Author Topic: FIFA World Cup(it's goin' on right now in Germany!!)  (Read 4125 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup(it's goin' on right now in Germany!!)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »
Damn!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 09:09:00 AM »
Man, how could you be cheering for Ghana? I was so glad they finally started getting called for their pathetic dives and fake injuries, I was absolutely thrilled to see Gyan get thrown out for taking a dive in the box towards the end of the game. I've been really disappointed with the officiating, almost as much as I have been with all the faking injuries. I'm 3/4 Italian and even I was horrified to see them win that game on such a ridiculous call. And as much as Brazil outplayed Ghana, Adriano was clearly about a mile and a half offsides when he scored that goal. Of course, my vote for the worst call of the last 8 games has to be the one that led to France's second goal yesterday. Since I've had to watch every game in Spanish so far, I still have no idea what the ref was thinking there.

But hey, refs will be refs, and every game has been pretty gamn good, my personal favorite being that Portugal vs. Netherlands game, with all the fighting. You see dude lose his shoe and get it kicked away by the guy guarding him? Or how about dude getting kicked right in the collarbone?

I don't know which is going to be better, Argentina vs. Germany or Brazil vs. France, but I do know that Italy's winning it all baby.
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
Wow what a game between Germany and Argentina, that late goal was absolutely beautiful. I had looked at my buddy right as Ballack was bringing it up the side and I was like "Ballack's gonna cross in a beauty right here and they're gonna tie it up". I can only hope no one scores a golden goal and this thing goes to a shootout baby.
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
I guess I'm the only one around here still obsessed with the world cup, but that's all good. Anyone just watch that Portugal vs. England match? England got a raw deal, but whatever, Portugal's legit, and they'd both be fucked in the next round anyways.

However, I think this was the most memorable game in the world cup for one reason. Remember back when you played youth soccer, like U-12, U-10, U-8 leagues and shit like that? Remember how everyone was always getting called for illegal throw-ins because they'd throw the ball a different direction than their head/body were facing? On the pro level, I thought that was one of those things like traveling in the NBA...either no one's dumb enough to do it, or it's such a juvenile call that the refs just never call it.  

Guess I was wrong. When the Portuguese winger threw an illegal throw-in and got called for it late in the 2nd half, that marked the first time EVER that I've seen someone at the college-level or above get called for an illegal throw-in. I personally thought it was hysterical.

But anyways, Portugal steals Ghana's crown for taking the most dives and faking the most injuries in a 2006 world cup game so far. I'm sure they'll outdo themselves in the semi's since that's the ONLY way they'll have a prayer of advancing to the finals. I mean seriously, doesn't matter if Brazil or France wins today, they'll both wipe the floor with those babies.

Ronaldinho and the boys in yellow are going to smoke the damn French anyways. Viva Brasil!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
Hey man... I'm still here too.  Caught part of the England/Portugal game but had to go back to bed due to headache from hangover...Got back up in time to see France beat Brasil though....I'm glad Brasil's out...kinda opens things up a little more.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
Hey man... I'm still here too.  Caught part of the England/Portugal game but had to go back to bed due to headache from hangover...Got back up in time to see France beat Brasil though....I'm glad Brasil's out...kinda opens things up a little more.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »
Well...enjoy the games dniceo7.  I'm not gonna miss another match.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
Shit gets real today

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »
Yeah man...the competition has really intensified.  Thanx dniceo for all your commentary.  You seem to be pretty knowledgable about the game and the teams.  It's been difficult for me to stay up on whats been happening in the world of international football.  Until recently most of the soccer was only televised on cable stations that I didn't get, but I upgraded my service specifically so I could watch the world cup tournament.  I feel like I need to subscribe to a FIFA newsletter or something just so I can sorta keep up with what goes on twith the players and the rules an' such.  I haven't been too thrilled with the officiatin' either dniceo.  It seems inconsistent to me.  I mean it's like theses guys are hand muggin' each other all the way down thew wing into the corner of the field and nothing is caklled, yet when there is no contact, and someone takes a dive then theres a foul called.  I don't get it.  When I played you couldn't use your hands like that, couldn't grab another player and try to hold him, well you couldn't be so blatantly obvious about it anyway, if you were subtle you might get away with it.  The game has become alot more physical than I remember.  I don't like all the dives and fake injuries either, it's degrading to the sport.  I guess everybody's doin' it though.

I cheered for Ghana because they are underdogs and the U'S was already eliminated.  I liked the way they played with heart...and let's face it Africa needs something to cheer about.  If my home team isn't in the competition then I generally root for the underdogs...the most important thing to me though is just to see a well played game.  I like France too.  I like Zidane(sp?0).  Man that guy has incredible ball control and he is cool headed too.  :smile:

Oh sorry about some of my spelling an' such.  My computer is suddenly actin' all whacky on me and if I hit the 'backspace ' key it will delete my entire post!  :???:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »
:rofl:  :rofl:
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml ... EnoughNews

BERLIN (Reuters) - World Cup pranksters in Berlin injured at least two soccer fans by inviting them to kick soccer balls that they had secretly filled with concrete, authorities said Tuesday

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 01:53:00 AM »
Yeah the world cup is the one sporting event (besides the world series) that I really look forward to. Its funny because I'm always staying with the family over the summer when it's on, and we  have nothing but the rabbit ears on our TV's, so I end up watching most of the games on the spanish channel with those hilarious commentators. It's kind of cool too, that way I can focus more on the game and not make up my mind about a call or a player's skill based on what the commentators say. Yeah I can see why you'd root for Ghana, it's like how I was going for Senegal 4 years ago. I just got upset with them for milking all those calls when they played us haha.

There's no stopping the azzurri now, and I think France will take care of Portugal and then we'll have a hell of an entertaining finale. But then again, I also bet money it would be Germany and Brazil in the end. Oh well. At least I still have my fantasy baseball pools.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 06:35:00 AM »
On 2006-07-04 13:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

" :rofl:  :rofl:

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml ... EnoughNews

BERLIN (Reuters) - World Cup pranksters in Berlin injured at least two soccer fans by inviting them to kick soccer balls that they had secretly filled with concrete, authorities said Tuesday

"

:lol: Oh man!!

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
Well, today is the final match of the tournament.  Seems like it all went by too fast.  I'll be rootin' for France today but mostly I just hope to see a long hard fought battle.  I would like it to go to double overtime, tied up 2-2 and then see Zidane rip the net in the last 3 minutes of the 2nd overtime period.  I don't want it to be decided by penalty kicks.  In fact I think they should get rid of the P.K. round as a way to decide the winner.  I think that they should just keep lettin' 'em play, as many overtimes as it takes, or at least they should let it go to quadruple overtime before the p.k.s start.  Eventually someone would score.  I know that the players would all be exhausted by the time they had run for that long. 150 minutes, but maybe they could allow one or 2 additional substitutions. I think that'd be real cool.  just let 'em play...

Anyway, what a great tournament and what a beautiful game.  We'll get 'em next time!!!   ::trophy::  ::armed::  ::dove::

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »
'Sup dniceo.  Where you at ??  Gettin' ready to watch the final somewhere no doubt.  I know you like Italy.  They're good, real good actually.  Maybe they'll win.  Either one of these teams could beat the other on a given day.  Heres to good times brother!   ::hatter::

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
End of regulation... :em: