Author Topic: Research says: Cannibas is as bad as Heroin!  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Research says: Cannibas is as bad as Heroin!
« on: June 26, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
Cannabis as bad as heroin, warns UN drugs watchdog
GERRI PEEV POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

THE drugs watchdog of the United Nations has rebuked the UK government's policy change on cannabis, saying it sent a confusing message to young people.

UN experts also warned that a major increase in the potency of cannabis means it now poses health risks similar to those of heroin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
Weed so good it hits like heroin?

Where can I get some?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
Fuck the UN.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 11:55:00 PM »
The decision to reclassify cannabis as a Class C drug - made by the Home Secretary in 2004 - was implicitly criticised by Antonio Maria Costa, the executive director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, who warned of the growth in its use.

Cannabis had become more potent in the past few decades and governments that maintained inadequate policies got the "drug problem they deserve", Mr Costa said in the 2006 World Drug Report.

"Policy reversals leave young people confused as to just how dangerous cannabis is," he added. "

The cannabis pandemic, like other challenges to public health, requires consensus, a consistent commitment across the political spectrum and by society at large."

He warned governments against playing party politics with the classification of cannabis as its harmful effects were "no longer that different" to the damage caused by cocaine and heroin.

His remarks were made on UN Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.

But the Home Office stood by its decision to maintain cannabis as Class C.

A spokesman said: "Cannabis is controlled as a Class C drug. It is harmful and illegal and no-one should take it. In January 2006 the Home Secretary accepted the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs recommendation that cannabis remain a Class C drug. This decision to retain its classification is supported by the police and by most drug and mental health charities."

The Home Office said that consumption of cannabis had fallen from more than 28 per cent to 24 per cent in 16-24 year olds.

Scotland has one of the worst drug problems in Europe, with an estimated 50,000 addicts. At least half a million Scots are believed to have smoked cannabis and 200,000 are believed to have taken cocaine.

Last week, Tom Wood, Scotland's drug tsar, sparked controversy by suggesting the nation had "lost the war on drugs".

The European Commission has admitted that drug abuse in the bloc and the deaths it causes have reached "unprecedented" levels and that in any given month, 1.5 million Europeans take cocaine and 12 million use cannabis.

Since David Blunkett, the former home secretary, downgraded cannabis to a class C, ministers have proposed much lower limits for possession of the drug before an individual is prosecuted as a dealer. In contrast, the Dutch parliament is considering allowing the controlled cultivation of cannabis while Italy has also taken a softer stance.

The European Commission is asking for input into its drugs policy review from July to September.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »
These United Nations "experts" are completely, & unequivocally full of horse shit...just more propaganda from the usual suspects...

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 06:44:00 AM »
Yeah they're the LAST people I'd want advice from about anything let alone what drugs I should and shouldn't use..  :roll:  :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »
You've all gone WAY south of sanity i'm afraid.

Just because a drug's use is present in conjunction with social difficulties doesn't necessarily make the drug a cause, but perhaps a symptom? People use many different things in drug-like manners. Are we to outlaw coca-cola because its a good chaser? And what about alcohol? Is it all too necessary to diminish marijuana to a heroin-like substance (which it is NOT - cigarettes are more addicting, and deadly). Fact is marijuana has a lot of decent uses, one of which is recreational and like all users, extremes exist. There are moderates and there are extremes of every drug, or church. Should we close down the catholic church because priests molest children? Or fundimentalists bomb clinics? Surely the church prompted these beliefs!
No. I'm sorry, marijuana is not the cause OR the catalyst. But, i admit, i do know people who abuse the substance and in time, they will learn, or they wont - its really their CHOICE, no? I also know plenty of well off, good citizens who relax with a joint and some Merlot on their fridays, or mondays:). The philosophy behind the usage of drugs really needs clairification, but thats a whole other beast. What we SHOULD be monitoring is childrens useage of this drug and trying to teach them more creative means of entertainment. I can tell you that resisting drug use in my culture is very difficult because of the simple fact that my culture has very limited extra-curricular activities for minors. Homework, authority, college, debt. Hell bush is throwin' back shots in terror of getting up in the morning! And you know what, he learned about it from his circumstance. Its a dam shame. So, dont blacklist this drug and try to pull it out from peoples lives, they'll just replace it with something that's taxable and corporate. Which is exactly what the government, the alcohol and cigarette companies would prefer.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »
You've all gone WAY south of sanity i'm afraid.

For a second there I was getting ready to tell you to fuck off... But yeah, I agree with you..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »
As the mother of a 30-year-old heroin addict who started out with marijuana, I am a firm believer that it does start there. I was told by my son that "mom, they did not have drugs when you were growing up like they have today." HA. I grew up in the 60s and they did not have drugs then!!! But I do believe what he really meant was that they are different in potency today than they were before. Todays youth, in my opinion, do not stand a chance once they start. Just my thoughts. From a broken hearted mother.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »
I understand how you must feel...but please remember -- just b/c he started out with it doesn't necessarily mean that MJ was definitely the cause of his subsequent addiction to heroin. There are plenty of people out there who smoke or have smoked (like myself) that have never shot up and never will. The "gateway drug" theory just doesn't hold water...

Offline StellerJay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
Everyone has their vices--and I would rather be around someone who is high on weed then boozed, ripped on coke or heroin. But i would also rather be around someone who is high on weed then high on religion or politics. I wish people wouldnt tell us what we can or can not have in our body. This is harse but I feel its true: if you do a shit-ton of drugs and die from it then to god damn bad for you; natural selection at its finest. Whats the difference between those who base jump and die? its a high that people need to fulfill--and some make bad decisions.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
By the same token suicide should be 100% legal no matter what the reason! If someone wants to kill themselves they should be able to carry it out in a hassle-free environment. Let them die if they want to, for fuck's sake!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
I know everytime I don't smoke for a week I stop eating and might have to rob a liquor store in order to hook up my next fix. It's not all candy and laughter.

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
I know everytime I don't smoke for a week I stop eating and might have to rob a liquor store in order to hook up my next fix. It's not all candy and laughter.

See? This is a perfect example of what I've been trying to tell you thick-headed druggies all along!
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm gobsmacked at the collective deceipt carried out by whomever is responsible for this propaganda. This is mindless and irresponsible junk science.

Listen you imbeciles, you don't know what a drug problem is until you've seen the devastation that methamphetamine causes. And to imply that pot is equally as dangerous as heroin?...c'mon...give me a break.

The problem with pot is the government can't make any money controlling it because it is so easily cultivated. In the U.S., all "illegal" drugs are cash cows for law enforcement. You can't imagine the insane level of organized crime associated with the war on drugs that in reality is a front for local, state and federal law enforcement. And the world at large wonders why police, judges and politicians are loathed to the extent they are in this country. Hey..you haven't seen anything yet. The level of unadulterated hatred for our government currently registers off-scale precisely for this type of balderdash. Every time such a report is distorted and spun to imply that it is looking out for our best interests only adds to the mountainous mound of feces contained therein.

Marijuana as a gateway drug? Please!!! Consider this...I have several friends that are prison guards and wardens. To a man, they say that there has never been ANY psychotic episode such as a prison riot or murder caused by an inmate that was addicted (?) to marijuana. To the contrary, the substance that ALWAYS leads to major inmate control problems is...you guessed it...alcohol!!! Inmates can make bootleg liquor by fermenting bread and various canned fruit into a seriously potent concoction.

Alcohol...not marijuana...is the REAL gateway drug you idiots!!! And, guess what? Its legal. And very, very profitable.I'm gob smacked at the collective deceit carried out by whomever is responsible for this propaganda. This is mindless and irresponsible junk science.

Listen you mentally defective imbeciles, you don't know what a drug problem is until you've seen the devastation that methamphetamine causes. And to imply that pot is equally as dangerous as heroin?...c'mon...give me a break.

The problem with pot is the government can't make any money controlling it because it is so easily cultivated. In the U.S., all "illegal" drugs are cash cows for law enforcement. You can't imagine the insane level of organized crime associated with the war on drugs that in reality is a front for local, state and federal law enforcement. And the world at large wonders why police, judges and politicians are loathed to the extent they are in this country. Hey.you haven't seen anything yet. The level of unadulterated hatred for our government currently registers off-scale precisely for this type of balderdash. Every time such a report is distorted and spun to imply that it is looking out for our best interests only adds to the mountainous mound of feces contained therein.

Marijuana as a gateway drug? Please!!