Author Topic: Another Florida Camp Death  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
Another Florida Camp Death
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »
14 year old Dillon Peak died June 17th 2006, after falling ill at the Peace River Outward Bound Camp on May 17th 2006.  This program is a wilderness expedition program for low-risk offenders in Desoto County, Florida.

For further reading, go to the FICA site.  
http://www.kathymoya.com/FICA/index.htm ... n_Peak.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 04:02:00 AM »
Personally, this is truely tragic.  In another thread i had suggested outward bound as a program.  I had also stated that i didnt like their "troubled teen" spin.  I think outward bound is a good program for families to experience a good time together.

The "troubled teen industry" is NOT a good time nor is it appropriate for kids of any age.

With that said, i feel bad for the family of the boy and i feel for the boy and the pain he went through.  I'm sorry that the DJJ subjected him to this industry.  I also want to point out that i dont endorse outward bound, just providing what i've heard about the program.  Its also the reason why i said the PARENTS or legal guardian should accompany the minor on any of these "wilderness" expeditions and if at any point they do not feel SAFE, to get out of the situation in whatever way you can in order to protect yourself and your child.

**** side story but relevant*****

When i entered college, i was subjected to bounder experiences.  These experiences brought me out into the vermont wilderness/woods and taught me that i am capable of many things.  Every freshman in my college went through "winter expedition"  I never wanted to go, nor did i wish to subject my body to that, however because it was a class, i did it.  I completed the 4 day 3 night journey hiking through kneedeep to waist deep snow with subzero temperatures at night.  IF at any time i felt unsafe during the whole expedition, i could get out.  I stayed due to peer pressure.  I dryheaved on the trail the last day of expedition and was "evacuated" back to the school.  Not by my choice, but by the choice of the professors who were hiking with us.

My point is, if at any time you feel unsafe or like y-ou s-h-o-u-l-d  leave a program, follow that instinct, and dont feel guilty about it.

*************end tangent*******

I hope the boy's family finds peace with themselves.[ This Message was edited by: mbnh31782 on 2006-06-28 10:46 ]

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:04:00 AM »
My point is, if at any time you feel unsafe or like I want you to leave a program, follow that instinct, and dont feel guilty about it.

I agree. When i was in high school our outdoor ed class did the dduke of edinborough awards. This involved 3 weekends of proper bush camping and canoeing. (It was not that hardcore) One girl developed a slight fever & was sent home immediately even though she whinged to stay. Turned out it was a head cold & she was fine. Nobody wanted to take a chance though. Time and time again i am staggered as to why any medical issue with these kids is not taken really seriously. I dont know what kind of criminally negligent buffon would take a kid straight from hospital back into the bush.
 That poor lad. My condolences to his family.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
Mbnh31782, you are missing the point: this boy was court-appointed; his parents were not notified that he was sick---and he and his parents were NOT given the opportunity to withdraw him and SIMPLY LEAVE!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »
TSW: is this your true feeling, or more of your trolling to fool fornits posters? When are you to be taken seriously? You confuse us.

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »
i dont think i missed the point, i understand he was court appointed to be there which is why i do not reccommend the outward bound "troubled teen" program.  It seems shoddy and like they want to make a quick dollar.  I also dont like the fact that the mother wasnt notified until the SECOND time the child was hospitalized.  I do believe that the outward bound staff took the precautions neccessary to get him to medical care, however, without being there, or actually being in the situation i cannot say for sure.

Where the school failed was in the communication between the family, the child, and the facility.[ This Message was edited by: mbnh31782 on 2006-06-28 10:52 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
And, she was "notified" on her way to pick this little boy up to take him home.
The real POINT is: this was not a volunteer placement. The parents had NO CONTROL over the situation.
Children are dying while this mess is "being figured out."
It's not just happening in Florida, either.
When people, like you, recommend Outward Bound--that is what people MAY read: just the TITLE. People may not realize the various programs-within-a-program. That's the catch.

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
Just a side note, Outward Bound was once involved with Hyde School in the early '70s.

Life is like a bird, at any given moment it is droping a load. It is only a matter of time before one eventually find you.

http://fornits.com/about_us.htm' target='_new'>SysAdmin