Author Topic: FFT  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
FFT
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
Here's a really good, easy to understand "nuts and bolts" explanation of the three phases of an FFT intervention.

http://www.fftinc.com/model.php

Any questions, just ask.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FFT
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
Layman's terms, DJ. That site is damn confusing and just TELLS what they're supposed to do, it doesn't show how they actually go about it.

What are some of the therapeutics used in it? What does an average session consist of?

Just what makes FTT more special than ordinary therapy?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
FFT
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »
Individual therapists and individual clients obviously respond in different ways to different methods, so I think the importance of this model lies in its philosophy.  Here's a breakdown of the phases and the goals of each phase.  Again, each therapist would approach the achievement of these goals differently depending on individual preferences and the relative ability of each client to participate meaningfully.

Phase 1: Engagement and Motivation. During these initial phases, FFT applies reattribution (e.g., reframing) and related techniques to impact maladaptive perceptions, beliefs, and emotions. This produces increasing hope and expectation of change, decreasing resistance, increasing alliance and trust, reducing the oppressive negativity within family and between family and community, and increasing respect for individual differences and values.

Phase 2: Behavior Change. This phase applies individualized and developmentally appropriate techniques such as communication training, specific tasks and technical aids, basic parenting skills, and contracting and response-cost techniques.

Phase 3: Generalization. In this phase, Family Case Management is guided by individualized family functional needs, their interaction with environmental constraints and resources, and the alliance with the therapist.

Each of these phases involves both assessment and intervention components. Family assessment focuses on characteristics of the individual family members, family relational dynamics, and the multisystemic context in which the family operates. The family relational system is described in regard to interpersonal functions and their impact on promoting and maintaining problem behavior. Intervention is directed at accomplishing the goals of the relevant treatment phase. For example, in the engagement and motivation phase, assessment is focused on determining the degree to which the family or its members are negative and blaming. The corresponding intervention would target the reduction of negativity and blaming. In behavior change, assessment would focus on targeting the skills necessary for more adaptive family functioning. Intervention would be aimed at helping the family develop those skills in a way that matched their relational patterns. In generalization, the assessment focuses on the degree to which the family can apply the new behavior in broader contexts. Interventions would focus on helping generalize the family behavior change into such contexts.

Evidence of Program Effectiveness

To date, thirteen studies in referenced journals (plus one in preparation) demonstrate dramatic and significant positive treatment effects, including follow-up periods of up to five years. Rates of offending and foster care or institutional placement have been reduced at least 25 percent and as much as 60 percent in comparison to the randomly assigned or matched alternative treatments, or base rates. One study also demonstrated a positive three year follow-up effect on siblings. Additional formal program reports (e.g., county and federal funded projects) from completed and ongoing replications reflect similar positive outcomes, and five currently funded trials (National Institute of Drug Abuse, National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Government of Sweden) promise additional data regarding generalization of effects for FFT across more contexts and populations. Studies have also identified specific FFT based interventions and direct changes in family functioning which relate to the outcome findings.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
FFT
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
It's a really practical approach.  I've seen it work and works a hell of a lot better than some BM program and LGAT's.  You can actually see and measure the progress, which should be true of any therapy model - research proven effective and measurable.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FFT
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 06:08:00 AM »
Just got on this website and saw the discussion about FFT.  I worked for the Maryland Health Dept. practicing FFT. The training is fairly intensive. I had to fly out to Indiana University and studied under James Alexander for 2 weeks.  When I came back , there must be a team of FFT practitioners to function correctly.  This to provide accountability in the organizing theme, relational functioning, and hierarchy.  We also had a website where you had to log on and document the clients prespective in addition to yours.  These were called YOQ-P, YOQ-A and such.  If there are any questions, please post and I will return to answer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FFT
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
Wow, I'll try to explain.  The families that I worked with were through Dept. of Juvenile Services (DJS). I would go to their house and I made it a personal point not to do a family session until all family members are there.  I would greet them and have them fill out some initial FFT paperwork, release of info. etc...Depending on the family my main focus was to decrease blame at all cost, while building an organizing theme of how this family interacts.  Essentially the organizing theme is a story of the family interacts by reframing the blame and changing the perception of the family.  While this is going on I would privately be assessing the hierarchy and this would be shown on the after session paperwork as one-up, one-down or even.  The relational connectedness is also assessed by asking questions around conflicts they would have and what they would do after.  Here is the tricky piece.  One can be connected but not spend anytime with that person after the conflict while a family member could not be connected but be around the person.  In FFT we do not try to change the relational connectedness or hiearchy. Each session is building on top of the other one by funneling down the organizing theme to a.....very tight story of the family interacts while still reducing blame.  Reducing is always a part of the FFT model in the three stages.  Engagement and Motivation is also to increase hope and build an alliance with the family members evenly.  It has been shown in research that if one family does not attend then the family will eventually drop out.  Building an even alliance with family members reduces this possibility but you have to be very careful of the hierarchy.  Offend the top dog, whoever that is, and that could be the end of your sessions.  FFT therapists try to take a one-down position to family members.  Hope this helps.  I am tired now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FFT
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
Wow, I'll try to explain.  The families that I worked with were through Dept. of Juvenile Services (DJS). I would go to their house and I made it a personal point not to do a family session until all family members are there.  I would greet them and have them fill out some initial FFT paperwork, release of info. etc...Depending on the family my main focus was to decrease blame at all cost, while building an organizing theme of how this family interacts.  Essentially the organizing theme is a story of the family interacts by reframing the blame and changing the perception of the family.  While this is going on I would privately be assessing the hierarchy and this would be shown on the after session paperwork as one-up, one-down or even.  The relational connectedness is also assessed by asking questions around conflicts they would have and what they would do after.  Here is the tricky piece.  One can be connected but not spend anytime with that person after the conflict while a family member could not be connected but be around the person.  In FFT we do not try to change the relational connectedness or hiearchy. Each session is building on top of the other one by funneling down the organizing theme to a.....very tight story of the how family interacts while still reducing blame.  Reducing is always a part of the FFT model in the three stages.  Engagement and Motivation is also to increase hope and build an alliance with the family members evenly.  It has been shown in research that if one family member does not attend then the family will eventually drop out.  Building an even alliance with family members reduces this possibility but you have to be very careful of the hierarchy.  Offend