Author Topic: May 29, 1982  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
May 29, 1982
« on: May 01, 2001, 09:02:25 AM »
May 29, 1982
It was 19 years ago today that I first laid eyes on that terrible, non-descript building with the ugly orange carpet in Saint Petersburg, florida.  It's ironic, I spent so many years trying to forget my 2 or more years spent in that place and I was pretty successful at forgetting most of it, however, no matter how hard I try each year this date, May 29th, sticks way out in my mind as the day I died.  

Kathy

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
May 29, 1982
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2001, 01:32:51 PM »
Re: May 29, 1982
Hi Kathy,

Geeee, we had that orange carpet in Cincinnati too until they built a new addition. I remember having to sit on that carpeting for hours being told how worthless and undeserving we were, that's one hell of a way to boost self-esteem let me tell you. It's not very nice having to look back at it. Seems most everybody here knows the exact date their lives were changed forever.

I was just thinking about some of the "host" homes I was in and how the parents there would just let their kids do anything they wanted to me or any of the other newcomers, that it was "enabling" to stand up to their own kids against abusing other us. I was guilty of it too, all one had to do to be guilty of it was just go over a newcomers "M.I.", or maybe drag them by the pants or not allow them privacy, it sucks now looking back at the row I played in it and I apologize to ALL that I had to be a "oldcomer" over, or the one "in charge" of you......yeah right. I just remember the constant fear of "f*****g up" and the staff being able to punish me at will.

I didn't want to be punished so I did what I had to do to get the hell out of there and keep my family, they ran me by FEAR all the time, instilling the idea that they could take my family away from me if I didn't cooperate with them fully, when in reality it was them that were causing the rift. They did that by making me think I was the bad guy, that the rest of my family was faultless, they delayed any true healing between me and my family for years afterward.

Kathy, I just had to get that out just to let people know what was on my mind, especially those that made money off me from executive staff, to the bastard Mel Sembler himself. Thanks again for letting me vent.

Take care all........Ken

Offline KimberlyNJ

• View Profile
May 29, 1982
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2001, 11:04:04 AM »
Kathy...when was the day you got out?

THAT, my dear, is the day you came alive again...or if you wanna consider the day you started this board, THAT is a wonderful day to consider the day you came alive...you came alive for 100's of people!  Think how many of us would NOT be here without you!  

I'm not minimizing your memory of that day...Lord knows, we probably ALL remember our days!, but think of NOW.

(Mine were Feb.28, 1988 until [cop-out-day] Aug.3 1990 [at precisely 7:30am])

You know3 how much we love you, Kathy.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
May 29, 1982
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2001, 11:33:53 PM »
Hey Kim, glad to see you back online!!!.... Oh yah, I'm alive today (however, forever changed, as we all are)!!!!  Um, You know for the past year I've been trying to remember when I "left", but I just can't pinpoint it.  I really don't know when it all ended.   But like you said, It did end for me, Thank God.  AND now it's time to end it for everyone else who is still trapped.  Let's go girl!  Look foward to seein' you again at the conference!  :-)

Kathy

Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline mithygato

• View Profile
    • http://mithygato@aol.com
May 29, 1982
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 03:25:00 AM »
To Kathy:

Yes, we do love you (and I don't mean that in Straight's sick idea of love).

Thank you for creating this forum.
I found it about 3 weeks ago, and have already found a few fellow survivors from my personal Hell on Earth.

Thank you again for creating this place where people who went through this can relate to one another.
My roomate (a psych major of all things) thinks it strange that I find comfort talking with others who went thru the same shit.  Only those who experienced that weirdness can understand.
I don't even try to explain . . .

thanks again Kathy - you kick ass!!!!!!!!! :nworthy:

Peace and best wishes,
David
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity-even under the most difficult cirumstances-to add deeper meaning to his life.  It may remain brave, dignified an

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
May 29, 1982
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 06:28:00 AM »
Geeee, we had that orange carpet in Cincinnati too until they built a new addition.

Hi Ken, nice to see you posting again.  I remember the carpet room like it was yesterday.  I spend a lot of time in the room as a client and later as a 7th Step Officer.  Looking back I don't remember that room being all that big but at some point well over 200 clients had to stuff themselves in the every Monday and Friday.  YUK!

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline gduncan

• View Profile
May 29, 1982
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 06:43:00 AM »
June 10, 1980 is burned in my memory- that's the day I walked into the Morgan Yacht building.  My parents said we were going to FL for a vacation and were going to the "realtor's office" to pick up the key for the condo.  After almost 23 years I still have nighthmares (not as often) about being stuck on first phase or standing helplessly in a sea of waving hands as someone is chosen to confront me.  

I confronted those demons '94.  I had a job that required me to go to FL and I went to the old building on Frontage Road which was vacant.  It was bought by a church for additional space and I was able to talk to someone in the small executive building and told them I was interested in walking through the building and why.  She was familiar with the program because she said a lot of people had stopped by wanting to do the same.

As I walked through I remembered many mornings sitting in the intake rooms crowded with other newcomers waiting to be seated.  I walked into the group area and could hear the songs we would sing.  I rememebered the exercise sessions- lying in a pool of sweat, dehydrated and wanting a drink.  If you were lucky you got a 3 second drink of water from the fountain.  So many images flashed through my mind- I could go on.  I spent about an hour walking around and I left at peace.  Doing that gave some closure.

[ This Message was edited by: gduncan on 2003-06-09 03:45 ]

Offline mithygato

• View Profile
    • http://mithygato@aol.com
May 29, 1982
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 04:16:00 PM »
Gduncan,

Thank you for that post.
It made me see our old building in my minds eye so clearly, my eyes started to water.
What you said about the songs and the 3 second water "gift" also contributed.

Next time I'm in Dallas, I'm going back to that fucking building and ask if I can walk through it - especially if I can do the exact same route when I first entered.
Going into the building itself seemed normal enough.
Being interviewed by some bonehead who is paid to tell you and your parents that you are a "druggie" (my mother still spouts that word 14 years later).
No suprise there.
An easy sell to most of the naive parents.
But then . . . they grab your beltloop and walk you into that disturbing room.
The one with 250 people thrashing their arms and jumping up and down in their chairs.
I started fighting those fuckheads right then.
They looked like they were insane, part of a cult.
It was the weirdest thing I had ever seen.
And then, I told these people to take me to jail before I hurt someone.
5 point restrain - hands over mouth.
This was my first day.
When I was in jail for having some weed, at least I could see my girlfriend, sleep when I want, not be deprived of food, shower however long I want, see my parents and talk with them on the phone (or anyone else for that matter), not be hit, spit on, made to talk about sex.
The list goes on and on . . .

Anyway, I am going to walk through that place again.
I think it would be good for all of us who suffered in those buildings to do the same.

David
M.I.A. 88/89
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity-even under the most difficult cirumstances-to add deeper meaning to his life.  It may remain brave, dignified an

Offline gduncan

• View Profile
May 29, 1982
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
David- Glad to know that my words had some impact.  When you go back and walk through the past stand with pride and think about who you are now and scream FUCK 'EM!  That's for the people who thought you were worthless and thought you wouldn't amount to anything in life.  And, it's for the mental and emotional hell you endured and conquered!  A lot of those "Straightlings" didn't think I'd amount to much and I bet those are the ones who are in desperate need of help.

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
May 29, 1982
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 07:03:00 PM »
This may sound strange to most of you all, but these very words are made possible by the technicians that work at the very building that housed all that suffering so many years ago.  I am a client/user of Verizon DSL and my letters and words course through the very building off of Gandy Boulevard in St. Petersburg Florida.  They house the nerve center of all the DSL subscribers in that area.  A mere 200 yards into the palmetto scrub-brush is where Kim Hyde lost her "straight virginity" to the clumsy attentions of one Jim Strickland, which set her on the course at her mother's insistance to go on to staff at the vatrious Straight branch-off programs.  While I pass by the building frequently, it is just as it appears to be now to me.  It is a facility that enables me to connect with the rest of you fine people.  Kinda trippy huh?
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
May 29, 1982
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2003, 10:17:00 PM »
I have always been a firm believer in reciprocity or "what comes around, goes around." It is nice to see a building where Mel Sembler et al. twisted so many peoples lives into shattered husks to be spued forth; incapable of functioning in society, turned into a clearing house for the electrons carrying Mel's destruction. Ahhh, the sweet irony of the situation makes my heart warm, while pleasingly tickling my snapse/dendrite connections. This gives me a warm feeling like a shot of fine bourbon nestled in the pit of my stomach, spreading warmth throughout my body and leaving a deliciously fruity aftertaste in my mouth. In short, I feel the need to wax poetic.

CL

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
May 29, 1982
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »
Bob, good to hear from ya.  
I was out riding my motorcycle a few weeks ago on a nice evening.  I found myself taking a route I normally avoid....Gandy bl in Pinellas Park.  I went past the building on Frontage twice before I stopped.  Quiet night, Verizon trucks locked up behind the fences.  Seeing the doors.  God those doors representated SO much at one time.  Now they just keep the equipment safe and cool.
I idled down to the front parking spaces.  Faintly you can still see markings for "executive staff" and painted over memories of what had once been here.
A tech type noticed me, but acted almost like the pilgrimage I was on was familiar to him....
This building is 20 minutes away from my house.  I pass it on the Interstate, hidden by just a mile countless times since 1982.
I am standing on ground I have not touched since the most painful ordeal of my life.
I am cold on an 85 degree Gulf coast night.  The Palmetto scrub that was freedom if ya had the balls to run was still there.  Quiet night, except for the souls crying in the pines and palms.
I light a kind smoke, and toast to my bretheren here on this board, and those who are not here yet,
then fire up my trusty cruiser and ride off to watch the moon rise as I blast across the Gandy bridge back to Tampa.  The Skyline is directly ahead, home.  That patch of scrub in Pinellas Park is now just a DSL switch now that I have touched it, talked to the ghosts, and made peace.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82