Author Topic: My friends mother may be sending her to wilderness therapy..  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My friends mother may be sending her to wilderness therapy..
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
Mind if we just call ya Bruce?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »
Exactly, a lot of the stuff that these hellholes call "manipulation" is really perfectly interaction. It's important though to undertand that the "Teenhelp" industry makes a habit of hijacking the terminology of legitimate psychology and twisting it to fit a totally different agenda.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
-- William James

see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
Get one of the heavy hitters of this board (TSW, DJ, Deborah, Eudora, MSMF) in contact with the mother. Over the phone.

I would advise against this. Do not give your friends phone number to anyone.  There are some who will try to persuade her by yelling and using foul language if she doesn?t agree with them and this will not help your friend, parents don?t respond well to this type of discussion.
The other advice you have received seems to be good, point her towards some of the web sites/links others here have mentioned, which will give her more information and time to think things thru.

Offline LauraLee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »
Yeah, there is no way I'd give our their number to anyone. Just basic internet conduct, haha.

I know for a fact I can't talk to this woman over the phone. She tends to get into shouting matches... I've been the victim of one before.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll see what I can do/ I'll keep you updated.

P.S. - I have absolutley no idea what program they're thinking of, I've been trying to get my friend to find out, but she says her parents haven't been giving up any information other than they're probably sending her to a program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »
On 2006-06-13 05:07:00, RobertBruce wrote:

"

Someone needs a hobby I think. Or a job."

Ever occur to you that this may be his/her job?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 11:07:00 AM »
No it didn't you dumb nigger.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »
On 2006-06-13 06:32:00, TheWho wrote:

"
Get one of the heavy hitters of this board (TSW, DJ, Deborah, Eudora, MSMF) in contact with the mother. Over the phone.

I would advise against this. Do not give your friends phone number to anyone.  There are some who will try to persuade her by yelling and using foul language if she doesn?t agree with them and this will not help your friend, parents don?t respond well to this type of discussion.

The other advice you have received seems to be good, point her towards some of the web sites/links others here have mentioned, which will give her more information and time to think things thru.

"

Who,
I resent the implication. Come clean, which of the people mentioned do you believe would yell and use foul language in order to 'persuade' this mother?

Laura Lee,
Based on what you've said about her mother, it doesn't sound hopeful.
All you can do is present the risks, explain the methods and techniqes, share your personal experience; as matter-of-factly as possible. You might direct her to
63 days http://www.63days.com/  
Bacon court document, posted here
Brooke Adams article on Ian August's death posted here
List of deaths in wilderness, etc.
Doesn't sound like this woman is rational, so it's likely to fall on deaf ears.

If that's the case, coach your friend on how to best survive the ordeal. Explain in great detail what she can expect so there aren't any big surprises. Share any tips you learn to make it easier or less stressful. Let her know that you'll be there to listen when she returns. Give her a piece of reality to hold onto during her 'adventure' to the surreal world of wilderness treatment.  

I know the frustration. My neighbor sent her son to wilderness after ample warning. He didn't return from that experience. Sometimes there is nothing to do but watch and grieve.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
On 2006-06-13 08:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

On 2006-06-13 05:07:00, RobertBruce wrote:

Someone needs a hobby I think. Or a job."

Ever occur to you that this may be his/her job?"

Oh i get it. You're saying that it could be their job to smear stupid bullshit on this forum. gotcha.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
Who,
I resent the implication. Come clean, which of the people mentioned do you believe would yell and use foul language in order to 'persuade' this mother?

I wasn?t implying anyone specific

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
On 2006-06-13 09:18:00, TheWho wrote:

"
Who,

I wasn?t implying anyone specific"

Bullshit.
Stick your head in a hole, we still see you.

You quoted the comment:  
"Get one of the heavy hitters of this board (TSW, DJ, Deborah, Eudora, MSMF) in contact with the mother. Over the phone."

And responded:
"I would advise against this. Do not give your friends phone number to anyone. There are some who will try to persuade her by yelling and using foul language if she doesn?t agree with them and this will not help your friend, parents don?t respond well to this type of discussion."

You said "anyone", not anyone other than the 'heavey hitters' mentioned.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
On 2006-06-13 10:35:00, Deborah wrote:

"

On 2006-06-13 09:18:00, TheWho wrote:

"
Who,

I wasn?t implying anyone specific"

Bullshit.

Stick your head in a hole, we still see you.

You quoted the comment:  

"Get one of the heavy hitters of this board (TSW, DJ, Deborah, Eudora, MSMF) in contact with the mother. Over the phone."

And responded:

"I would advise against this. Do not give your friends phone number to anyone. There are some who will try to persuade her by yelling and using foul language if she doesn?t agree with them and this will not help your friend, parents don?t respond well to this type of discussion."

You said "anyone", not anyone other than the 'heavey hitters' mentioned.

"

I stand by that, she should not give her phone number out to anyone. I have seen parents treated badly here if they dont agree with the majority or cant be swayed and the language and beatings can get bad.

No, I am not going to go off and find links for you, you have been here long enough to have seen it too.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
***I stand by that, she should not give her phone number out to anyone. I have seen parents treated badly here if they dont agree with the majority or cant be swayed and the language and beatings can get bad.

And THAT (giving her number to 'anyone') is not what was suggested, was it? It was suggested that she put the 'heavy hitters' in touch with this mother.
If you were in a program that would get you a week or two on restirctions and a writing assignment or two. Even if it were an honest mistake.

FYI, I am not interested in 'persuading' this mother. Based on the littel I know of her, I view it as a waste of time. But, if she were interested in hearing my opinions and experience, I would gladly share them with her.
My experience is that when a parent is determined to dump their kid, there's not much that will change their mind. They will send them hoping that their kid's experience will be the exception, or they won't be the one coming home in a body bag. They will seek out those who will support their decision. And over the years, it has appeared that some just really don't care either way, as long as the kid is out of the house.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
How about getting the mother to read this thread?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
How about getting the mother to read http://www.cindiandtaylor.com ?

Offline LauraLee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »
Well, jeeze, I would have showed her the thread, but yet again a thread has just collapsed to name-calling. I doubt that would do anything, and if at all, it would just sway her even more to sending Anna to WT.

To all those who truly helped: Thank you. I copied down all the websites and will show them to her. I also took into account all your advice. I may even call her within the next couple of days. We shall see, I know I have to act quickly.

Again, thank you so much. =)