Author Topic: i thought they closed all straights  (Read 4131 times)

Offline chadrbarnes

• View Profile
i thought they closed all straights
« on: August 02, 2001, 02:17:27 AM »
I went into straight for the first time when I was 14 I had already been in 3 others by that time I have seen and been through things in their that still give me nightmares at the age of 28 if their is any stories or ideas that I have that could be of help to close these places please let me know. I have had alot of friends that came in high but sain that left to kill them selves or go to prison for violent crimes and so forth I was in the richardson and Irving straights and when it closed i assumed that they all did please let me know if I can be any help

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline jetandra30

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2001, 02:31:54 AM »
Re: i thought they closed all straights

Hey Chad,

I think I remember you but I doubt you remember me.  I was also in the Richardson and Irving Straights (Dallas '88 and '89) and was transfered to the Los Angeles program in Yorba Linda. If I recall, you came in while I was in the Irving Straight and I was on about 3rd phase, however you were in the Richardson Straight before I was ever there.  

Do you remember the staff members from Seattle? (Ed Fr*r and Bob B***man) I saw them quite a bit after I graduated and I went to college with Bob for awhile up in Bellingham WA.  I haven't seen either of them in about 5 years.

I'd love to ask you about some of the people that were in the Straight at the same time we were.  I recently talked to Jennifer Pu*y on the phone.

I'd also love to know what the criminals who ran the place are up to, like Amy Cameron, etc.

Please feel free to email me or call me,

Offline chadrbarnes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2001, 01:51:05 PM »
hey john Im pretty shure i remember you i think i ran from you once as a matter of fact i dont know what happend to alot of people but i do know that the director cant remeber her name kinkade or something was arrested for imbeselment or something i remember ed real well i still keep up with alot of people that stayed in dallas most are in jail any how hope your doing well

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 12:53:31 AM »
Hi Chad,

Welcome.

Well, they did close the last Straight, Incorporated operating under that name in `93. But most of the rehabs just changed their names. Straight Foundation, the education, public policy branch of Straight, Inc., changed their name to Drug Free America Foundation. Betty Sembler, cofounder of the original hell hole (after The Seed) in St. Pete, is founder and still on the BOD. She's also president of DARE, International. (I thought I had just been imagining DARE was the Program light....)

Glad you found us. Tell all your friends and enemies.  

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://trebach.org/conference.html'>Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline jetandra30

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2001, 12:56:42 AM »
John

Offline jeff belflower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2001, 02:45:35 AM »
I was put into the straight program in St. Pete on Feb. 20 of 1981. I was kept there until I was 18 and that was a whole four years. I was mentally tortured and also physically abused. My parents were just mentally tomented. I can't beleive that after all of the hell I suffered more straight's started. I had no idea it spread to the midwest and west coast. When i was there they were starting atlanta, cinncinatti and virginia programs. I figured that was all they would do. They really have a way of coaxing the parents to beleive that they are doing good. They started me over a bunch of times. I got to the point that I just thought this would be the rest of my life. When I got out I had no money and had to move back home. My parents searched my room and will do anything to prevent me from being a druggie. I had to move back home when I was 23 and it was like being in straight again. I basically lost my teenage years in this place. I can't beleive these people got away with the crap they did.

Offline chadrbarnes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2001, 03:10:59 PM »
I am not sure how who ever wrote that article got my name  but i would appreciate it if they would get the facts straight if they are going to use it brad never did anything it was another and what happened hurt much more than a hit the the face i am more than happy to help my suggestion would be to go to skip hollingwort he did an article on me and uncovered alot of the insane things that were going on in there also the NY  times did a follow up article on me so there are documented incidents that these people saw and wrote about that can be found and used as necessary like i said like to help but there was enough going on that if your not sure then don't use it if you are going to put my name in it thank you

Chad

Offline jetandra30

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2001, 03:50:56 PM »
John

Offline Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2001, 01:56:49 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 01:13:36 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2001, 04:41:51 PM »
Re: Dallas Based Straights
I just emailed Wes about this thread. Here's what he's got in his page now.

"Texas: Straight-Dallas.

In 1987 the Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse (TCADA) forced Straight to stop strapping sanitary pads and towels on kids who were "acting out." In 1989, David Tatum, a TCADA administrator, says he started receiving complaints for allegations like: staff member choked and kicked a client, a host-home father tied up a client with an automobile towing strap; a client received a broken nose but was not given medical treatment. During an investigation ending in Oct 1989 he received 15 complaints including: 5 incidents of kids restrained for trivial reasons like 'failure to sit up properly' and 'failure to move.' One staff member allegedly tied a client with a nylon rope to prevent him from escaping; another did nothing while kids scratched themselves with pieces of metal. A parent reported that a staffer hit client Chad Barnes in the face. As a result of the investigation Straight fired one paraprofessional counselor and signed an agreement order in December 1989 that only trained staffers would be allowed to restrain clients, that time-out rooms would be banned, and that host homes would be required to provide better living arrangements. In return Straight would not have to admit to any of the allegations of abuse. But in January a reporter witnessed a client being restrained. There were 2 adults and 3 kids watching 100 clients. In August 1991 TCADA informed Straight that its license would not be renewed for consistently violating the law and for failure to abide by the 1989 agreement order. Among the citations cited in the order were the unsupervised dispensing of medications, treating clients who did not meet Straight's criteria of being chemically dependent, forcing clients to sleep in beds with other clients, failing to provide medical care to injured clients, and restraining clients with nylon rope. One finding was for a foster home which gave the kids only a container to urinate in the evening. Straight announced that it was closing for economic reasons."

Here's the url http://fornits.com/straight/why-success/behind_the_tallahassee_curtain.htm'>Behind the Tallahassee Curtain:

Infiltration, Intimidation and Suing of State Health Offices

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://trebach.org/conference.html'>Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2002, 08:40:00 AM »
It's just unreal what has happened inside that facility.
I was there in 1990 (as you may have read from many of my posts) I was in the Plymouth MI Straight, and a few things that you said about "phasers" doing things rekindled an inncident in my brain.
One time I ended up going to one of the host homes in Lansing.. about a 3 hour drive.. it was a boys host home, but they said that the girls host homes weren't enough for all of us, so they had to put us in a few boys host homes.
The room we slept in had a cooking pot on the floor and I asked why that was there, my oldcomer told me that was because there was no bathroom on that upper floor for the boys to use in the middle of the night. It was discusting.
At the time I saw it I thought nothing of it, they brainwashed us so much I became to think like they did for a while.. but now that I look back thinking, it was very discusting and totally unsanitary, cruel and unusual punishment to say the least.
usan Minns