Author Topic: Who wins the prize as the most Cult like program?  (Read 18243 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Who wins the prize as the most Cult like program?
« on: June 24, 2006, 10:50:00 PM »
This seems a little prurient....I mean, whats the difference? There was no "cult-like' if you really consider it. They are all cults, plain and simple.

Like a grand plume of offshoot cults stemming from the the same old time-tested rotten methodology.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »
On 2006-06-24 19:55:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Of course they are all cults. I am curious to which is the most blatantly cult like. Some programs at least attempt to cover up their cultiness with a thin veneer of some psuedo-babble they pass off as treatment. Others do not even bother with that, they just go full banana nutty cult.

India Indicas, Mr. Peabody?
-- Sherman

"

Now THIS is some of the wit that I love!!! :tup:

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 05:23:00 AM »
In my experience the cult like aspects of the program are not the ones that effect the child. They don't need to be. Trapped in a situation and entirely at the mercy of their keepers for an undetermined amount of time eventually the kid is going to break so the cult like aspect is unimportant.

The Cult-like activity is much more significant in the program-parent interaction as the program needs to gain and maintain control over the thinking processes of a grown adult who can walk out at any time. Therefore inmho the most cultlike group is WWASPS using the Gilcrease model seminars.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 05:43:00 AM »
On 2006-06-25 02:23:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"Therefore inmho the most cultlike group is WWASPS using the Gilcrease model seminars."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
done and done. [ This Message was edited by: Three Springs Waygookin on 2006-06-25 17:30 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
Let me guess, the first request by Who was to delete his post and the second was to ban him from your forum forever?

Back to the topic, WWASPS is run by a Mormon in Utah. Pretty sure that cinches the cult title.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »
Straight, Inc is by far the most cult-like!

Don't ask me how I know this; I just know...

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
Roloff was an independent, baptist preacher, Hell bent on rehabilitating youth. Went to great lengths to avoid state regulation. He used to travel around Tx holding revivals in tents. Radical fundy.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
On 2006-06-26 00:47:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Nah the who annoyed me with his crap so I erased it, then he asked if I was from North Korea so I erased it again.

Straight and WWASP hmmmmm

Who did that freak Rolof work for?

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves

--Ronald Reagan

"

North Korea?
You mean The Who is so stupid he even believes the stuff I write!?  :eek:

Offline odie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
Nothing will ever come close to Synanon. It was from this cult that all of the behavior modification programs were born. :wave:

I was born a heretic. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
--Susan B. Anthony, U.S. reformer and suffragist

die

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »
On 2006-06-25 02:23:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"In my experience the cult like aspects of the program are not the ones that effect the child. They don't need to be. Trapped in a situation and entirely at the mercy of their keepers for an undetermined amount of time eventually the kid is going to break so the cult like aspect is unimportant.

The Cult-like activity is much more significant in the program-parent interaction as the program needs to gain and maintain control over the thinking processes of a grown adult who can walk out at any time. Therefore inmho the most cultlike group is WWASPS using the Gilcrease model seminars.

"

To expand on the program-parent thing, at Hyde the demands for money were a big part of that. Hyde also used parent seminars and most of those were also pitches for "donations" - over and above what the parents were paying for the already high tuition. In addition to enriching the Hyde people, the "donations" were intended to prove the parents' commitment to Hyde and lack of same could cause your kid to be treated horribly (as I learned). But the more money a parent gave to Hyde, the more they got sucked into the program themselves and the less likely they were to listen to their kids.
As to "the most cultlike" I gotta go with Odie. Synanon is the only rehab cult I know of that got an inmate to commit murder for them.

The body of
        Benjamin Franklin, printer,
      (Like the cover of an old book,
            Its contents worn out,
    And scripts of it's lettering and gilding)
       Lies Here, food for worms!
     Yet the work itself shall not be lost,
For it will, as he believed, appear once more
                 In a new
         And more beautiful edition,
          Corrected and amended
                By it's Author!

Epitaph for himself.

--Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »
On 2006-06-25 16:24:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"That is one scary looking little bastard. Still other than your opinion MA what supporting facts do you have to report to support your claim?

I cannot see how a man of any large degree of humorous perception can ever be religious -- unless he purposely shut the eyes of his mind and keep them shut by force.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

"

My nomination is based on the following... Every other program conditions it's inmates through various interpretations of milieu control. It's not hard to get people to internalise your ideas when you hold almost limitless power over them.
Therefore the inmate murders etc are less impressive as a demonstration of technical skill than, say persuading an intelligent and articulate parents to voluntarily part with $40000 of ther hard earned money to have their kids treated like criminals. WWASPS conditions parents without recourse to the most important supporting principle of thought reform and that my friends is pretty fucking scary.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
With reference back to the original question, neither of those two things (freakaleak ceremonies or homicides) are intrinsic features of cults or cult-like organisations. While I agree that both of those organisations are really scary they are still less cult like than wwasps.

Billy Joel.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 02:47:00 AM »
You're right that is remarkably unsettling.
I think we might have a case for separate catagories here.

Fornits cultiness award for best programming techniques goes to...(sound of opening envelope)... David Gilcrease of WWASPS

Fornits Cultiness award for most bizarre practices goes to CEDU....

Billy Joel.

Offline LauraLee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »
I hear Hyde is pretty cult-like.

I almost got sent there... *phew*