Author Topic: The inevitable death of Art Barker  (Read 29641 times)

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
The inevitable death of Art Barker
« on: May 08, 2006, 03:36:00 AM »
Just like the rest of us, Art Barker is going to die.  It might be from old age or disease - but death is as inevitable for him as it is for the rest of us.

So, that being said...imagine that you have been asked to give a eulogy for him.  Put it up  here.  

Or, if a tribute is not your cup of tea, what parting words do you have for the man?  

Here's what I have to say.

Old man, I forgive you.  I forgive you for for being blind, arrogant, stupid, and cruel.

The society you sought to create through The Seed program was doomed to fail from the outset.  It was doomed because it sought to crush the human spirit and replace it with your warped teachings.

I have no need to recount your acts of arrogance, stupidity and cruelty. History has recoreded them here and those acts are written on your soul. Forever.    

Fade to black.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:12:00 AM »
Does anyone know the current health of Art?

Last I heard he was rather sickly.  Any updates?

As for a eulogy, I don't know what I would say.  I certainly do forgive him, but I am not sure it needs to be said now.  I think he really believed he was the savior of american youth, and he didn't realize he was actually hurting many of the kids he was "saving".  His vision failed, and I think deep down he knows the truth.  That is enough for me.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
When, in time, good old Art passes I'll honor his memory with a few good friends by pouring a pint of the finest British Royal Navy rhum upon his grave, only after first running it through our own gullets to assure quality.

sunday school: A prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.
--H. L. Mencken, American publisher

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
You always were one to have Class.

Now I'm sure of it.

God Bless you.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »
May I sugest a tatoo & possibly a piercing, that also would be right up your ally.  

Speaking of ally's. :lol:

Offline FueLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
Sorry but I thought the same thing Ginger did before even reading her post. I will piss on that bastards grave someday. It is only a matter of when. That pile of shit can go straight to hell!

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
Our time on this earth is short, so I ask that we all think well of one another...
ally Gator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Do you people piss on many graves? Maybe its the part of the county you come from.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
Lauderdale, where is your sense of humor?  Ginger's joke was not only funny, it was set up perfectly!

:lol:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
On 2006-05-08 10:17:00, FueLaw wrote:

"Sorry but I thought the same thing Ginger did before even reading her post. I will piss on that bastards grave someday. It is only a matter of when. That pile of shit can go straight to hell!"

you know my friend, I thought that at one time in the not to distant past as well.  I in no way condone what he did, believe in his methods, or appreciate the way my life  and the life of others was torn asunder by our affiliations with the seed.

But Art is a fallable human being just like the rest of us.   He screwed up, and screwed up big time, and in the end it all caved in around him.

In the process  He did convince himself of the rightousness of what he was doing. Maybe he is still deluding himself to this day..doesn't really matter to me anymore.  Somehow I have truly found a personal avenue to forgive him for what he did, and his acceptance or acknowledgment of that isn't even important to me.

What is important to me today is that those that went thru treatment have an avenue of understanding just what the fuck happened to them, and that somehow people understand that this entire treatment modality as practiced today is ineffective, harmfull, and downright counterproductive.

Art going to Hell?  I hope not because even tho I have forgiven him, I don't really covet his company in eternity.

:grin:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
On 2006-05-08 13:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Do you people piss on many graves? Maybe its the part of the county you come from.  

"

I'm from Ft. Lauderdale. You?

People say that, but I think it's the other way around. Life is too damned long to suffer fools. I'll think well of those who impress me, thanks very much.

Religion is just mind control.
--George Carlin, comedian

`80 - `82
return undef() if /coercion/i;[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-05-08 15:15 ]
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »
No actually Stripe set it up & no I don't think it was funny & yes I do have a sence of humor.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
I'm going to take the long view and say that the Seed was an inevitable reaction to the counterculture of the '60s - if it hadn't been Art, it would have been someone else. And even without Synanon, AA provided a quasi-religious framework that can be used, and perhaps abused, by anyone who wants to set up their own AA-style group. I understand that AA is against this, and is supposed to be non-political, and non-personality, but look at the worship of founder Bob W. Anyway, someone somewhere would have tried to save kids from drugs, and althought the Seed had issues and may have been fundamentally wrong (as proven by the abuses in later copy-cat programs) I tnink Art genuinely cared and thought he was doing the right thing. Sure, ego and control played into the Seed's strength and weaknesses, and we can argue all day over whether individual people were helped or harmed, (and I think both things occured) but whatever your view is, we were a part of a big social phenomena that is still ongoing today. Personal animosity towards Art is going to happen, but from what I've read on other forums, the Seed was a comparitive piece of cake. Not to minimize anyone's problems with the Seed, but we, as a society, bought into this, or at least our parents did, and until we have some sanity about drugs, (and sex and rock and roll - er, rap) will be in this pickle for a while. I have a one year old now and do I want her deeply involved in drug culture? No. Do I want her to be a rigid, religious fanatic anti-counterculture crusader? No. I want a balanced, thoughtful, open person who enjoys her life and has a sense of humor. I hope she has good friends and family. So - I digress, but that's what we were all looking for thru the Seed - security and belonging and hope.
ally Gator

Offline Johnny G

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
Well said Cleveland

G

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
I agree well said....I think about Ginger...she had more invested.  I feel like I did my time and moved on with my life.  Art was a survivor.  He invested his intrests with the kids who came from money.  The people that became staff were kids that came from a lot of green... cookie, terry & suzie come to the top of my head. I am still interested in the Plain Dealer article about Cookie's inheritence going to the seed. Of course I haven't been doing any research since I posted that first question to this site...what happened to cookie and her inheritence....cuz that was a main brainwashing rap... when I grow I am going to be a lawyer and put kids in the seed and give all my money to the seed. The f----ing seed city.  I was like please you people are out to total lunch... I want a life...and I got one.  So Art YOU HAVE YOUR F____ING KARMA YOU DIE BITCH FOR ALL THE PEOPLE YOU F---- UP BUT YA DIDN'T GET ME. I have done this life too many times and your comming back and doing earth school again and somebody is gonna teach that ego right.....LOVE&PEACE  Karen K

hmmmmm Did that sound a little harsh???Please respond