Author Topic: Straight INC. Movie on youtube.com  (Read 18210 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Re: Straight INC. Movie on youtube.com
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »
Quote from: ""S""
Quote from: ""Guest""
Straight Inc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3566FZOQqks
Can't find. Is it under"VIDEOS" ?

Try this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3566FZ0Qqks

If that doesn't work, go to search at top and type in Straight, inc.   It should be the first video
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Straight INC. Movie on youtube.com
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2006, 09:35:33 AM »
Damn, that must have been strange.  I knew all about Straight before I went in.  Some of my friends had broken one of their girlfriends out about a year before I went in.  She was a big, strong girl and the horror stories she told freaked all of us out.  As soon as we pulled into the parking lot and I realized where I was my heart sank.  I knew what I was in for and I was scared shitless.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2006, 09:42:04 AM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Damn, that must have been strange.  I knew all about Straight before I went in.  Some of my friends had broken one of their girlfriends out about a year before I went in.  She was a big, strong girl and the horror stories she told freaked all of us out.  As soon as we pulled into the parking lot and I realized where I was my heart sank.  I knew what I was in for and I was scared shitless.

I was kidnapped by two thugs to be taken to Straight. I had already been in one residential for 18 months prior and a psyche ward in between.  I fought the entire time. Probably the worst day of my life besides losing my first husband in a car accident...
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »
Quote from: ""GregFL""
More like it was written to take credit for ideas that straight stole from Art Barker.  By the time Newton Wrote his book, this stuff was old hat.

Quote from: ""001010""
True, but it was still a conditioning and promotional movie for Straight, Inc.

Both are good points.  Miller took what he could from Art and the Seed and then put is own sadistic little twists on it.  

That movie came on one afternoon about 10 or 12 years ago.  Creeped me .

Don't give Miller too much credit.  He wasn't even around at the beginning of Straight.  He was just another Straight Parent, hired because of his degree to try to lend some veil of legitimacy to the program due to his degree.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2006, 09:49:31 AM »
I always feel a pang of envy when I think about misbehavers and fighting.  I wish I had, but back then I was so timid and scared of everyone and everything.  Came from living with a controlling, domineering father.  I just felt so trapped.  I knew what Straight was about, I knew there was no way in hell that my dad would ever give up or admit he made a mistake.  I knew I was fucked.  I ended up on first phase for 8 months, the first time, because I wouldn't admit to any drug use beyond pot and drinking.  That's all I had done but there was a staff member there that went to the same school as me.  He told everyone that he knew I had done cocaine and a few other drugs.  I hadn't even seen it yet.  Of course I finally did "admit" what they wanted to hear.  After that it was all over.  I knew they had won.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 09:52:24 AM »
I don't think anyone here is trying to give Miller credit. He was a tool. It may not have even been his writing... That movie was a marketing tool for the program. A 1 hour and 37 minute commercial for Straight.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 09:55:18 AM »
I always feel a pang of envy when I think about misbehavers and fighting.  I wish I had, but back then I was so timid and scared of everyone and everything.  Came from living with a controlling, domineering father.  I just felt so trapped.  I knew what Straight was about, I knew there was no way in hell that my dad would ever give up or admit he made a mistake.  I knew I was fucked.  I ended up on first phase for 8 months, the first time, because I wouldn't admit to any drug use beyond pot and drinking.  That's all I had done but there was a staff member there that went to the same school as me.  He told everyone that he knew I had done cocaine and a few other drugs.  I hadn't even seen it yet.  Of course I finally did "admit" what they wanted to hear.  After that it was all over.  I knew they had won.

I didn't fight after my first day. I knew I had to submit or suffer longer. I was honest throughout my entire program and still got confronted for being "FOS." I was there for another 18-20 months...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 09:57:35 AM »
Don't give Miller too much credit.  He wasn't even around at the beginning of Straight.  He was just another Straight Parent, hired because of his degree to try to lend some veil of legitimacy to the program due to his degree.

I hear ya, but Newton did put his own spin on it and it was pretty fucking sadistic.  Fucker enjoyed the control and it just fed his messiah complex.  You're right though, he did take credit for what Art had built.  You should read Agent Orange's section on Seed, Straight, Art, Miller, Mel and the whole industry.  He just rips 'em to shreds.  Plus the hate mail he gets is funny as all hell.

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-gulags.html

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 10:16:18 AM »
Quote from: ""H. L. Mencken""
The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.

)))==========={:tup:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 11:40:32 AM »
Quote from: ""motor-booty""
Quote from: ""4Reagan2Youth0""
It's kinda funny how the harder people try to make her look bad, the better she looks.
Would you do her? :D

I wouldn't fuck Samantha "Montel" Monroe with a STOLEN dick!

"cause you keep all the dicks you steal in your mouth.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »
Quote from: ""motor-booty""
Quote from: ""4Reagan2Youth0""
It's kinda funny how the harder people try to make her look bad, the better she looks.
Would you do her? :D

I wouldn't fuck Samantha "Montel" Monroe with a STOLEN dick!

"cause you keep all the dicks you steal in your mouth.

:rofl:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 12:53:18 PM »
I don't think anyone here is trying to give Miller credit. He was a tool. It may not have even been his writing... That movie was a marketing tool for the program. A 1 hour and 37 minute commercial for Straight.

I meant in the context of giving him any credence to his claims of developing any treatment model whatsover.  The whole damn thing was plagarized.  He only added his own brand of assholery to it, as countless other copycat programs have done.

Miller tried to take credit for Straight's treatment modality, which was lifted verbatim from the Seed. The entire modality from the 7 steps to the raps, the foster parent system, to the guards at the gate to the placement of the chairs, the posters on the walls, the oldcomer/necomer dynamic, senior/junior staff, moral inventories, permission to pee, motivating, Going home, confessionalls, seperating the sexes, isolation from outsiders, serenity prayer, love raps, confrontation raps, refreshers and starting over...all this and much more we all just zeroxed from the Seed.  Miller added a couple of trite little things that didn't change a thing in the overall context of what was occuring and then wrote a book that seems to take credit for the whole damn thing.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 01:03:11 PM »
I do remember that Greg.  I remember him having a conversation with my dad about that around the time of the 60 Minutes thing.  Going on and on about "his" revolutionary treatment for kids.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 02:20:50 PM »

I meant in the context of giving him any credence to his claims of developing any treatment model whatsover.  The whole damn thing was plagarized.  He only added his own brand of assholery to it, as countless other copycat programs have done.

Miller tried to take credit for Straight's treatment modality, which was lifted verbatim from the Seed. The entire modality from the 7 steps to the raps, the foster parent system, to the guards at the gate to the placement of the chairs, the posters on the walls, the oldcomer/necomer dynamic, senior/junior staff, moral inventories, permission to pee, motivating, Going home, confessionalls, seperating the sexes, isolation from outsiders, serenity prayer, love raps, confrontation raps, refreshers and starting over...all this and much more we all just zeroxed from the Seed.  Miller added a couple of trite little things that didn't change a thing in the overall context of what was occuring and then wrote a book that seems to take credit for the whole damn thing.

Well, he is a megalomaniac.

So where did Werner Erhard steal his material from?  EST is Discovery which is almost a carbon copy of the Straight/Seed model as well. Didn't all this brainwashing and stripping of rights and identity stem from the Zen master approach used by the Chinese communists during the Korean War on their POWs?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:38 PM »
I don't really think so.  Even tho some of the techniques are similar, I think the techniques have more in common with a kind of weird mixture of AA doctrine with Moonie recruiting methods...mixed in with an involuntary setting.

If you are looking for the absolute genesis for the idea to form the Seed, then perhaps we will never *know*, we only have Aert's self serving accounts which to me seem rather suspect and loose with the truth.  What we do know is that Art Barker was an AA devotee, started a drug rehab that was went from being an open door voluntary rehab, to quickly admitting 1000s of kids with the governments help and incorporating the involuntary aspects.  During this time he was developing a messiah complex. All of the techniques of the seed seemed to come on rather rapidly.   Soon, the seed stopped getting federal funding and it eventually reverted back to a kind of creepy rehab cult.

We cannot Tie the roots to chinese/korean torture institutes.  we can only comment that some of the techniques seem lifted from there.  NOr can we tie (at least not yet) it to the synanon, only comment about the creepy similarities.  We can draw the conclusion that the synanon and the Seed were both started by AA people.

This is all I can really tell you, after years of researching it, on where it *comes* from.  I think looking back at the influence of the Federal government and the rapid change in the modality, and the connection of Dupont to the Synanon, we can draw some inferences, but direct tangible evidence does not exist that connects the Seed any further back than itself.  At least none that I have been shown.    All the evidence is indirect.  I am personally convinced, but can't substantiate it, that along with the federal funding of the seed came some Conditions and consultants in the form of several seed staff members from a synanon offshoot program.