Author Topic: Web postings worry summer camp directors  (Read 712 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Web postings worry summer camp directors
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »
http://news.com.com/Web+postings+worry+ ... 87060.html

I have no idea about any of the camps mentioned.  They may really be just regular summer camps for all I know but this caught my attention....

"There were some things that we found that some of the kids posted that were really kind of nasty, saying bad things about counselors," said Mark Stoltz, an Island Lake director. "Most of the sites were not negative," Stoltz said, and "most of the kids who had stuff up there were nice kids," but all references had to go.

One innocuous site belonged to Xander Green, 15, of Manhattan, a longtime Island Lake camper who formed a MySpace group for about 30 campers active in Island Lake theater. When a camp newsletter said campers should delete Island Lake references and use its official message board for all camp chatter, Xander called the camp and was told to remove his group.

"Everyone was kind of really mad about it, and some people didn't understand," Xander said. "It was a drag because the group was a way for everybody to communicate in our own way without being on their monitored message board."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
Web postings worry summer camp directors
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 04:38:00 AM »
Free speech only applies in America if you are a grown up obviously.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.