to know the signs so that they can remove themselves from the situation so if you want to talk to him he has a tol free # on his web site just wait till after tax season

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 12:27:00 AM »
I answered in relation to my own child and got 80%.

I'd say that the 2 answers I gave that got me the 80% were in relation to her BEST attributes.  This guy's hysterical. The U.S. is going insane.  Doug Thorburn is just one example of why.

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 03:17:00 AM »
Sadly he is advertising in This Is True, an email newsletter by Randy Cassingham. It is downright hillarious and Randy is an ardent opponent of drug war stupidity, zero tolerance, and people "helping" people to death.

http://www.thisistrue.com

I can't very well ask the guy to stop running the ads since this is not exactly a flush time to be running an online newsletter but it is strange nonetheless. I might send a letter indicating that he might want to check out this guy. He has done it before on some of his more questionable ads like for cure-all vitamin supplements and stuff.

I guess its not enough to be a disorganized, belligerent asshole anymore. Now its got to be some kind of chemical imbalance or addiction. You can't just sleep around, you have to be a sex addict, you can't just like getting drunk, its because your a binge drinker or an alcoholic.

Spend-aholic, laugh-aholic. Where does it end? The idea that no one is responsible for their actions and behaviors and that no negative behavior is the result of conscious choice is the precursor to the end of personal freedom. It gives them an excuse to medicate or "treat" anyone who does not seem "normal".

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-02-22 00:21 ]
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 03:31:00 AM »
you're being sarcastic, aren't you? :wstupid: