Author Topic: Who was going to the med cart and what were they getting?  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Who was going to the med cart and what were they getting
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2006, 02:15:35 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I never went to the med cart much, so I am curious who was and what they were getting. If you put the approx time period and which Straight you were in that would be good because I think certain times and branches had different practices.

I'm sure it was someting "Yummy"
Springfield "82-"85
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Who was going to the med cart and what were they getting?
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2006, 02:50:55 AM »
Quote from: ""Love Ya Group""
I used to shoot smack with Ruth Ann Newton and watch her and Shawn Arno dyke out.  I know this has nothing to do wit the thread, except for the time they 69ed on the med cart, but I wanted to share it with you anyway.
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: Thanks man! I needed that!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Gah

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2006, 10:40:42 PM »
Quote from: ""Carmel""
Bandages or neosporin for the pickers and cutters.

That really pisses me off, so badly that I had to step away for a few days to come back and reply. When I was in Straight in Richardson, I had so many cuts on my arms. Staff took me into the bathroom and poored rubbing alcohol over my sores. The doctor never looked at them. I never got one bandage of any kind. When they would restrain me, the kids would get grossed out and try not to touch them, some would start gagging cause you could see the bumpy fatty tissue inside my sores, maybe it was the blood that made them gag. When I left and went to the mental ward, they counted like 50 sores on my arms. I never got a bandage.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2006, 05:04:07 PM »
Quote from: ""Gah""
Quote from: ""Carmel""
Bandages or neosporin for the pickers and cutters.

That really pisses me off, so badly that I had to step away for a few days to come back and reply. When I was in Straight in Richardson, I had so many cuts on my arms. Staff took me into the bathroom and poored rubbing alcohol over my sores. The doctor never looked at them. I never got one bandage of any kind. When they would restrain me, the kids would get grossed out and try not to touch them, some would start gagging cause you could see the bumpy fatty tissue inside my sores, maybe it was the blood that made them gag. When I left and went to the mental ward, they counted like 50 sores on my arms. I never got a bandage.

Sorry bout that.  I was in Irving, so Richardson was somewhat before my time.  We were always warned about the "good ole days" when things were so rough we had it posh in comparison, whatever that was all about.

Anyways, you should know that it was the "beginning of the end" when I was there, the state was putting strategic pressure on the program there in Texas, so the staff began implementing strategic responses that carried the illusion of concern in them....all without changing really anything much at all.  Kids were offered first aid supplies, but more often than not you just saw someone being four pointed to their chair all day long so they couldnt reach their wounds while in group.  They stopped calling cop-outs cop-outs, and called them elopers.  What the fuck this accomplished is beyond me, but you get the idea.  Ex-parents were largely responsible I think for helping to focus the attention on what was going down there.  it was rare that anyone got pulled who wasnt a long time non-compliant who was nine of ten likely to be someone who self mutilated.  No one was graduating hardly at all, so when thats the only product being churned out, someone is bound to start asking questions.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »
They used to say that about Phoenix. "If you think this is bad you should have been here when it was the real Straight." Which I do think the Straight staff had to clean some of it up in order to reopen but who knows.
However, our med cart had lots and lots of behavior modifying drugs. I think almost everyone there was on them. The second day of my program this cartoon- like psychiatrist came and asked me if I heard any voices that were not there. After spending a solid week high on PCP, I heard all kinds of lovely things but it wasn't because I was psycho. So nice Mr. Shrink put me on an anti-psychotic and left me on it for the entire 17 months I was there. Only to find out by my real doc that the drug he put me on was only a temporary drug and that I was lucky to not have facial ticks from Mr. Shrink's stupidity. We also had a nurse that stayed on staff. Thank God we did not have to have pelvic exams as part of intake![/quote]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2006, 07:58:19 PM »
I used to get PILLLLLLLSSSS at Str8, yeah, baby, gimme some more of them fine PILLLSs ya got ther Doc Newton, I needss me sum mo of them gofddamn PILLZZZ!@!???!!@1!

Hurry up with htoe piLLSSS!!!  I WAAAnnnn a pills like Dr, Newewton give me back in Straght!

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2006, 08:03:26 PM »
Sure thing, druggie..

Just sit tight; we'll give you all the pills that u need to get Straight!

Fucktard! Dispatch the StraightMobile? right away!
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »
So it seems like str8 had no middle ground regarding meds...either little to no meds or overmedicating....both ways are fucked up.

If I remember right, in Cincy (84-86) you couldnt get an freakin aspirin w/o permission and only then if you were lucky....most often I believe those requests were denied...yet somewhere along the line str8 switched to the overmedication approach...wonder how they made that leap?  :roll:
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2006, 08:24:03 PM »
no aspirin or anything, even when I had dental work done.  The host mom did give me neosporin after I cut myself (frustration induced carving, I felt like a cagwed animal, which is about right....).  Not a bit of concern from the staff, though.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 09:26:34 AM »
I may have told this story somewhere here already, but it applies.

One night I was walking my newcomers out to the car after group and I had this one new girl with me on one arm (we were switched to "arm linking" instead of belt-looping) and she decided she was going to go directly ape-shit on me out of nowhere. Rather than risk certain death by way of letting go of her and getting confronted, I chose to risk certain death by being drug to the ground and my head subsequently smashed into a parking space divider instead.  I blacked out for a few moments and came around finally, trying desperately to locate her so i wouldnt get put on a refresher for losing my newcomer.  Funny that, how my mind was so hardwired it kept trying to function for the program even when my consciousness had left the building.

I had a concussion, no doubt...it was several hours before i was right enough to function properly.  Anyways, staff just sort of asked me if I was ok, and I said I thought so but that I couldnt see or think right.  They were satisfied that I was standing and sent me on my way with the host parents.  

Just as we were pulling away, one guy on staff from California came up to the window and knocked.....he looked at me and i thought I was gonna get ripped right there in the car, but instead he told us all, the parents included....that we had permission to go DIRECTLY to the hospital or emergency room if we thought it was necessary, and all blanketed permission to do whatever needed to be done.  Looking back now, I know by the look on his face that he didnt give that permission because he was told to.  He did it because he knew something very bad had happened and wanted to help me.

Apparently he wasnt the only one who thought it was a bad situation.  Several months later when the investigators came to take interviews with the clients, I was asked for by name, and specificaaly questioned about that night in detail.  Someone who had left the program or parent or something had told them about it.  Of course, i dont recall what I told them, I am sure i tried to play it off as trivial....again, fear at the helm.

I was lucky, one girl who got her arm broken (shes dead now) got nothing but a sling.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2006, 09:31:35 AM »
but it applies.

Apply it to yourself!  :)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bob's tats
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
he was an older guy from prison if i remember correctly. I had to stay at his house for an early morning court date, Pierce Kuhn was the staff member sent to guard me.