Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

FFT

<< < (2/2)

Anonymous:
Wow, I'll try to explain.  The families that I worked with were through Dept. of Juvenile Services (DJS). I would go to their house and I made it a personal point not to do a family session until all family members are there.  I would greet them and have them fill out some initial FFT paperwork, release of info. etc...Depending on the family my main focus was to decrease blame at all cost, while building an organizing theme of how this family interacts.  Essentially the organizing theme is a story of the family interacts by reframing the blame and changing the perception of the family.  While this is going on I would privately be assessing the hierarchy and this would be shown on the after session paperwork as one-up, one-down or even.  The relational connectedness is also assessed by asking questions around conflicts they would have and what they would do after.  Here is the tricky piece.  One can be connected but not spend anytime with that person after the conflict while a family member could not be connected but be around the person.  In FFT we do not try to change the relational connectedness or hiearchy. Each session is building on top of the other one by funneling down the organizing theme to a.....very tight story of the family interacts while still reducing blame.  Reducing is always a part of the FFT model in the three stages.  Engagement and Motivation is also to increase hope and build an alliance with the family members evenly.  It has been shown in research that if one family does not attend then the family will eventually drop out.  Building an even alliance with family members reduces this possibility but you have to be very careful of the hierarchy.  Offend the top dog, whoever that is, and that could be the end of your sessions.  FFT therapists try to take a one-down position to family members.  Hope this helps.  I am tired now.

Anonymous:
Wow, I'll try to explain.  The families that I worked with were through Dept. of Juvenile Services (DJS). I would go to their house and I made it a personal point not to do a family session until all family members are there.  I would greet them and have them fill out some initial FFT paperwork, release of info. etc...Depending on the family my main focus was to decrease blame at all cost, while building an organizing theme of how this family interacts.  Essentially the organizing theme is a story of the family interacts by reframing the blame and changing the perception of the family.  While this is going on I would privately be assessing the hierarchy and this would be shown on the after session paperwork as one-up, one-down or even.  The relational connectedness is also assessed by asking questions around conflicts they would have and what they would do after.  Here is the tricky piece.  One can be connected but not spend anytime with that person after the conflict while a family member could not be connected but be around the person.  In FFT we do not try to change the relational connectedness or hiearchy. Each session is building on top of the other one by funneling down the organizing theme to a.....very tight story of the how family interacts while still reducing blame.  Reducing is always a part of the FFT model in the three stages.  Engagement and Motivation is also to increase hope and build an alliance with the family members evenly.  It has been shown in research that if one family member does not attend then the family will eventually drop out.  Building an even alliance with family members reduces this possibility but you have to be very careful of the hierarchy.  Offend

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version