Author Topic: My English Comp. Essay  (Read 3257 times)

Offline teachback

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
A child who is dangerous to other members of the family, is stealing from the household and causing harm certainly does give up the right to live in the home. It's not a matter of family values- it's a matter of what is right for the ENTIRE family.

So this makes it ok to abuse them?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
On 2006-06-03 14:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

""A child never gives up her right to be with her family. If living with the family is indeed a 'right' then it cannot be taken from her without violating her rights."

A child who is dangerous to other members of the family, is stealing from the household and causing harm certainly does give up the right to live in the home. It's not a matter of family values- it's a matter of what is right for the ENTIRE family. "

Now you are making stuff up. Go back and read your post again. The essay said:

"Because of unhealthy choices we had made at home such as skipping school, running away, promiscuity, drug use, and/or depression among others, we were sent to this Wilderness Treatment Program to get ?our heads screwed on straight"

You responded that because of the above behavior, the girl lost her right to live at home. You said nothing of posing a physical danger to the family.

I have read this bullshit before. It's the lead in to the pathetic 'last resort' argument.

Okay, let's assume you have this violent and dangerous kid in your home and you are afraid the little psychopath is going to slit your throat in the middle of the night. What now? A program?

Oops! Sorry. Program policies (right on their websites) state they DON'T TAKE violent or dangerous kids. So, either the programs are liars (and I think they are) or you are suggesting that a dangerous, violent teenager is likely to be mingling with and sleeping in the same room with other troubled teenagers who suffer from such minor problems that the Programs' websites say they can cure. You know, like depression and ADHD.

You cannot have it both ways. If these facilities are harboring dangerous psychotic teens, then any parent that sends their child there is taking an obvious, irresponsible risk with their child. If the kids are not dangerous, then they don't deserve to be sent away and have not forfeited their rights. They can stay home.

Furthermore, let's say you have a dangerous and psychotic child that needs to be institutionalized. Does that justify throwing them into a place where the program forbids you to have contact with them? Of course not.

There is no way you can ever justify cutting contact between child and parent and any parent that allows this is negligent of their responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of their child. It's clear. It's simple. It's obvious.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
That was everything but a waste of my time, very well written account of your journey, Sarah, you expressed yourself well.
Good Luck, I am sure you received a good grade.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »
Bravo Sarah! and I agree with AntMan all the way.

As for the anon who thinks it is ok to kick someone out of the family: you don't  have a clue what a real family is about.  A kid does not get to that stage overnight; it takes a lot of mighty bad parental neglect along the way.  By the way if the kid is truly a "danger" to the family he or she needs competent psychiatric care.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

""A child never gives up her right to be with her family. If living with the family is indeed a 'right' then it cannot be taken from her without violating her rights."

A child who is dangerous to other members of the family, is stealing from the household and causing harm certainly does give up the right to live in the home. It's not a matter of family values- it's a matter of what is right for the ENTIRE family. "

This was the statement and the response to the statement. Perhaps you should learn to read- no one said anything about the essay.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
On 2006-06-03 20:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

This was the statement and the response to the statement. Perhaps you should learn to read- no one said anything about the essay."

Once again, the program supporter avoids the issue, so let me restate the issue.

1. The essay describes a young person's experience where she and other teenagers were treated in a very disturbing and unfair way.

2. The program supporter basically said that these teens deserve to be treated this way because they misbehaved.

3. I countered that misbehaving is not a valid reason to treat teens this way, nor is it a valid reason to have them removed from home.

4. The program supporter brings up the possibility that perhaps the teen poses a physical danger to other families and must be removed from the home.

5. I countered that the essay (and therefore my response) never addressed this particular situation and that programs, according to their own policy statements, do not accept violent teens, anyway. Therefore the point is moot, and so not relevant to the discussion.

6. The program supporter calls me illiterate.

BTW, one of my posts was as an anon, because I forgot to log in. I think everyone can figure out which one easily enough.

I want credit for my posts because I stand behind what I say. I believe in it. I would never hide under a bag and take pot shots at people who are informing me of horrible things that have happened to them.

Your 'blame the victim' mentality is out of date. They used to blame rape victims for getting raped saying because they dressed sexy, or had too much to drink, they were asking for it. You are using the same logic. You are blaming an abuse victim for what happened to them because their behavior does not fit your own standards (skipping school, taking drugs, having sex).

As an adult and a parent, I do not want my children to engage in these activities, but I do not think that they deserve to be abused for it.

I would not remove my child from my home for any of these things. I would do my best to work with my child to educate them on the dangers of this behavior. I would offer whatever support my child needed, including individual or family therapy. I would want to know if my behavior had anything to do with it and if so, I would want to correct and mend my relationship with my child. I would never cut them off. I would never stop talking to them. I would never send my own child to a prison camp to have other people, no matter what their qualifications are or how good willed they might be, force my child to submit to their will and adopt a set of imposed values. This is not how civilized people behave. I would not give up on my child, ever. Their is no 'exit plan' for me in my commitment to be his parent.

And, I would understand that all my efforts might not be successful because my child is an individual and must make his own decisions in life and find his own way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »
On 2006-06-04 06:47:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"

On 2006-06-03 20:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

This was the statement and the response to the statement. Perhaps you should learn to read- no one said anything about the essay."

Once again, the program supporter avoids the issue, so let me restate the issue.

1. The essay describes a young person's experience where she and other teenagers were treated in a very disturbing and unfair way.

2. The program supporter basically said that these teens deserve to be treated this way because they misbehaved.

3. I countered that misbehaving is not a valid reason to treat teens this way, nor is it a valid reason to have them removed from home.

4. The program supporter brings up the possibility that perhaps the teen poses a physical danger to other families and must be removed from the home.

5. I countered that the essay (and therefore my response) never addressed this particular situation and that programs, according to their own policy statements, do not accept violent teens, anyway. Therefore the point is moot, and so not relevant to the discussion.

6. The program supporter calls me illiterate.

BTW, one of my posts was as an anon, because I forgot to log in. I think everyone can figure out which one easily enough.

I want credit for my posts because I stand behind what I say. I believe in it. I would never hide under a bag and take pot shots at people who are informing me of horrible things that have happened to them.

Your 'blame the victim' mentality is out of date. They used to blame rape victims for getting raped saying because they dressed sexy, or had too much to drink, they were asking for it. You are using the same logic. You are blaming an abuse victim for what happened to them because their behavior does not fit your own standards (skipping school, taking drugs, having sex).

As an adult and a parent, I do not want my children to engage in these activities, but I do not think that they deserve to be abused for it.

I would not remove my child from my home for any of these things. I would do my best to work with my child to educate them on the dangers of this behavior. I would offer whatever support my child needed, including individual or family therapy. I would want to know if my behavior had anything to do with it and if so, I would want to correct and mend my relationship with my child. I would never cut them off. I would never stop talking to them. I would never send my own child to a prison camp to have other people, no matter what their qualifications are or how good willed they might be, force my child to submit to their will and adopt a set of imposed values. This is not how civilized people behave. I would not give up on my child, ever. Their is no 'exit plan' for me in my commitment to be his parent.

And, I would understand that all my efforts might not be successful because my child is an individual and must make his own decisions in life and find his own way.

"

beautifully said

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
Sarah, as a parent I enjoyed reading your essay, excellent work, and I hope you received an A on your essay, please let us know!!

Offline Curious & Willing to

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
Sarah, I am a parent too, and I really enjoyed reading and learning from your essay, excellent job, please let us know if you received that "A".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
Leslie, maybe Greg can write an essay. wouldn't that be nice?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »
Why can't you just leave me alone??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 01:33:00 AM »
Why do you keep bumping up old postings? WTF is your problem?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 01:37:00 AM »
you never answered the other question. what kind of meds DO YOU TAKE? must be some bad shit? you ARE weird.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
My English Comp. Essay
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 04:59:00 AM »
What i loved about the essay was that it was an insightful look at the mentality of the industry. It also raises the big questions, like what supports should be in palce for families to make them feel they have better options than a programme. The fact that the more distrubing aspects of the programme, like being stripped and forced to squat on arrival were described quite dispassionately really made it all the more moving.

I marvel that any parent after reading this essay by this sensitive and insightful kid would want to go down the programme road. Surely what it shows is that kids do want to work things out with their family, and that by failing to meet them 1/2 way the society which allows these places to flourish is selling its kids short.

Kid i hope you get an A
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen