Author Topic: What is Emotional Abuse?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What is Emotional Abuse?
« on: August 06, 2006, 08:45:28 PM »
Hi Girls, So which one is at odds with what we've all agreed John Mercer has been guilty of but deny abuse occurred??
--

Like other forms of violence in relationships, emotional abuse is based on power and control. The following are widely recognized as forms of emotional abuse:

Rejecting - refusing to acknowledge a person's presence, value or worth; communicating to a person that she or he is useless or inferior; devaluing her/his thoughts and feelings. Example: repeatedly treating a child differently from siblings in a way that suggests resentment, rejection or dislike for the child.

Degrading - insulting, ridiculing, name calling, imitating and infantilizing; behaviour which diminishes the identity, dignity and self-worth of the person. Examples: yelling, swearing, publicly humiliating or labelling a person as stupid; mimicking a person's disability; treating a senior as if she or he cannot make decisions.

Terrorizing - inducing terror or extreme fear in a person; coercing by intimidation; placing or threatening to place a person in an unfit or dangerous environment. Examples: forcing a child to watch violent acts toward other family members or pets; threatening to leave, physically hurt or kill a person, pets or people she/he cares about; threatening to destroy a person's possessions; threatening to have a person deported or put in an institution; stalking.

Isolating - physical confinement; restricting normal contact with others; limiting freedom within a person's own environment. Examples: excluding a senior from participating in decisions about her or his own life; locking a child in a closet or room alone; refusing a female partner or senior access to her or his own money and financial affairs; withholding contact with grandchildren; depriving a person of mobility aids or transportation.

Corrupting/Exploiting - socializing a person into accepting ideas or behaviour which oppose legal standards; using a person for advantage or profit; training a child to serve the interests of the abuser and not of the child. Examples: child sexual abuse; permitting a child to use alcohol or drugs; enticing a person into the sex trade.

Denying Emotional Responsiveness - failing to provide care in a sensitive and responsive manner; being detached and uninvolved; interacting only when necessary; ignoring a person's mental health needs. Examples: ignoring a child's attempt to interact; failing to show affection, caring and/or love for a child; treating a senior who lives in an institution as though she/he is an object or "a job to be done."

? Emotional abuse accompanies other forms of abuse, but also may occur on its own.

? No abuse - neglect, physical, sexual or financial - can occur without psychological consequences. Therefore all abuse contains elements of emotional abuse.

? Emotional abuse follows a pattern; it is repeated and sustained. If left unchecked, abuse does not get better over time. It only gets worse.

? Like other forms of violence in relationships, those who hold the least power and resources in society, for example, women and children, are most often emotionally abused.

? Emotional abuse can severely damage a person's sense of self-worth and perception.

? In children, emotional abuse can impair psychological development, including: intelligence, memory, recognition, perception, attention, imagination and moral development. Emotional abuse can also affect a child's social development and may result in an impaired ability to perceive, feel, understand and express emotions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What is Emotional Abuse?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 09:23:36 PM »
Hi Anon,

I don't know how anyone can deny these things happened. I also cannot understand the concept that some forms of mistreating people are OK if the result is somewhat helpful on the surface. I can think of numerous situations where someone is slowly conditioned to do well out of fear rather than taught morals and values and given the chance to do well on their own. Work ethic is a result of pride in quality work, not because of punishment because of a failure to complete perfection. Morals are doing the right thing because it makes a person feel good not doing the right thing so someone won't ring the bell and call a group. Eating right happens when a person takes the time to learn about nutrition and wants to take care of their body not a food plan that carries punishments attached. Donating time to the community happens when a person believes in a cause or the simple fact that you have to give back to society so that it won't be bankrupt of compassion. Respect is something given and recieved and is not something that should be forced or taken, it is also an important lesson to learn that someone gains respect from credible and honorable actions and vice versa.

Anyhooo.... that's my nightly nickle

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What is Emotional Abuse?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:45:54 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Hi Anon,

I don't know how anyone can deny these things happened. I also cannot understand the concept that some forms of mistreating people are OK if the result is somewhat helpful on the surface. I can think of numerous situations where someone is slowly conditioned to do well out of fear rather than taught morals and values and given the chance to do well on their own. Work ethic is a result of pride in quality work, not because of punishment because of a failure to complete perfection. Morals are doing the right thing because it makes a person feel good not doing the right thing so someone won't ring the bell and call a group. Eating right happens when a person takes the time to learn about nutrition and wants to take care of their body not a food plan that carries punishments attached. Donating time to the community happens when a person believes in a cause or the simple fact that you have to give back to society so that it won't be bankrupt of compassion. Respect is something given and recieved and is not something that should be forced or taken, it is also an important lesson to learn that someone gains respect from credible and honorable actions and vice versa.

Anyhooo.... that's my nightly nickle

Couldn't have said that better myself!  Brilliantly put!