Author Topic: Amintus Muscarious mushroom(Fly-Agaric)  (Read 1630 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Amintus Muscarious mushroom(Fly-Agaric)
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:30:25 PM »
I think I may have come across one today while I was landscaping.  It is about 3 1/4" from the top of the cap to the bottom of the base.  The stem and underside of the cap are both yellow.  The cap itself is a dull, earthy red with some yellow "spots" where the thin layer of red(the toxic part of the cap) looks as though it has been eaten by a caterpillar or some flies or something.  I was thinkin' I might just go an' catch some flies and put the shroom and the flies together in a jar and see if the shroom kills the flies.  If the flies die then that would support my hypothesis that it is indeed the notorious Aminitus Muscarious or Fly-Agaric, which means "Fly-killer" or "Fly-Poison"

Can anyone hook me up with a cool mushroom identification link that could help me out here ??  Or are there any mushroom enthusiasts out there who care to comment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 08:06:28 PM »
Hey, this is fucked up. I know I answered this one.  These are photos I took in the fall of `01.

I'd be real suspicious of anything growing this early in the year. These ones crop up reliably in a 20 or 30 foot fairy ring, but not till around October. They like to be in loamy soil under connifers or oak and beech. The undersides are white. They have a ring where the bloom has seperated from the stem. Those dots are actually little bits of the bloom that sticks to the topside of the cap, so they look like wet, sort of beige colored rice paper.

I did the trick w/ the flies too. It worked. Here's what you do. Soak one or two big ones in milk for awhile, maybe 20 min, enough to penetrate the gills. Take them out onto a plate, leave them in a shady spot near some flies. They won't just die, they'l trip balls first. That's how you can tell. The stuff doesn't kill them by toxin. It just makes them too insesible to fly right or get water and food. That's the primary danger to humans, too, though too much by just a little can beat hell out of your kidneys and/or cns. It's a good idea to cleanse for awhile before and after, as even used properly, they are taxing on your system.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 11:20:27 PM »
Are these mushrooms considered psylocybes?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:30:27 AM »
Aminitus is not a psilocybe.  It does have potent psycho-active properties though and is reputed to enhance telepathy.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:38:38 AM »
Quote from: ""Eudora""
Hey, this is fucked up. I know I answered this one.  These are photos I took in the fall of `01.

I'd be real suspicious of anything growing this early in the year. These ones crop up reliably in a 20 or 30 foot fairy ring, but not till around October. They like to be in loamy soil under connifers or oak and beech. The undersides are white. They have a ring where the bloom has seperated from the stem. Those dots are actually little bits of the bloom that sticks to the topside of the cap, so they look like wet, sort of beige colored rice paper.

I did the trick w/ the flies too. It worked. Here's what you do. Soak one or two big ones in milk for awhile, maybe 20 min, enough to penetrate the gills. Take them out onto a plate, leave them in a shady spot near some flies. They won't just die, they'l trip balls first. That's how you can tell. The stuff doesn't kill them by toxin. It just makes them too insesible to fly right or get water and food. That's the primary danger to humans, too, though too much by just a little can beat hell out of your kidneys and/or cns. It's a good idea to cleanse for awhile before and after, as even used properly, they are taxing on your system.

Thanx Eudora.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 11:03:09 AM »
Hey Eu...

Are those Aminitus Muscarious in your pics Eudora ?? I saw a shroom growin' under an Oak yesterday that looked just like these ones!

Perhaps theses are Panthers  ???

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:47:45 PM »
Quote from: ""starry-eyed pirate""
Aminitus is not a psilocybe.  It does have potent psycho-active properties though and is reputed to enhance telepathy.

I had a feeling it did...  :o

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 07:31:39 PM »
Yup, those are the very self same Amanitas that went into my raimen noodles w/ celery and chicken year before last. Really good all the way round.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes