Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about Pegasus/Camp Commance in Loc  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Does anyone know anything about Pegasus/Camp Commance in Loc
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »
I'm looking for anyone that knows anything about Pegasus / Camp Commance in Lockhart, Texas. My nephew is there and I haven't heard anything from him in a long while and he used to write all the time. I'm starting to worry because I hear so many horror stories about these kinds of facilities. If you know anything, good or bad, please let me know. Thanks so much.

Worried in TX
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
Ask to speak to him, and talk to his parents.

If they hide and evade, well, start digging and be a pain in their ass!  :silly:

Every man thinks God is on his side. The rich and powerful know he is.
--Jean Anouilh, French dramatist and playwright

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »
To Worried,

I am Robert Ellis, Founder and Executive Director of Pegasus. We are a Residential Treatment Center licensed by the Department of Family and Protective Services for the care of 175 boys ages 7-17. We have been providing care for abused neglected adolescents since 1990. We do maintain strict confidentiality due to our residents having been the victims of abuse from family members. However, if you have questions concerning a family member at Pegasus, please call Program Director Tim Brown or either of his assistants at 512-376-2101.

Please believe me, we provide excellent care for our residents and are the stellar examble of what a treatment facility should be. For further information on Pegasus, you may contact DFPS or consult Comptroller Strayhorn's office or her report on child care facilities released last year.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 11:58:00 PM »
dont worry as a former resident your nephew is fine he may just be busy with his therapy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 03:47:00 AM »
On 2005-09-02 16:12:00, Anonymous wrote:

"To Worried,

I am Robert Ellis, Founder and Executive Director of Pegasus. We are a Residential Treatment Center licensed by the Department of Family and Protective Services for the care of 175 boys ages 7-17. We have been providing care for abused neglected adolescents since 1990. We do maintain strict confidentiality due to our residents having been the victims of abuse from family members. However, if you have questions concerning a family member at Pegasus, please call Program Director Tim Brown or either of his assistants at 512-376-2101.

Please believe me, we provide excellent care for our residents and are the stellar examble of what a treatment facility should be. For further information on Pegasus, you may contact DFPS or consult Comptroller Strayhorn's office or her report on child care facilities released last year. "

So, if Worried just gives you a phone call you will put her through to her nephew, right?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »
School not coming to Sweetwater
Jan 05, 2006

By JoeMax Tomlin/Reporter Staff Writer

Pegasus Schools, Inc., an Austin area charter school that was planning to form a branch in Sweetwater, has cancelled the expansion project.

Pegasus School is a therapeutic wilderness camp that provides residential treatment services to at-risk youth. It houses up to 120 students and is licensed by the Texas Department of Protective and Regula-tory Services. Located in Lockhart, the school was planning to establish a Pegasus School branch located at Avenger Field in Sweetwater for area at-risk youth.

For the project, workers from around the area would be called upon to repair and remodel Avenger Village in order for the school to move in.

However, while the project was in the contractual stages and looking forward to becoming a realization (and placing advertisements for workers in the Reporter this week), the plans were abruptly and entirely cancelled by Pegasus.

Sweetwater Enterprise for Economic Development, which was working with the company to help bring the school to Sweetwater, was informed by Pegasus
officials Tuesday that the project is to be withdrawn.

"My understanding is that they had internal problems over the holidays that made them rethink their expansion project here," said SEED executive director Mike Hatley of Pegasus.

Homer Taylor of the Nolan County Foundation, who also worked to bring the school to our local area, said that major internal problems with the
operations of the Lockhart office must have occurred, but "we are unsure as to the exact reasons why Pegasus has decided to cancel the project."

Officials from Pegasus would not comment on this issue, other than to affirm the cancellation of the Sweetwater branch project.

P.O. Box 750 , Sweetwater , Texas 79556 Phone: 325-236-6677
Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/artic ... s/news.txt
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 01:01:00 AM »
Yes I would be very worried. It is a good looking place, but a lot of the staff are poorly trained. They also take out fustrations on the boys. Some are very good at thier job, but for the most part I found them bossy, and rude to the residents. I would not lisen to what the staff say unless you feel you can really trust them. I would very calmly ask to talk to him, and do not take no for an answer. I would also ask for an off campus visit because a lot of times the boys are not going to tell you the truth while a counsler is standing over them. It is always better to be safe than sorry. If nothing is wrong this should be a reasonable request.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »
Pegasus Schools, Inc (Texas RTC)
Inspection Reports

Mar 2005
*Staff did not supervise residents appropriately when a staff person pulled a resident by his neck in order to remove that resident from an altercation with another resident. During the same incident, staff did not supervise the residents appropriately when staff threw a desk in a threatening manner.
*When 1 of 2 staff persons left a group of 11 male residents to follow a resident who was eloping, this left the group out of ratio. This staff met the resident at the dining hall where they took a break. Another resident left the group and joined them soon after. The group of 10 residents and 1 staff was left out of ratio for about 30 minutes.
*A staff person's criminal history indicates behavior that endangers children. The facility was notified last year about this record. Facility reported to licensing that staff would be terminated. At this time, staff is still employed by the facility.
*Facility was notified that a staff person had a conviction under Title 5. Employee was to be terminated. At this time, almost a year later, the employee still works at the facility. According to regulations, a person convicted of a felony under Title 5, Offenses Against the Person, (745.651a) is precluded from being present at an operation.

May 2005
*Staff did not initiate a restraint in a way that minimized risk of physical harm or pain to the child when staff restrained a resident who was wearing a heavy backpack. Because of this inappropriate technique the resident's arm was broken. There was not another staff monitoring the restraint to ensure the safety and well-beinging of the resident.
*It was inappropriate when a staff person restrained a male resident that had left his group and was yelling angrily back at the dorm. The staff and other residents were not in imminent danger.
*Two teenage residents were left unsupervised. While unsupervised they engaged in sexual acting out behavior.

June 2005
When 1 of 3 staff persons left a group of 20 boys in order to tend to an emergency, this left the group out of ratio. While out of ratio, two of the residents engaged in sexually inappropriate behavior.

Dec 2005
*Two boys, with known sexual acting out behaviors, engaged in a sexual act while sitting together in the back seat of a van driven by a staff member. Management did not ensure adequate supervision for the boys while riding in the van. A discussion about lack of supervision in a van was discussed with the administrator earlier in the year when a similar incident occurred involving two other residents. During this discussion the licensing representative suggested that additional staff accompany the boys when riding in a vehicle because the driver could not drive a vehicle and provide adequate supervision for the residents.

Jan 2006
Staff failed to report the grievance made by a child on 1/13/2006, stating that he had been pushed in the neck by a staff member.

March 2006
Four boys participating in a sexual offenders program at Pegasus sexually acted out with each other on several occasions. Although, the Operation was within the staff-child ratio, staff was not adequately supervising the on-going activity between the boys. Therefore, allowing the boys ample time to engage in sexual activity.

April 2006
Any form of restraint or seclusion may only be administered by a caregiver qualified in behavior intervention. A staff member asked six boys to help with the restraint of another child. Upon learning about the incident management dismissed the staff member.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/ ... &pagenum=1
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700