Author Topic: memorial service for victims of Straight, November 11th 6PM  (Read 51102 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
memorial service for victims of Straight, November 11th 6PM
« Reply #540 on: November 13, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »
Well, I'm on this computer here at the Fairfax Library...  

The memorial service in Springfield rocked!  Thanks to everyone who participated.

Froderick played Stairway To Heaven at the end and we all sang.  Man, I'm tellin ya it was beautiful!  Nice job Frod.

The after-party was incredible too.

Where are the pics ???  Somebody get 'em up.

More later...my time here is about up.

Peace to all.  Pirate out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 13, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »
::heart::  ::dove::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 14, 2006, 10:49:04 AM »
Quote from: Guest
I sure wish I could have made it.

Ginger

I WAZ SO READY 2 MEET U.

-STEVE BROWN

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Memorial and after-party pics
« Reply #543 on: November 14, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »
Quote from: Str8survivorVA
NCL and I posted our pics to the Yahoo Straight

THE PIC OF US PEEIN WAZ AWESOME !

-S

dragonfly

« Reply #544 on: November 14, 2006, 07:29:53 PM »

Offline lostnfound

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 14, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
Quote from: ""dragonfly""
Thanks  going out to Pirate and to my many new friends...

Thanks goes out to you!
It was good to see you again!

Offline Valhalla

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 14, 2006, 08:39:08 PM »
I'm still reeling from the after-shocks.

It was a beautiful and very empowering service!  I think it brought us all closer as a community, having shared this undescribable moment together.  Perhaps a bit of closure, too.

The grand finale was great!  Watering the wall! Some even went back to do it again!   :lol:

It was great to be able to meet those who I hadn't met before and to see those who I knew.  A bunch of good people they are!

This will be something I will never forget!

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 15, 2006, 10:38:53 AM »
I'm home now.

What a trip!

So good to be with people who get it!

For those who couldn't make it I will describe the scene some.  The front of the building has all kinds of energy in it.  Of course Ferguson is a business.  They sell plumbing supplies and lighting fixtures, so the front of the building actually looks quite warm and inviting, that is, as commercial buildings in the middle of Babylon go.  The grounds out front are all nicely landscaped and the grass is all lush and green, but as you turn the corner toward the back parking lot, which I sorta think of as the last stop before the gates to hell, a post-apocalyptic scene unfolds.  The contrast is quite stark.  The gravel is still there.  Hardly anything is alive.  It is like an abandoned lot.  I mean the whole area around it is all developed with commercial bussinesses but no one wants that back parking lot.  The only thing growing there is some hearty scrubgrass, all yellow and dry and sparse.  That side of the building looks as though it has been totally ignored for years or maybe decades.  The mortar between the bricks is all falling out and vines are growng up the walls.  Ol' pieces of rusting metal litter the grounds. The same ol' pine trees border the lot.  

We chose to have our memorial service right in the middle of the back parking lot.  Seemed appropriate, and despite the wave of nausia that I think came over just about everyone who showed up, we were in the right place.  A canopy was set up.  Under the canopy an altar was created out of 2 blanketed, folding card tables.  One blanket was black canvass(a piece of this black canvass is the mourning flag flying) and the other was from Tajikistan.  Then  white flowers and white candles and incense and sage were spread on the altar.  A circle of about 40 candle lanterns defined the outer boundary of the space we held. These lanterns were all lit as the ceremony began.  There was a bell made out of an ol' nitrious tank that had been cut in half hangin' behind the altar and as the bell was slowly rung another candle was lit until the circle was complete. Poetry was read.  Offerrings were made.  There was about a 10 minute silence at one point, as the candles on the flowered altar danced and flicked their light... M.I.s were burned.  People were free to speak their minds and they did.  The past was unleashed and things that had been left in darkness were brought to us....and by that I mean that there was a sense of righteousness and validation...

...of dignified respect.  

After all the offerings were made and words spoken there was a toast to the fallen and the wounded.  Plastic cups were passed out and people were given a choice of Champaigne,  Jamesons Irish Whiskey or Soda.  It was a long toast, I can't remember it all now, but it was righteous, I know that.

All in all it was a triumphant memorial.  The cops even showed up at the end, just as we were all gettin' ready to cut out 'a' there...I didn't get near 'em but I think some survivor who had parked near where the cops had pulled up, talked to them and they left.  None the less we got out of their in a hurry after that!

I just want the people who couldn't make it for whatever reason but who wanted to be there to have some idea of what went on.    

Oh...and the peeing on the building an' stuff too.... :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:21:45 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 15, 2006, 12:52:57 PM »
...Oh and the last time I peed on the building before I split I looked to my right, toward the door that we all walked through, every day on our way to the intake room or group, and there were flowers from the altar sticking out sillouetted against the Babylonian night.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 15, 2006, 03:02:47 PM »
Quote from: ""starry-eyed pirate""
I'm home now.

What a trip!

So good to be with people who get it!

For those who couldn't make it I will describe the scene some.  The front of the building has all kinds of energy in it.  Of course Ferguson is a business.  They sell plumbing supplies and lighting fixtures, so the front of the building actually looks quite warm and inviting, that is, as commercial buildings in the middle of Babylon go.  The grounds out front are all nicely landscaped and the grass is all lush and green, but as you turn the corner toward the back parking lot, which I sorta think of as the last stop before the gates to hell, a post-apocalyptic scene unfolds.  The contrast is quite stark.  The gravel is still there.  Hardly anything is alive.  It is like an abandoned lot.  I mean the whole area around it is all developed with commercial bussinesses but no one wants that back parking lot.  The only thing growing there is some hearty scrubgrass, all yellow and dry and sparse.  That side of the building looks as though it has been totally ignored for years or maybe decades.  The mortar between the bricks is all falling out and vines are growng up the walls.  Ol' pieces of rusting metal litter the grounds. The same ol' pine trees border the lot.  

We chose to have our memorial service right in the middle of the back parking lot.  Seemed appropriate, and despite the wave of nausia that I think came over just about everyone who showed up, we were in the right place.  A canopy was set up.  Under the canopy an altar was created out of 2 blanketed, folding card tables.  One blanket was black canvass(a piece of this black canvass is the mourning flag flying) and the other was from Tajikistan.  Then  white flowers and white candles and incense and sage were spread on the altar.  A circle of about 40 candle lanterns defined the outer boundary of the space we held. These lanterns were all lit as the ceremony began.  There was a bell made out of an ol' nitrious tank that had been cut in half hangin' behind the altar and as the bell was slowly rung another candle was lit until the circle was complete. Poetry was read.  Offerrings were made.  There was about a 10 minute silence at one point, as the candles on the flowered altar danced and flicked their light... M.I.s were burned.  People were free to speak their minds and they did.  The past was unleashed and things that had been left in darkness were brought to us....and by that I mean that there was a sense of righteousness and validation...

...of dignified respect.  

After all the offerings were made and words spoken there was a toast to the fallen and the wounded.  Plastic cups were passed out and people were given a choice of Champaigne,  Jamesons Irish Whiskey or Soda.  It was a long toast, I can't remember it all now, but it was righteous, I know that.

All in all it was a triumphant memorial.  The cops even showed up at the end, just as we were all gettin' ready to cut out 'a' there...I didn't get near 'em but I think some survivor who had parked near where the cops had pulled up, talked to them and they left.  None the less we got out of their in a hurry after that!

I just want the people who couldn't make it for whatever reason but who wanted to be there to have some idea of what went on.    

Oh...and the peeing on the building an' stuff too.... :rofl:

Beautiful.  Simply beautiful.

IDNB

Offline frootloop88

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 15, 2006, 03:25:28 PM »
This was truely the most moving experience I have ever had.  The memorial was beautiful, the set up was perfect.  
Thank you so much to Dragonfly and Starry-eyed pirate for your excellent ideas and organization.  Also a special thank you to Valhalla, lostnfound and Str8survivorVA.  Everyone that I met, I feel is family and I hope to meet you all again someday.
Thank you to everyone who made this all happen as well as the after party.  Had an awesome time meeting everyone.
Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 15, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »
Froderick played Stairway To Heaven at the end and we all sang.  Man, I'm tellin ya it was beautiful!  Nice job Frod.

Thanks! It was an honor to play that for Steve & Kelly the other night. Thanks to NCL for the last-minute encouragement and for printing up the lyrics, and thanks to the people who sang along! I would have been lost without the vox...

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 15, 2006, 07:01:24 PM »
 A circle of about 40 candle lanterns defined the outer boundary of the space we held. These lanterns were all lit as the ceremony began.  There was a bell made out of an ol' nitrious tank that had been cut in half hangin' behind the altar and as the bell was slowly rung another candle was lit until the circle was complete.

The ceremony was ended in the same deliberate way, but in reverse, so that as the bell rang out another candle was extinguished until the circle went dark again.

Just really wantin the people who couldn't make to get a clear picture of what went down.

::cheers::

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #553 on: November 15, 2006, 09:03:04 PM »
 A circle of about 40 candle lanterns defined the outer boundary of the space we held. These lanterns were all lit as the ceremony began.  There was a bell made out of an ol' nitrious tank that had been cut in half hangin' behind the altar and as the bell was slowly rung another candle was lit until the circle was complete.

The ceremony was ended in the same deliberate way, but in reverse, so that as the bell rang out another candle was extinguished until the circle went dark again.

Just really wantin the people who couldn't make to get a clear picture of what went down.

::cheers::

Maybe someone could write up a summary of the VA memorial?
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 15, 2006, 09:17:26 PM »
...uhhh....hunh...

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I thought that's what we were doin'...