Author Topic: SEVEN MONTHS POST REDCLIFF ASCENT  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Notafriendofredcliff

• View Profile
SEVEN MONTHS POST REDCLIFF ASCENT
« on: May 28, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »
I thought I'd pop in to give an update on my stepson.  He finished his 80-day sentence at Redcliff over 7 months ago.  Nobody from Redcliff has called, written or otherwise contacted us since his release.  

We are enduring his rage episodes every 8 - 10 weeks on average, and they last from two to five days each time.  The time between episodes is good.  He's almost the person he was before he got sent to Redcliff.  We get along well, and he behaves at school but he's having difficulty keeping up.  He's had a challenging workload due to missing 8 weeks of school while he was at Redcliff.  

He only talks about Redcliff when he's in a rage, and his memories are not fond ones.  Even though we didn't send him there, and did everything possible to get him out, he is still angry with us.  Once in a while, he has the opportunity to direct his rage at his mother and that offers him some relief for a while.  She still affects his life negatively, and continues to do hurtful things to him, which make his healing more challenging.  Just sending him into isolation for 80 days wasn't enough for her.

When my stepson was in Redcliff, they charged $425 per day for the first 60 days.  Now they charge $440.  Before they charged $160 for every day beyond 60.  Now that is $220 per day.  That's quite an increase in 7 months!  I hope the increase is due to reduced "enrollment".  Maybe the cost of dried oats and lentils has gone up.  Maybe the Redcliff owners all bought houses they can't afford.  I'm sure there's some reason for the increase.  I'm just excited to know that parents will have to dig a little deeper in their pockets before turning their children over to these people to be "fixed".  Maybe that will save a few kids.

I remain

Notafriendofredcliff
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the update. If his 'rages' are every 8 to 10 weeks, this could just be the moodiness of adolescence. He is lucky to have you and his Dad stick by him. That is what parenting takes sometimes.

Just make sure he understands his wilderness experience isn't an excuse for bad behavior. We have all gone through difficult times in our lives.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
What sort of rage is this?

Moodiness of youth is one thing, but full on out of your head rage is another.

Kids have a process of development for learning to control their feelings like everything else they do, but the systematic build up of his rage and release almost on a timed schedule seems troublesome.

Again it all depends what sort of activity is transpiring during the rage, and if the time between episodes has increased rather than decreased. If the episodes amount to some shouting, cursing, and a few slammed doors I would not be overly concerned. On the otherhand anything more than that including self-harm, physical assualt, and property damage I would be greatly concerned.

Uncontrollable anger is something kids can work out given the upsurge in testorene brought on by puberty. It just requires a firm hand, and lots of patience.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
He's raging because nobody protected him from being kidnapped held captive and tortured!!!

Also, if his mom is really making his life hell... tell her to fuck off and see if a psychologist (he IS getting therapy, right?) would recommend cutting off contact with her for his own peace of mind!

I'm glad that you tried to help your son, even if it didn't end up in his release - just remember no matter how hard you tried, he still had to go through it, and its not a personal attack on you. I know I would be very, very pissed off if I got sent to an abusive program/camp/whatever... granted I didnt kill the people who sent me there and the people who hurt me myself once I had a chance to get a weapon, that is.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:59:14 PM »
Perhaps he should go to a bonafide psychologist to talk about some anger management strategies. That is if he will agree to go. i could see how he may feel he has had enough of therapy!
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
The solution is too far away
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 07:40:40 AM »
If he should ever fully recover the only place is here:

http://www.rct.dk/?sc_lang=en

But I am afraid that it is too far away.

You have in previous post mentioned that he was transport there. Did you find out what the name of the firms was?

You have also talked about media. I am updating the wikipedia page on the TV-series "Brat Camp" and want to have links about abuse at those places. I am trying to get the page "NPOV" (Neutral Point of View) but it is just as difficult to describe Redcliff positive as it is to describe a KZ-camp.

If you have some links please mail me at the address:
mail carstenovergaard.dk