This rocks
3 (60%)
This sucks, go back to the old version
0 (0%)
Huh? What are you talking about, looks the same to me, gimme another beer
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closes: January 27, 2043, 12:23:22 PM

Author Topic: What do you think of the software upgrade?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline A.T.O.M.

• View Profile
    • http://waspswatter.awardspace.com/
What do you think of the software upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »
Quote from: ""Eudora""
I set the default theme to the new one I'm working on.

Don't know how familiar your are with phpBB, but changing the theme to anything other than default can be a hassle when installing MOD's and, by itself, phpBB lacks some popular features. It's the MOD's that provide a lot of the good functionality. BUT - you may want to consider upgrading to phpBB 3 before installing any MOD's, as it has more functionality built in:
http://www.phpbb.com/development/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 08:51:34 PM »
Quote from: ""TechJockey""
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Hey TJ,
Your welcome. And don't take my "bitchin" personally. I'll live with the changes because they appear to have been necessary, but 'so far' it does seem that the software is inferior to the old in several ways, particularly in terms of ease of discussion.
Another problem I discovered this morning. If you click a link in a message for an old Forntis post, like this one:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=40#60164
it takes you to the forum index.
This makes many of the old posts pretty useless, as people often linked to the answer to something, rather than repeat it.
Will that ever change, or is that feature gone forever?

Well, I know what you mean, when you say "inferior". But I think a more accurate term to use would be "immature". PhpBB2 was total rewrite, from the ground up. The old version had so many security weaknesses in it, rather than just fixing them, the developers decided to just start over from scratch. There was one issue a while back, where phpbb was actually used to spread a virus.

This is only version 2.0.21, so really, it's more like a version 1.0.21. There are a lot of imporovements and feature enhancements, but there are also still quite a few bugs. Also, Ginger had been hacking and modifying the old board for about 5 years, so she had cutomized a lot of things, and those modifications were totally lost.

But no, nothing is lost forever, it's just going to take some time, and hopefully, things will eventually be even better than before. I'd really love to get directly involved with some of the development of the software itself, because I can see lots of things that need work, and there are a lot of features that could be added. But, right now, we're really busy, mostly with the things going on behind the scenes, related to the underlying systems that make everything work. I was fortunate to have enough free time lately, that I've been able to do pretty much nothing else except this for the past month or so.

I am aware of the issue with the old links, and I do think that's something else that is fixable. The variable names in the query strings have changed, so any links from the old board will just return a 404, File Not Found error. I just set things up to redirect those back to the main index, for now.

Anyway, like I said, it will take some time, probably not just days or weeks. But things will definitely get better.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 08:53:57 PM »
ok thats weird when i typed in fornits at google it took me straight here- to one of these post reply boxes with some eles' reply allready written in it

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 11:02:55 AM »
Google isn't smart enough not to click the Post Reply button to get its results.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 10:39:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
ok thats weird when i typed in fornits at google it took me straight here- to one of these post reply boxes with some eles' reply allready written in it

yeh, i've had that happen a couple of times since the change.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700