Author Topic: the 72 hour law  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Elle

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« on: August 02, 2001, 02:31:24 AM »
the 72 hour law
In ALberta there is a fairly new law called the 72 hour law. British Columbia has fiddled around with it, but I'm not positive if they are using it now.

The law allows any youth (I beleive they are using under 19) to be taken and improsned anywhere for 72 hours, and then they are given the right to leave. AARC has gained many youth this way and *surprise* none of them have left! This is supposed to be a sign that they like it there. lol.

The funny thing is that the attourney generals office wanted to meet with youth to vote on the law. I was invited, and due to a mix up and lack of caring to orginizing properly, I was the only youth. I was absolutley against it, and any treatment center taking away the rights of yoputh who are already suffering. They printed a small book about the study saying how I approved of it, it works, and the law should go through. Hmmmm.

On top of the risk of kids being sent to harmful treatment centers, there is the risk of youth who do not be in any facility, and who will then loose any trust in the system from then on. Also, for those who are heavily addicted or working for pimps, they will be sent out onto the streets in the worst part of their withdrawls, and they will probably be punished for their dissapearance. I'm absolutely sick right now with the way our government is working. I am not the only yoputh who has spoken against the 72 hour law, before and after. The majority was obviously against it, but 5 people on a pannel wanted it to go their own way.

Elle.

Elle.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline gr8ful2aarc

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM »
72 Hour law a.k.a P-CHIP
The 72 hour law is to take child prostitutes off the streets to get them away from their pimps.This has nothing to do with AARC or any other treatment center.AARC has not received any one through this but thanks for coming out.

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2001, 04:23:09 PM »
72 Hour law a.k.a chump
I bet your "gr8ful2aarc", they probably fill your pockets daily. Could you be another "Dr." Vause alias, or just a recruited "fan"?, in either case, I have a question regarding the  quotation:

"The 72 hour law is to take child prostitutes off the streets to get them away from their pimps.This has nothing to do with AARC or any other treatment center.AARC has not received any one through this but thanks for coming out."

Who sponsored this bill? I want everybody's name that was involved with this bill, don't leave out a sole either, because we will find what you leave out......

Anybody out there know who all was behind it?

Offline gr8ful2aarc

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2001, 04:38:18 PM »
72 hour law
First off lets stop with the stupid threats.I did not write the law nor do I enforce it. An MLA by the name of Heather Forsyth was the one who iniatiated it.My question to you is why are you against taking 13 year old girls off the street? Where do you think they should go? Maybe you can help let them die in the gutter.

No I am not Dr.Vause and I would like to know why you are so bitter to me.I don't know you.

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2001, 04:56:15 PM »
"My question to you is why are you against taking 13 year old girls off the street? Where do you think they should go? Maybe you can help let them die in the gutter."

Nice try, real nice try.......

I'm against AARC getting bloodstained hands on any young person period, they are nothing but mind rapists and some day I hope there is an international law prohibiting place like Straight and AARC from "treating" youth anymore.

"No I am not Dr.Vause and I would like to know why you are so bitter to me.I don't know you."

Don't matter to me who you are, WHAT you are tying to advocate embitters me, because its plain child abuse, turning a mind to mush is just plain sick.

I work off the pain in my heart by going after you sick people. If you are truly a victim of one of these sick places, then forgive me, you really don't know what you are doing..

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
the 72 hour law
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2001, 06:55:27 PM »
Threats? What threats?
No one's made any threats to you. Ken stated that we'll be looking into this new law, it's sponsors, backers and, most importantly, it's financiers. You see, we have similar laws here in the US and on the state levels in several states. They go under the title "The Marchman Act" and "The Baker Act" I know of several families who've fought long and hard to get their kids out of one of your 'sister' programs (check the TOUGHLOVE referal brochures, their words, not mine) But the Program lawyers keep invoking the Marchman act. And, as it turns out, the primary authors, sponsors and lobbyists behind this and other coercive-gulag-friendly legislation were, indeed, Program parent group cult members. Big surprise, eh?

My question to you is this. If a 13 year old girl is in a bad situation, whether it be at the hands of a manipulative, abusive pimp, a passive aggressive mind f***ing parent or of a manipulative, abusive cult, why would you want to prevent her from getting away and possibly finding a better situation? And where do you see a need to invoke force of law against a helpless 13 year old little girl? Go pick on someone your own size for a change!

"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2001, 03:23:20 PM »
72hr law
   You are one brainwashed individual and you remind me of some rabid group member I cursed out years ago. You and your one instance of possible and I really mean possible help of one 13yr old is a pathetic attempt to make your case. The reason I think you fell short of really articulating your point is because you did not have your mind control rehab spoon feeding you your thoughts and arguments. How would you like it if there was a 72hr law that allowed us to attempt to deprogram you from your rehab coma and try to make you form a coherent opinion of your own. If you love your rehab and it gave you a life,an opinion,and a personality so be it, but myself and lots of others already know who they are and what they want to say and do not need to be programmed. If you are soooo grateful and love your life why are you reading and commenting on our opinions and thoughts? Get a life !! Your own life !!! Go to a meeting or something. Please!

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline gr8ful2aarc

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM »
72 hour law
Anyone who has an opinion that doesn't agree with yours is brain washed ? Good dense I guess. I know how great my life is today and I am not programmed or brain raped.My opinon is different that yours and you think that makes you right? You don't know everything about me or AARC or what may or may not work for someone. I am going to keep expressing my voice just like all of you.

As for the 72 hour law I wish someone would of pulled me off the streets when I was a 12 year old prostitute.Any where is better than having to sleep with old men to get my drugs. I am in favor of this law but don't attack me I didn't write it or enforce it.I wanted to clear up any miscoceptions.

Offline MyKarma8UrDogma

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2001, 04:45:11 AM »
fish in the water
"You are like fish in the water who don't know that they are wet"

Ani Difranco

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2001, 06:45:30 PM »
Brainwashing
You ask "Anyone who has an opinion that doesn't agree with yours is brain washed ?"

For the benefit of those who enjoy the art of debate, our new friend here has employed what is known as a the 'post hoc' fallacy.

1. A occurs before B.

2. Therefore A is the cause of B.

Yes, a lot of us seem to view our common experience radically different than you do. And a lot of us have come to the conclusion that you're quite brainwashed.

But, personally, I don't think that everyone who disagrees with me about anything is brainwashed. Just people who come along spewing the same nonsensical pablum, learned from the very same wackos where I started hearing it 30 years ago and half a continent away.

And please don't take offence. I used to be brainwashed too. My dad, who was probably my biggest hero, was also brainwashed for a time. In fact, I've become friends with people in these forums who were still quite brainwashed when I met them. It does wear off if you let it.

Here's a word to the wise; because I truely care. Before you go posting as fact all over the net that you were a teenaged crack whore, if I were you I'd go and look up some friends, teachers and others who are not associated with the cult and who knew you when. You might find that your memory of events is a tad off from the recollections of others who were there. Maybe not, but most of the time those 'druggiepast' confessions are grossly exagerated or made up out of whole cloth.

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2001, 05:19:00 AM »
Why would you need that law anyways
It is already perfectly legal for parents or guardians to take their kids just about anywhere. Parents already have the authority they need, just a lot of them lack the will. Institutionalizing childhood (aka attempting to legislate a naturally occuring development period that is different for everyone) is just foolish. What they reallly need to do is make a law that lets kids leave abusive situations like the TeenHelp concentration camps and the hordes of unfit parents who parade their problems onto Ricky Lake and then expect to get respect from their kids.  

You only need to look at a newspaper or a tv "news" program to see how much American adult society hates and fears children. It is evident in our schools, our shopping malls, and especially in our politics and media.

Schools are becoming more and more like prisons on a daily basis. People used to think more computers, new books, bigger libraries, and more teachers when it came to school budget increases, now they want more guards, more cameras, more rules, and more drug testing.  

At least this war on terrorism has taken the heat off of teenagers a bit at least in the political realm. This is the first time in a long time, that I have not had to listen to the constant rantings over how bad kids are today.

As for those 12 year old crack whores, I think they were a drug war induced hallucination -just like Johnny, the 8th grade, heroin addicted, gang land drive-by-shooter, superpredator, who can't read or write . ( see "Why Johnny Can't Read" and other fairy tales)

All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Elle

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2001, 05:38:24 AM »
lock up
It's so that police can take kids anywhere too. If a parent calls the police and says take my kid away, even if there's no legitimate reason they can lock them up somewhere for 72 hours.

Elle.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
the 72 hour law
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2001, 04:21:22 PM »
72 Hour Law - Implimentation
In 1980 or `81, I had a completely different experience with a very similar kind of law. I'd landed up in Youngstown, Ohio. Someone who'd given me a ride had talked me into going to a timeout house to try and get some help getting established somewhere instead of just wandering aimlessly as I had been.

At the time, Ohio had a 48 hour law, but it was enforced a little differently. A runaway kid could stay any place they were welcome for up to 48 hours before any adult in charge had to rat them out. A lot of the kids in this timeout house made a lifestyle of just packing up their kits and moving from one house to another every other night.

The counselors there gave me a short interview, determined that I probably wasn't dangerous, invited me to stay and get some sleep and good food and asked that I volunteer for something on the chore list. They also let me call long distance to talk to my sister. The doors were not locked, there was no kind of coercion at all. I didn't care much for sharing sleeping quarters with half a dozen strangers. But that was the worst of it.

Also, I'd like to add that in all the time I spent hitchhiking around the country, mostly with interstate truck drivers, probably 4 or 5 months alltogether, not once did any pimp try to get control of me. Oh sure, I got the put out or get out ultimatum a few times. And it really did suck having to get out and walk in the freezing rain. But that was about the worst of that.

That's why I really don't give much credence to all these wild stories about 13 year old crack-whores. I know they exist, but I don't think the problem is widespread. I spent a good deal of time with habitual runaways and never saw any of that kind of thing. Mostly, they're just kids trying to find some fun and a dry place to sleep while they wait out their time till they're allowed to walk around free and hold jobs and apartments like real live humans.

Anyone who really wants to help runaway kids need only secure a commisary license and a building suitable for a rooming house. Lots of churches and private philanthropy organizations support youth hostiles like this. In the old days, they weren't even all that stigmatic, as teenaged kids and young adults used to go traveling 'just because', not as runaways.

Now, I haven't seen how this 72 hour law written. But if it's already on the books and if it's anything like some of the laws here, maybe the best strategy is to promote proper, beneficial implimentation while exposing and dunning AARC-style abuses?

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://fornits.com/anonanon/'>Anonymigy Anonymous