Author Topic: Who wins the prize as the most Cult like program?  (Read 18248 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Who wins the prize as the most Cult like program?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
On 2006-06-28 17:33:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Holy shit.. Go read this crap MA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synanon

Now that is some serious culty shit.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much
liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

--Thomas Jefferson, 1791, in a letter to Archibald Stuart

"

CEDU = Charles E. Dederich University

How 'bout them culty apples?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
Another quick synopsis of Synanon's violence:
http://www.ptreyeslight.com/columns/spa ... 26_03.html

A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say at the age of eighteen.
--Oscar Wilde

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 05:17:53 AM »
Quote from: ""Dysfunction Junction""

On 2006-06-28 17:33:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Holy shit.. Go read this crap MA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synanon

Now that is some serious culty shit.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much

liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

--Thomas Jefferson, 1791, in a letter to Archibald Stuart

"

CEDU = Charles E. Dederich University

How 'bout them culty apples?

Are culty apples in season? Oooo.  :o

Far be it for me to bump an ancient thread, but I haven't skulked around here for a while.

As an RMA/CEDU alum, I wish I could weigh in on this with more specifics, but unfortunately, I don't have blownawaytheidahoway's remarkable elephantine memory when it comes to the workshops and propheets. (And he was there when I was. I have no idea how he manages to retain all of that information.) All I know is that they were surreal and crazy. The most absurd for me was the towel-biting exercise in the I & Me, and the lifeboat exercise in the Summit. Taking into consideration that CEDU's "theraputic" practices were fueled by not one, but two cults (Synanon, and later Lifespring, for the Summit workshop), I would have to say that it places CEDU pretty high on the list in the mindfuckery department.

I've read a lot about people's experiences from other institutions, such as straight, wwasps, boot camps, and they have shocked me. It made me feel like I was kind of lucky in that I didn't have to do things like piss and shit in front of staff, or get restrained (except for in the I Want To Live propheet) or beaten. We had wilderness expeditions, and ski trips, and presents for Christmas, and we got to see our parents periodically. However, Ginger mentioned to me once that the more she hears about CEDU, the more it freaks her out, and this is coming from someone who was in Straight. It surprised me to hear that from her, and kind of made me realize that I may be too quick to belittle my own past experiences.

But anyway, yeah, RMA was nutty. You definitely came out of there brainwashed. Blownaway and I were there during the "no tolerance" era, with super strict rules and lots of thought police. I was so paranoid and wanted to be so perfect I would cop to just about any negative thought I had, in fear that if I didn't, the staff would find out sooner or later. There were a lot of other kids who were much more resilient than me in this regard, and others who were worse. I witnessed an extremely smart, sweet guy in my peer group practically decompensate in the summit. I mean, he just totally lost it. He was crying and screaming in frustration, during a part of the workshop when that wasn't "on the script", as it were. We were all sitting around going on with the exercise, trying to ignore him, and he was literally having a nervous breakdown, because he had just had it. I remember being horrified. I don't even remember how he managed to pull himself back from the brink and go on with the workshop, but he deserves some sort of mental fortitude award for it, to be sure.

Here's what I wrestle with: There are people from my era who post sometimes in the forums, and they say that CEDU/RMA was the best thing that ever happened to them. I say "Great! Good for you. Glad you aren't fucked up about it." But I don't understand it. I can't contextualize it. How can such a dogmatic environment produce such polarized opinions? I really don't hear anyone from straight or wwasps saying that they loved the place, (but I could be wrong) only CEDU/RMA. I'm not one of those guys who is going to say "fuck you, man, you're still brainwashed." Because I just don't think it's true. I do believe that everyone handles experiences their own way, but when I hear people say "That was a great school, I loved it." I wonder "God damn. Am I just crazy? Did I miss something?" There's always that element of doubt for me.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 05:30:26 AM »
If he was there in 1990, he got there about a year after I graduated.

I don't really talk about my experiences much, either. I've written about them on the forum, because there is that element of safety through anonymity, but I don't go into a whole lot of detail with friends or loved ones. And I certainly am never going to tell my parents what I went through. I don't think they would ever forgive themselves.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 06:06:05 AM »
I know, it's like a fucking virus, or the pod people, or something. People get infected, then they go and infect others.

I'm sure there's a video game in there, somewhere.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 11:06:06 AM »
bad sex doesn't make you wake up crying in your sleep years later...

Speak for yourself. I was raped by clowns, so sometimes I wake up crying, and sometimes I wake up laughing.

I think the whole TBS acronym started while I was away, what do the letters stand for? Tit and Ball Slamming?

As for now, I think I'm still going to stick with the invasion of the body snatchers parallel. But asshole and poo jokes are always good. I'm all about the poo jokes.

Watch out for clowns.

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
"I love CEDU"
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »
Welcome back Castle. Good to see your rotating facial features.
CEDU IS  a cult.
that you didn't know it stood for Charles E. Deitrich University is revealing the same way I finally discovered that when I DID finally run away from that hellhole, I should not have tried to go home. Three thousand miles? I should not have tried to get to Spokane. What I should have done is go to the first attorney office that I could waltz into...wouldn't he have been disbarred for not looking into a runaway's complaints? Ah hindsight.
I wish I had figured that out at 14 and not at REDACTED. If only I hadn't been so sure I could trust the police or my own parents.

Castle your post somewhere earlier today made me wince about not even telling your parents anything because it may break their heart- I'm having a dilemma in my writing as per needing to include them, to inform them, and to blame them. It's crisis causing, gut- wrenching, and ulcer squeezing to continue to not be sure if this experience should be told truthfully. Shouldn't it though? I am such a dog for making them re-live these years again. How did you get strong again? These holidays, and these pages I'm working on are making me come unglued. My folks and I will  never see things peaceful as long as this is still in my present. I know that, and yet, I'm still here. There.

But not to deviate from your intresting quest to find out the most culti of the crew. CEDU should be considered for the Most honorable mention after Synanon. I think of them like the Sutherlands. You might be familiar with Donald from so many roles. But we all know who Jack Baur is. CEDU.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
whom
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
He did tell me the story about being at the program around the same time as Rosanne Barr's daughter. Not sure what that was all about.

Brandi, Jennifer or Jessica ?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: "I love CEDU"
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »
Quote from: ""blownawaytheidahoway""
Welcome back Castle. Good to see your rotating facial features.
CEDU IS  a cult.
that you didn't know it stood for Charles E. Deitrich University is revealing the same way I finally discovered that when I DID finally run away from that hellhole, I should not have tried to go home. Three thousand miles? I should not have tried to get to Spokane. What I should have done is go to the first attorney office that I could waltz into...wouldn't he have been disbarred for not looking into a runaway's complaints? Ah hindsight.
I wish I had figured that out at 14 and not at REDACTED. If only I hadn't been so sure I could trust the police or my own parents.

Castle your post somewhere earlier today made me wince about not even telling your parents anything because it may break their heart- I'm having a dilemma in my writing as per needing to include them, to inform them, and to blame them. It's crisis causing, gut- wrenching, and ulcer squeezing to continue to not be sure if this experience should be told truthfully. Shouldn't it though? I am such a dog for making them re-live these years again. How did you get strong again? These holidays, and these pages I'm working on are making me come unglued. My folks and I will  never see things peaceful as long as this is still in my present. I know that, and yet, I'm still here. There.

But not to deviate from your intresting quest to find out the most culti of the crew. CEDU should be considered for the Most honorable mention after Synanon. I think of them like the Sutherlands. You might be familiar with Donald from so many roles. But we all know who Jack Baur is. CEDU.

I would definitely not want to be in your position. When you write, it's going to go out into the public sphere, so your parents will  most likely read it There's the dilemma of whether or not you want them to, and if so, should you edit your piece to account for them as part of your audience? Let me just say that I am glad I'm not writing a book about RMA.

I agree, that if you are going to write about this, you have an obligation to be as truthful as possible. A parent might read it who is considering sending their child away. It's too bad (in some ways) that you did not complete the program, because I think that written accounts of the later propheets and the I & Me and Summit would knock people on their asses. I mean, look at how non CEDU people reacted to your detailed account of the truth propheet, and that was the "softest" propheet by far. It only got worse from then on, as you know.

Obviously, I am glad that you didn't have to go through all of the propheets and workshops, but I sure wish someone with as good a memory as yours had, so they could at least tell you about it, and then you could put it in your book.

Maybe this is part of why you are having such a hard time. Your memories of the place are clear, while mine have mostly dissolved away into the ether. Forgetfulness is bliss.

When I was younger, I remember having a rather heated conversation with my mom about RMA. I had just started to come to terms with how fucked up the place was, and I tried to explain to my mom that it was an awful place to send someone, but I couldn't get the words out of my mouth to tell her the kinds of things that happened there. It was so complex and involved. Where would I even start? The conversation ended with her saying "What were we supposed to do?" and me probably saying something along the lines of "Well, it was a fucked up place." and just shrugging my shoulders.

As for blame, I'm willing to give my parents a mulligan on this. Remember that this industry exists to make money, and produce pretty, shiny brochures with happy, smiling faces on them, to con the shit out of nervous parents by promising treatment (by unqualified staff) for valid conditions such as bipolar and depression, and on the other side of it, by warning that typical teenage rebelliousness is pathological. They got suckered. They didn't do it because they wanted to hurt me, or because they hated me, they were just seriously freaked out and incredibly ignorant.

As for why they were one of those parents who believed in solving our problems by sending me elsewhere... well... I think it's a bourgeois thing. I was in a children's home before that. And even before that, my parents were constantly on the precipice of trying to find some place that could handle me. I think it's part of their class' philosophy on childrearing. Pay for a "professional" to handle the job.

I think that the new ad slogan for behavior mod places should be "Is your teenager acting like a teenager? Send them to us."

So.. if CEDU wins second place in the culty awards, do we get anything? Trophy? (::trophy:: ) Ribbon? Tote bag? An I-survived-the-second-cultiest-school-in-the-country-and-all-I-got-was-this-lousy-t-shirt shirt?

Or will we just have to write that with a sharpie pen on our old "Soar Like an Eagle" shirts?

***wonders if anyone still has theirs***

• View Profile
to the contrary, mon frer
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 06:28:50 PM »
I graduated. All the bells and whistles and contracts, and fuzz in my teeth a few months before: here check it out: I AM working on those workshops. embarassing but 100% authentic:

The I and Me Workshop
I= Thinking
Me=Feeling
GIVE ME A VOICE!

We did an exercise today on the chairs. I worked a lot on feelings Crazy and Me went really deep into it. Me also feels really proud to make it to this point. I went third so it was really neat to watch other people work. I know Me is ready.

I think Rea is a great man he really touched me. He just did the exercise with himself and me was glad to be a part of it.

I did not think Me would feel good, but he does. He is also very sad about what I did to him.
   Me just got back from spending the night on the floor. Me talked to a buch of people. It was a good time. Me spent time on the floor with REDACTED.
   I am laying down the commitment right Now to go for broke in there. Also to really take advantage of this notebook. I will write a lot. I am not going to give it a number or anything but I will write. I will remember this workshop.

Anyway me is really sad me is just looking at the imagine picture and how innocent me really is a lot of the time I thinks me is bad and Always has been that way.
   Me knows I wants to take over and tell me that Nobody loves me. Me knows this isn?t true. ----good night REDACTED

Me is in class right now and everyone is going so fast. Me wants to smoosh. He feels sensitive and playful.
I wish I didn?t have to be in class, I makes Me feel stupid in classes.
   Me is in Gopmetry now studying angles and line segments. Me misses smooshing and going slow. I says speed up. Run, run run. Well me says FUCK I.  YAY ME!

Well I am in my next math class and yes I mean I. Me feels fucking dumb. Me dislikes this class. I tells me he can?t do this and to give up. Sometimes Me believes I. Me feels for other people. Me really understands people too,
I hopes people struggle and don?t feel good. I tells Me that he doesn?t care. Me does care.

Dirt List
Give me a voice!
1. I made me make cracks in music with REDACTED and REDACTED.
2. I made me take too much coffee.
3. I listened to too much music on home visit.
4. I listened to 2 grageful dead songs and did not turn it off right away.
5. I did not talk to Randy or Nils on Home Visit.
6. I learned how to play beginning of unaccepable and play it. Make that crack with REDACTED.
7. I talked and passed notes in class with REDACTED. Geometry.
8. I remembers that he set off alarm in Challenge and died not get in trouble for it. Me know this is not true.
9. I wore sunglasses and knew it was wrong.
10. I?s Dorm had lights out late.

2nd I & Me session
Well,
I me we just did the I want to live fight againsht the pillows on a deeper level. Me feels like SHIT. I WON
or at least I tells Me that I won.

I tells me that I is bigger than me. Right Now Me believes it.
I is telling Me to run away.
I is telling Me BE alone.
Me down?t think.
I tells me Me doesn?t know what to do. Me quit.
Or at least I told me he quit.
Me needs to talk to another Me.
I tells me I has BEEN THERE LONGER THAN ME!

I am finishing eating brunch with REDACTED. I is in control there is nothing me can do. I think.
Me is scared. Me doesn?t know kwhat dto do. He is alone. I tells me he is alone. Tells me he is confused. I tells me to be scared. I or Me wants to talk to someone but noone is here that I know. I am even thinking of going to Caroline. Me knows she understands but thinks she doens?t trust or like me.
God I would like to call REDACTED and talk to her. Me knows __would help me. Maybe I would I would be allowed to call.
Me Really sees Rock Bottom and loves what he sees in others But I tells him that it is not inside of him
Randy is here maybe I or ame can go talk to him. I tells me that still NO one can understand.
I says I have always been here been here since you were a little fetus. Your mother made I you were I when mom found out she was pregnant you were a mistake. You should be a girl. You were supposed to be retarded. There is no Me you are I. AND there is not a damn thing you can do. Why do you think Ma did drugs while she was expecting you? Why do you think she wrote that book?
All these people keep going by and touchingme. I says me wishes they would leave me alone. That?s all I want LEAVE me in I. I is all thereI tells me that he doesn?t know what to do.
I tells me that there isn?t anything but I. Me believes it. It is holidays and me is miserable.
Me wonders if anyone understands this. Me feels so alone. I feel like I need a huge enema. {(talk for emotional release)}
-in the living room. (House)
Me still feels like shit. I AM ME I says.
I almost didn?t write. I says me needs help.
Fuck the lingo for a second. I feel so fucked. I don?t know what to do.
I says leave the school, get stoned, you suck at sports, you don?t write neat enough. You won?tbe able to graduate because ou don?t deserve it because you are a fruitcake you can?t be at this school because this is for Me?es. You don?t have a ME. Me DEAD. Me never lived and Me never will.
I has control. He says I?m numb so I am or Me is. I says DON?T look at your Imagine picture so Me doesn?t. NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND THIS.

That is about the first twenty pages of my IandMe journal. I did it all. and the summit I don't know if i'll include in the book. PM me about that.
Funny you're the second person to indicate to me today that I musnt've graduated. I did. I'm just pissed for DIFFERENT reasons.
One of the funniest things was that my main counselor at the time used to comment: Blown, you are fifteen years old and you hold a grudge longer than anyone I've ever known."
They had fair warning, in all fairness. Even as an older student I did NOT stop bitching about being there, the perceived injustices, and the wrongs that had been done to me there. I ran my anger at Caroline. Frequently. I stayed in agreement, mindfucked myself into the program while resisting it the whole time.
Hadn't you ever noticed that they school always shook up the older students A LOT before the IandME and summit. Kids left under unusal and unexpected circumstances during those periods. It was always mysterious when one of your older brothers got kicked out during an experience you just knew you were going to go through in a year. I mean if you've made it that far, it's gotta be pretty bad.

Fear not Castle, the Iandme is half done, and the John lennon songs play frequently in my head, now, as a result.

That part during "god" when he says "I was the walrus, but now I'm John" makes me moan every time. I'm already in tears at this point, usually. Yes. I did it all, my friend, and I want it all to be as truthful, and accurate as the rest of my bullshit that I've written is. Stick around for a while this time you geek.
one
-blownaway
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 08:33:08 PM »
Oh, sorry about that. For some reason, when you talked about how you ran away, I thought you never went back.

Jesus fucking christ, reading that I & Me shit is scary. The fact that we had no problems writing like we were completely batshit insane is proof enough that we were at wacky camp.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 10:48:02 PM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
You two alone are solid proof that CEDU wins the most culty nutso rama prize.

And for some strange, twisted reason, I take great pride in that.

Do I get my trophy now?  ::trophy::

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 11:00:38 PM »
perfect. I know right where to put that.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 11:18:09 PM »
bitterness is fun...

blownaway, I got the trophy first, but you can have visitation rights every other week. I did graduate before you, after all.

• View Profile
lauging again.
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 10:06:03 AM »
you are both coo coo for cocoa puffs.
I'm giggling my motherfuckingass off.
while i'm not sure where I would store my trophy, i appreciate the visitation rights offer, i think i'll pass. thanks.
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange