Author Topic: Expected down time  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 11:46:12 PM »
Pretty cool.
Search function isn't working correctly, or doesn't work as before.
I typed in a term and the author name and was told no post match the query.
Also when I searched posts by a particular author the returns were not from author only.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 12:32:28 AM »
Hey, I'm easy. ::cheers::

I'm curious though.. How exactly does this format filter SPAM?
I noticed that anons can still start topics..

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Expected down time
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 10:11:52 AM »
The spam filtering software I wanted to use wouldn't run with the old db and other server software. So I had to upgrade everything.

Deb, I'll look into the search function.

Anything else, kids?
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 10:39:20 AM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Pretty cool.
Also when I searched posts by a particular author the returns were not from author only.

Can you give me an example of that? I do want to get in sometime pretty soon and add phrase searching. Since you use the search function so much, I'll be wanting your help and consult on that.

Offline TechJockey

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 01:58:45 PM »
Pretty cool.

If you select "Display results as: Topics" when making your search, it will return a listing of all matching threads that author has posted to. If you select "Display results as: Posts" it will show only the individual messages.

There also seems to be a little bug in the topic search. For instance, if you search for all topics by Eudora, containing the term "Straight", and you then go to page 53 of the results (using the link at the bottom of the search results page), you get a blank page. It thinks there's 53 pages of matching results, but really there's only 52. If you make your search selecting  "Display results as: Posts" instead, that doesn't appear to happen. This is probably an inconsistency in the database, but may be a bug in phpBB itlself. I'll look into it, and if I can determine it's a software bug, I'll file a report with the phpBB developers.

As far as the inaccurate results, I haven't been able to duplicate that, but if you can provide a specific example, I'll look into that too.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 02:02:57 PM »
I picked a simple one, just to see how the Search function worked.

Keyword: son
Author: Deborah

That should have returned hundreds of posts. Instead, I got:
No topics or posts met your search criteria

After reading more closely, it appears that one will not be able to search for a keyword by a specific author.
Is that accurate?
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 02:07:42 PM »
Okay, I think I "may" have figured out the problem.
I just conducted the same search son/Deborah and click posts at the bottom.
It returned only the message I just posted in this thread.
It appears that it is not searching the old database.
Is that possible?

Offline TechJockey

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 02:43:08 PM »
Okay, I think I "may" have figured out the problem.
I just conducted the same search son/Deborah and click posts at the bottom.
It returned only the message I just posted in this thread.
It appears that it is not searching the old database.
Is that possible?

Yeah. I was just looking at the code that converted the old database to the new format, and here's the deal:

This version contains a full-text indexing feature, to make the searches more efficent. During the upgrade conversion, wordlists were created by the upgrade script. This ultimately resulted in a list containing 174,031 unique words, and 7,707,538 occurances of those words. So, in order to keep the size of those tables down, the script automatically applied a formula to remove the the words that occur as more than a certain percentage of the list. In other words, the more common words from the old database simply arent in the list that the search feature uses to find the matching posts.

Probably more info than you needed, but it's actually working the way it was intended.  :D

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 03:16:01 PM »
TechJockey rocks the Shazzbah!  :nworthy: He'll be attending to tech issues for me from here on out. Please let me know how it goes. These puting gurus can be troublesome servants and terrible masters. Let's not let him get out of hand.

Offline TechJockey

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 03:54:05 PM »
Quote from: ""Eudora""
TechJockey rocks the Shazzbah!  :nworthy: He'll be attending to tech issues for me from here on out. Please let me know how it goes. These puting gurus can be troublesome servants and terrible masters. Let's not let him get out of hand.

I can easily be pacified with an endless supply of bananas. :wink:

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 07:36:14 PM »
Two new observations.
No post URL. Bummer. Looks like you can only link to the thread, not a specific post.
Also, I keep getting logged off as I move around.
If I am not logged in and just put my user name in the box when I reply to a post, it tells me that name is taken.

Offline TechJockey

• View Profile
Expected down time
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 08:22:31 PM »
Two new observations.
No post URL. Bummer. Looks like you can only link to the thread, not a specific post.

Yeah, that is a bummer. Not sure if that was an addon feature or not, but it shouldn't be that hard to implement, since the board does generate links to specific posts. It just doesn't put them on the page for you to copy.

Also, I keep getting logged off as I move around.
If I am not logged in and just put my user name in the box when I reply to a post, it tells me that name is taken.

I think your getting logged out because the session cookies were set to expire after one hour. I increased it to 2 hours. Not sure what's a good value for that. But, if you check the "Log me in automatically" box when you log in, you'll stay logged in for one day, with the current settings, assuming that's working right.

And the posting/login thing works a little different. You can actually use a username in a post without registering or being logged in, but only if that name isn't already taken. So, if you're a registered user, you have to log in using the link up top, before posting. I guess that could be a pain in the ass if you forget to log in, but that's the way they did it, for whatever reason.