Author Topic: Bromley Brook  (Read 27682 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »
Has anyone been to Bromley Brook?  I would like some information.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »
My daughter is currently at Bromley Brook.  I have mixed feelings about it.  Do you have any specific concerns/questions?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
I am not the same poster as before but I do. Is the academic programme good?  Is there any censorship of the contact between parents and children?
What are your concerns? What kind of behavoiural management programmes do they have? I would love to hear from you as It all looked pretty good on the website & I am thinking of it an an option for my daughter. If you have some concerns or helpful advice I would love to hear from you   :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
The website is a marketing tool and is impressive, but it's more fluff than substance and the reality of the school is different from the image promoted by the website.  That said, I feel like it was the best alternative for my daughter - it looked and felt like the most traditional of the therapeutic boarding schools we visited and considered.  

The academic program seems okay.  Her grades have improved.  That's likely due to the small class size coupled with the structured environment rather than the quality of the teachers.  The credits may not be accepted in your state since it's a newer school and does not yet have accredidation from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.  That is an important consideration depending on how you intend to get your daughter through high school.  That issue was not mentioned by the school during our interview or enrollment process.  

The behavior modification/management program is a combination of individualized therapy and group sessions.  The jury is still out on whether it's had a positive and lasting impact.    

Telephone calls are limited to one per week initially and then  two per week, but can be revoked by the school for bad behavior.  Mail is unlimited (subject to parent's approval of who she can write to and receive mail from).  There is no e-mail communication.  

The reservations/concerns I have about the school are the lack of active disclosure concerning the accreditation issue, the limited telephone calls, the sense that sometimes the school makes decisions/recommendations that are motivated by business considerations instead of what may be in the girls' best interest, a relatively high turn over rate of staff and students, exposure to girls that have done bad/negative things my daughter has never experienced,  and the general efficacy of the therapeutic boarding school approach.  

In short, I'm ambivalent about the place but frankly don't feel that my options are much better.

You should visit the school w/o your child b/f making a decision, talk w/ other parents, etc.  

I'm not sure I'd  do it all over again.  Things were out of control at home and it did solve some of our immediate problems, it got her in a safe place where she couldn't get into trouble, it forced her to focus on academics, etc.  Keeping her there is a difficult decision that we struggle with almost everyday.  I doubt she'll finish the entire year (like most of these places, you sign a year long contract).

It definately is not a silver bullet that is going to solve all of your daughter's problems and the program is "over sold."  

The majority of girls in the school have come from "wilderness" programs (no doubt also affiliated w/ Aspen).  A lot of them claim to have used drugs, engaged in promiscuity, engaged in lesbianism, some have a history of cutting themselves, etc.  B/c of these myriad of experiences and the structure of the school, it has an institutional feel about it.  I view that as a big negative.  

I hope my feedback is of some value to you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »
You know, and yet you leave her there.

Lemme know when she gets raped, 'k?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 12:16:00 AM »
Why would you post something as ugly as that?  How about some constructive/useful information.  Do you have personal experience/first hand knowledge about Bromley or similar schools?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 02:24:00 AM »
Because posting something remotely constructive in response to that crap is the equivalent of showing her respect, which as a program parent, she does not deserve.

She has serious misgivings, yet she still leaves her daughter there.

Mail is not unlimited, lady. They read it.

They're listening to her phone calls, too.

Get her the hell out, then come back here to talk to us.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »
I hate the idea of most programmes on principal. But is it really necessary to be so damn judgemental and rude to parents who legitimately post here!!! You do not know anything about the woman whose daughter is there or what goes on in their home! Since when does anyone persuade anyone of anythingby abusing them anyway?
To the lady who posted. I would fall into the camp that says find a better solution than TBS of any kind. I realise you may feel at the end of your rope but think about the fact tyhat it is this mindset that they market to in order to earn a buck. Do you have family or community support? are you able to talk through the better options with your daughter? Is a school which penalises kids for transgessions by limiting family contact the answer?  Is there somewhere similar close to home?  You said you dont think it is a great option so take your time to consider these questions. Reach out to your local community for help
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »
On 2006-06-15 23:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Because posting something remotely constructive in response to that crap is the equivalent of showing her respect, which as a program parent, she does not deserve.

She has serious misgivings, yet she still leaves her daughter there.

Mail is not unlimited, lady. They read it.

They're listening to her phone calls, too.

Get her the hell out, then come back here to talk to us."

We really don't care what you have to say.  You're neither a parent or a "survivor"- that is obvious or you wouldn't have made the tasteless rape comment.  You like so many others on this forum are a loser and an ass- a very boring combination.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
And you're a mindless programmie, which is why you put survivor in quotes.

Kill yourself.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
Did you look into Bromley Brook? If so, what were your impressions? We are also considering it for our daughter but we definitely wouldn't do it without talking to parents and students.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »
I recommend reading the rest of this forum for information about Aspen, while you're waiting.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 12:11:00 AM »
Don't send your daughter to Bromley Brook.  I pulled mine out.  The place is a fraud.  It didn't do my daughter any good.  In fact, it created new problems and didn't fix any of the old ones.  Look at yourself as parents and see what you can do to help your daughter.  The most important thing you can do for her is to be available.  That isn't  possible if she's in any type of boarding school.  I feel foolish for having sent her there in the first place and for leaving her there as long as I did.  Don't make the same mistake I did.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 12:19:00 AM »
I'm glad you brought your daughter home. Good for you and her!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bromley Brook
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »
Have any parents recently removed their daughters from Bromley Brook who could provide any updated information on this facility?