Author Topic: Three Springs wilderness camps  (Read 24059 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Three Springs wilderness camps
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
Can you provide news links to either of these deaths? Or provide any other specific information I might use in a search? Approximate dates, names, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »
No they were well buried.  All that you can find is the settlement that the family got in Tuskegee if you look very hard.  You can't find anything about the incident on the Wayne County girl that was covered up as soon as it happened.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
Wayne County was roughly in May or June of 2003 and Tuskeegee was in maybe Feb or March 2000.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »
Because so many programs are not licensed it is difficult to get accurate data on deaths, injuries, assaults, etc.
I don't remember, is Three Springs licensed? Rather, are any of their facilities licensed?
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
it would have probably been june or july of 2003 then... i remember them talking about it being in the summer.  when i was there the school let out for like a month in june/july... so it would have had to be implemented right around there... i think there was talk about her heart problems and an asthma attack of sorts which caused her heart to stop....

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »
Are the kids at Three Springs given a thorough physical before particpation?

Are the meds they are taking a consideration?
How were ya'll trained to deal with this?

Where I"m going, is that many of the kids who have died in programs were on psych meds which cause the kid to easily overheat and/or get overly excited easily. Some (amphetimines) negatively effect the heart.

And given the rigors or wilderness, why would anyone in their right mind, that knows what goes on in these places, allow a child with asthma to be enrolled?

Given the risks, it seems like programs would proceed with extreme caution where meds are concerned. But then, they really aren't loosing sleep over kids dying. These two deaths,if legitmate, are not the first that have been covered up and kept out of the media.

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006, 01:53:00 AM »
Question: Are the kids at Three Springs given a thorough physical before particpation?

Answer:  The kids are sent by the Department of Juvenile Justice.  Their med records are faxed over by the State.  If they get sick, there are registered nurses on staff for 5 days out of 7 days from 8-5 pm.  A doctor is available by appointment, he also comes out once a month or so I think.  There is also a psychiatrist that comes out 2 times a month or once a month.

Question: Are the meds they are taking a consideration?

Answer: Probably not, the kids are on antipsychotics and stuff for depression.  Seroquel is a popular drug dispensed.  

Question: How were ya'll trained to deal with this?

Answer: About a month long training including CPR and Basic First Aid.  Most of the training focused on Department of Juvenile Justice stuff as well as how to contain/restrain kids properly.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
If the meds they are taking aren't a consideration, they damned well should be.

There's at least one class of antipsychotics, the neuroleptics, that make it irresponsible and grossly negligent to take the patient out on some extended trek outdoors.

Julie

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
yep... one kid, if i remember correctly, was on lithium... or something to that effect... it was some absurdly nasty drug that she shouldnt have been in the sun, yet every day she was.  we were made aware of her meds thanks to my friend who was the RN there.  I made sure to stop her every 15 minutes and make her drink some water.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »
You're still a programmie at heart, TSW. Stage system? The only response to that is for you to shove it up your ass. No matter how much power you think you have.

Hopefully he'll come back and kill you some day.

And the bitch who got assaulted had it coming. I hope it was anal penetration.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
***I have often wondered if they get a slice of the pie for med refills with local providers or something like that, but they sure seemed pretty keen to drug a kid up to the gills every chance they had.

Yeh, programs frequently have sweetheart deals with local pharmacies.

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »
http://www.showmenews.com/2001/Sep/20010914News014.asp

Written in 2001

Story ran on Friday, September 14 2001
TUSKEGEE, Ala. (AP) - When Dionte Pickens? body was found, it was hanging in a closet of a juvenile lockup, a black leather belt looped around the 14-year-old?s neck.

His mother believes that her child?s death last October - whether a suicide or a murder - was the result of inadequate supervision at the for-profit Three Springs detention center in Tuskegee. A lawsuit contends Pickens died while his designated supervisor was playing a video game.

The death and the lawsuit have raised questions about the treatment of juveniles at the center, run by Huntsville-based Three Springs Inc., which operates 21 juvenile programs in Alabama and six other states.

The state?s welfare agency has removed about a dozen teens who were assigned there, but the state Department of Youth Services has 25 juveniles at the Tuskegee site and 49 at a center Three Springs operates in Madison.

The state deputy chief medical examiner concluded - after an autopsy and an investigation - that Pickens? death in the cinderblock room was a suicide.

The Alabama Bureau of Investigation referred its investigation report on Pickens? death to the Macon County District Attorney?s Office. Deputy District Attorney Kenneth Gibbs said an investigation was continuing.

Several privately run facilities that treat young offenders have been criticized for poor supervision and management in several states, including centers in Colorado and Louisiana.

Wendy Brooks Crew, a lawyer for Pickens? mother, said Pickens had been locked up in Tuscaloosa for truancy when he was transferred hundreds of miles to the Three Springs center at Tuskegee. Crew said Pickens? mother was not informed in advance about the transfer.

Pickens? mother, Louisa Dunn, claims Three Springs Inc., which is paid $121.50 a day for each of the youngsters assigned to the state it keeps in Tuskegee, either allowed Pickens to be murdered by hanging or allowed him to commit suicide.

The suit contends that a doctor at Three Springs had recommended within three days of Pickens arrival that he have a psychological evaluation as soon as possible.

Instead, Pickens was "housed in a room with non-breakaway hardware" and allowed to have a belt, Crew said. Pickens never received a psychological evaluation and his death was more than a month after his arrival, she said.

Three Springs knew that Pickens, who was taking anti-depressant and psychotropic medication, had previously attempted suicide, Crew said.

Three Springs attorney Marc Givhan said the company is saddened by the death, but would not comment beyond that.

While the state continues to use the Tuskegee facility, state Human Resources Commissioner Bill Fuller said that after he heard about Pickens? death, he removed all of the "12 or 13" abused and neglected teens who were assigned there.

"The atmosphere was generally oppressive for my children," Fuller said.

"My primary reason was not the recent death so much as the physical conditions that my boys were exposed to day-to-day, a confinement atmosphere," he said.

******it took me forever to find this single article******

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks mbnh31782

I know researching this stuff is time consuming. I've spent many hours myself.
Nothing on the Wayne Co death?

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2006, 12:43:00 AM »
not yet... TSW is looking too.  If I had a name, I could look in archives. but i dont have a name

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2006, 06:15:00 AM »
On 2006-06-20 19:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You're still a programmie at heart, TSW. Stage system? The only response to that is for you to shove it up your ass. No matter how much power you think you have.

Hopefully he'll come back and kill you some day.

And the bitch who got assaulted had it coming. I hope it was anal penetration."

How doe giving an honest picture of what you have seen and done make you a progrmmee? These people are using what whey know to inform people. You are just an offensive pig!
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen