Author Topic: I want my records from GT!  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Ms.P

• View Profile
I want my records from GT!
« on: January 23, 2003, 10:57:00 AM »
I originally posted over in the Growing Together forum.. thought I may have better luck over here.

Has anyone tried to obtain their records from Straight (or, in my case, GT)?  Does anyone know how long they must legally (though I know that's a "relative" term) keep records on former patients?  It has been nearly 10 years since I was there, and I realize the chance is minute, but I'll do whatever I have to to get my hands on those documents.  Who knows, they may aid in some future psychiatric therapy...

Thanks,
Ms.P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 11:36:00 AM »
Unfortunately, it is my understanding that straight inc records have long since been destroyed. The only ones that are out there are ones that individuals and former staff members hoarded away when they left. There's no magic file cabinet somewhere with all our records. I tried getting mine, and this is what I heard... "NAH! straight, inc? what's that? I never heard of that place, hmmm, lets see, no I have no record that you were in that place. Apparently they left no traces."
Hmmm, I even asked Dr Riddile, the director, of Springfield camp and the Regional director of straight and the director of the straight foundation He summed up the answer into a simple "I have no idea".

I am sorry for the bad news. If you can find people willing to hand over what they have to copy or something, that may be as close as you get to "your" records. These straight inc programs were really good at hiding things, so records went right in the shredder most likely. Sad but true...     :smokin:   MG8

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 12:37:00 PM »
This is a little different. GT is still there, still operated by most of the same people (I think). So there's a chance they might just hand them over with reasonable proof of identity. Who knows. I know it's probably a spooky place to go. But the worst that can happen if you ask is that they say no, we don't have them or whatever.

No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the sources of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679737898/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>P. J. O'Rourke

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 03:02:00 PM »
My father used to pay me to go through his files and move offsite records that were over 3 years old and to destroy those old than, I can't remember if it was 5 or 7 years.

CL

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 05:58:00 PM »
I tried to get my records away from the straight program a number of years after I left. I was told that I could have copies, but no way could I hve the original copies.  I said, I want the originals, they said no, I said f**k you and left.

Offline Ms.P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 04:00:00 PM »
I can only solicit this info by mail so this letter is my only chance to get my hands on the info.  I quoted information which may not even directly pertain to GT... I just wanted to quote something- it seems like I don't really have any rights to anything. Please give me some constructive criticism. ...

Growing Together, Inc.
1000 Lake Avenue
Lake Worth, FL 33460

January 28, 2003

Re: Patient "____"; DOB ____; Records Between 1992-1994

Dear Sir/Madam:

I wish to receive all records you have retained in my name.  This request is made with respect to the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice?s "Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Manual" [Chapter 4: Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Documentation and Records Management] which states that these records must be released to me upon my request.  I wish to have copies of the entire Individual Healthcare Record, including the Mental Health/Substance Abuse Section.

I understand that a fee will be payable to cover the cost of making the copies and postage.  This fee will be paid upon receipt of your bill.  Please contact me at ______ if you require payment in advance.  Mail records and bill to:

_____
_____
_____

With Regards,

______