Author Topic: Death at Tranquility Bay (Teen Help), Jamaica  (Read 8515 times)

Offline ROFLatYEW9375

• View Profile
Death at Tranquility Bay (Teen Help), Jamaica
« on: August 01, 2001, 08:10:33 PM »
RLFLatYEW9375 = Antigenic
Sorry, seems someone's been sitting in MY chair..... And There She Is! ;-)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Elle

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2001, 10:20:10 PM »
Gawd
Close, it's Alberta Adolescent Recovery Center. But they call themselves the "AARC Angels". *vomit*

Elle.

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2001, 01:57:38 AM »
?
How will we know if laws banning these programs won't work if we don't try? Laws are certainly not the only solution or the best solution, but it was stupid laws like the age of majority system and institutionalized childhood that got our society into this mess, so perhaps some well thought out legislation can get us out.

Educational intitiatives will certainly be needed as well, teens need to know their rights, and parents and teens need to be aware of the dangerous scams and cults claiming to be adolescent mental health services. We need to keep track of the bad programs and try to shut them down, and we need to work with the good programs to make sure they stay that way.

In regards to enforcing existing laws, we should try to get the penalties raised for institutional abuse, and the statute of limitations extended.  

Slavish discipline makes a slavish temper... If severity carry'd to the
highest pitch does prevail, and works a cure upon the present unruly
distemper, it often brings in the room of it a worse and more dangerous
disease, by breaking the mind; and then, in the place of a disorderly young
fellow, you have a low spirited moap'd creature, who, however with his
unnatural sobriety he may please silly people, who commend tame unactive
children, because they make no noise, nor give them any trouble; yet at
last, will probably prove as uncomfortable a thing to his friends, as he
will be all his life an useless thing to himself and others... Beating them,
and all other sorts of slavish and corporal punishments, are not the
discipline fit to be used in the education of those we would have wise,
good, and ingenuous men...
John Locke, 1692

All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2001, 04:36:26 AM »
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2001, 12:10:01 PM »
Re: Death at Tranquility Bay (Teen Help), Jamaica
Thank you for bringing this to our attention......Great job!!

Ken >http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif' alt=':)'>

Offline BostonBrave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2001, 12:16:52 PM »
Death at Tranquility Bay
  The snatching of this girl from her home repeats the way Straight got its clients. It is a horrible tale, rendered all the more horrible by the assertion of Mr.Kay that he was"certain" that her death was not a suicide,and that the girl was merely trying to manipulate her parents into getting them to withdraw her from the program. An intentional jump from a thirty-five foot balcony looks like suicide to me,but I don't possess the omniscience of Mr. Kay.

How on Earth were these people able to take this girl,presumably an American, out of the country against her will? How could the authorities in Jamaica allow such a progam to exist in their nation? We must get to the bottom of this story.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2001, 05:56:25 PM »
Re: Death at Tranquility Bay
Couldn't possibly have been a justifiable attempt to escape a dangerous situation. Of course not! She was a teenager, you see. Teenagers are horrible, deceitful, manipulative, dangerous creatures. No one but Fr. Cahsin, Mr. Kay and the sadistic folks down at Growing Together and SAFE, Orlando can brave the dark and twistec chasms of their terrible, dangerous minds! How DARE anyone accuse these good, rightous and well intended adults of any kind of unjust treatment of these terrible dangerous creatures!

It scares the SHIT out of me that this can happen... right in the headlines... in front of God and everyone and the beat goes on.  

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://trebach.org/conference.html'>Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline sullyceltic

• View Profile
    • http://www.nba.com/celtics
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2001, 07:51:10 PM »
i'm curious as to how you hear about this, facekhan.

i work in a pretty news-heavy environment in my line

of work and heard nothing of it. i even brought it up

to some of my co-workers and they seemed unphased

by it. perhaps todays shooting rampage in california is

"better" news. (remind me to get another job NOT IN THE

NEWS BUSINESS) what a sick industry this is....

but thanks for posting that!!! i was horrified to see all of

these cookie-cutter websites for all of these places that

are "out of the US". showing kids playing basketball, and

sitting in rooms together, laughing. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

these are all run by power-hungry maniacs who profit from the torture of teenagers who probably smoked pot two or three times.

i have a hard time believing in God these days, but i know that i will be praying for the soul of Valerie Ann Heron tonight.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2001, 09:29:52 PM »
That came from the Rocky Mountain News out of Boulder, CO. If you load the url, you'll note that Columbine takes up a topic heading right under the weather in their permanent menu to the left.

Sometimes it seems like we're ALL in the program and almost noone has noticed.

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://trebach.org/conference.html'>Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse

Offline jetandra30

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2001, 03:10:59 PM »
That article was disturbing for a number of reasons.  I can't believe the staff would be so cold to this tragic incident and still accuse the dead 17-year old girl as being "manipulative" and doing it "for attention"  Valeriedied died pursuing one of the most worthy endeavors I know of: freedom.

Teen Help and Tranquillity Bay are criminal.  I wish these stories would stir more public outrage. What was Valerie's crime?  

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2001, 03:52:54 PM »
Well I generally check the various Treatment Abuse message boards for new posts, daily and this was on the We've been there board and on Intrepid Net Reporter.

Tranquility Bay and the rest of the Teen Help Archipelago (As in Gulag Archipelago)  are probably the worst of the worst in treatment abuse today. Absolutely cult-like, lawyers hired by parents to keep their kids there, are often secretly retained by Teen Help as well. Apparently they do not seem to care that this represents a blatant conflict of interest and I know of one case where a lawyer, mother and Teen Help were sued by the Father of a boy who was sent with only his mother's consent and then a lawyer secretly retained by Teen Help, advised her to sue for custody to keep him there.

If it was a suicide, they drove her to it, if it was an escape attempt it was justified. I don't think anyone with even the last bit of reason left in them would presume that they would survive the fall though. I think it was a suicide, I think that girl got one look at that place and decided it was freedom or death. The State Dept rescued kids from a facility in Samoa, perhaps we can encourage them to do the same thing there.

3 things that will stop this once and for all:

1. Give minors the same rights as adults in resisting involuntary committment/placement

2. Integrate already ratified treaties on torture into our laws and ratify children's rights treaties.

3. Ammend Federal Law so that ANY American citizen abroad may request assistance in repatriation regardless of age, and State Dept. must provide such assistance. And that American Citizens must be able to freely contact the State dept to request repatriation assistance. Pass or Enforce existing laws that require that when children spend time abroad without their parents, relatives or legal guardians, that they notify the State Dept.  

Slavish discipline makes a slavish temper... If severity carry'd to the
highest pitch does prevail, and works a cure upon the present unruly
distemper, it often brings in the room of it a worse and more dangerous
disease, by breaking the mind; and then, in the place of a disorderly young
fellow, you have a low spirited moap'd creature, who, however with his
unnatural sobriety he may please silly people, who commend tame unactive
children, because they make no noise, nor give them any trouble; yet at
last, will probably prove as uncomfortable a thing to his friends, as he
will be all his life an useless thing to himself and others... Beating them,
and all other sorts of slavish and corporal punishments, are not the
discipline fit to be used in the education of those we would have wise,
good, and ingenuous men...
John Locke, 1692

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2001, 11:54:04 AM »
Re: Death at Tranquility Bay (Teen Help), Jamaica / my reply

Dear Mr. Kilzer,

My God, here we go again. I have to ask myself when reading your report the question of when will all the madness stop, yet it just continues and is going nowhere soon. Mr. Kilzer, did you ever wonder to yourself when preparing your story why all these compounds have to base themselves outside the U.S.?? I mean don't we have quite a bit of real estate available right here already without them having to build camps overseas?? Could it be that these places are trying to hide something like the way they treat these kids, could it be possible that cruel and unproven brainwashing methods might be placed on these kids to get them to "change" their behavior isolated from a family setting? Do you have any idea what being forced away from your family for years against your will does to somebody especially when you have not committed any crimes? I do, some 18 to 20 years later I still have nightmares from being in Straight Inc., because all those same things happened to me in there.

I was illegally held against my will all that time, I was brainwashed, tortured mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically right along side of other kids in there who were abused too. Thousands of kids went through Straight Inc. and Straight Inc. almost got away with it, and of course they would by obviously being endorsed at the time by the Bushes, The Reagan's, Princess Di, but time caught up with them, and they had to close down due to mounting lawsuits of abuse. Now keep in mind that back then some twenty years ago, all the Straight Inc. locations were on U.S. soil. When Straight Inc. closed down, the cities with Straight Inc. locations, re-opened under different names by the same people who operated them so they would be "protected" against the lawsuits. Somewhere in these 20 years, a certain group of people (studying these "therapeutic communities", saw a money making opportunity in this sick ($$but profitable$$) method of torturing kids. Learning from the "mistakes" of Straight Inc., they thought it would be a good idea to open up these places in places outside the U.S. therefore not subject to American law, hence, now you have Tranquility Bay...and an ever-expanding industry of offshore Mind Rape Mills

The death of that poor girl sad as it is, doesn't surprise me at all. It was just a matter of time before something like this again was going to happen. When people are put into a situation like that, anybody's natural instinct would be to get away from their tormenters. It burns me up that some of the quotes in your article blame Valerie for her natural, God-given fear instinct, quotes like, "She may have been thinking, 'Well maybe I'll injure myself, hurt myself, and that way I can manipulate and get home,' " or, "My gut feeling is she was either doing it for attention or to escape," hell, Straight Inc. used those same phrases on us all those years ago when somebody would try to escape, apparently, somebody at Tranquility Bay was taking notes on Straight Inc. on what to say if contacted by a reporter, how to lie and make it the kid's fault. Of course, her parents can't sue the perpetrators for using methods of harsh conditions that killed their daughter at Tranquility Bay like under American law can they?

You also write the following, "Valerie's parents are divorced. A lawyer representing her family declined to comment.", could I please have the name of that attorney, I would at least like him to have access to our websites, may this will help him out.

We have listed Tranquility Bay as one of the compounds, or Mind Rape Mills that abuses children for a while now. http://fornits.com/anonanon/.'>fornits.com/anonanon/. Just scroll down 7/8's of the way, and look under the heading

"outfits using similar treatment modalities", and you will see Paradise Cove and Tranquility Bay listed right there....

Thank you again for writing that informative piece of journalism. Please visit our site and this this ever-growing story the light it deserves.

Thank you sincerely,

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2001, 06:45:10 PM »
Jason, I have to disagree with you. Read up on the history of these programs and regulation. All of these abuses were already illegal centuries ago.

Think about how the altruistic regulators responded to the recent suicide at Alldredge. Did they hold accountable the adult who handed this kid a rope and a knife in response to a suicide attempt? Hell no, that idiot is still walking around torturing kids. Instead, they turned the regulators on them; demanding that properly certified and licensed sadists be employed by the program.

"Laws are like spider webs. If some poor weak creature comes up against them - it is caught. But the bigger one can break through and get away."

-- Solon; Greek philosopher - c.630-c.555 BC

The only solution to this particular problem is for people to come out from under the ether and realize that, yes, it's true, horrific as it may seem, some people who like to abuse others dress up in the costume of altruism.

"If you can't trust a cop, it only shows you've been paying attention." -- Crazy Mac

Offline sullyceltic

• View Profile
    • http://www.nba.com/celtics
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2001, 06:45:34 PM »
i am still just really bothered by this story.

it hits here hard because i know that it could have

been any of us.

i can think back to the group that i was in and all

of the kids that were suicidal. there were lots of them.

several from the group over the nearly two years

i was there went on to kill themselves after getting

out of the grasps of the "re"-program.

i have been thinking a lot about valerie ann.

this story/situation is just wrong from every angle.

i hate it i hate it i hate it!

i appreciate facekhan posting that. i have since obtained
the phone number of the families attorney and the

number of that former police officer who was involved

in the "4 a.m. abduction". the news outlet that i work for

is no CNN, but i'm going to see if i can bring this to

the people that get their news from us.

Offline Elle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2001, 11:31:12 PM »
Crossing Boarders
My parents were able to kidnap me and take me over a boarder. Turns out it's quite easy! Seems to me unless you're Drew Barrymore or Brittney Spears, you are unimportant when under 21. Rights? What are those? Go to your room.

Elle.