Author Topic: Laughable...  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laughable...
« on: March 16, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »
Re: West Ridge Academy, f/k/a Utah Boys Ranch

1. Success Story (listed on website)

"15 and self-destructing"

"Three years ago my husband and I stood by helplessly and watched as our 15-year-old son began to self destruct. Defiant, failing school, self-indulgent, an attitude of entitlement, easily enraged, disrespectful, anger and rage, destruction of property; all are words I used in my journal to describe my son's behavior. I began to worry about the safety of my little daughter and me when we were left alone with our son. My husband and I began to feel like failures as parents.

"Appearances would suggest that we were a highly functioning and very traditional family. We are highly educated and motivated. We are very active in our religious faith, and consider our moral values to be very high. I was a full-time mother, and was very active in the lives of our children. But within the walls of our home, turmoil took its ugly toll.

"Our first clue that trouble had begun was during a routine check-up with the Pediatrician before our son began preschool. The doctor asked, "Is he normally this active?" After struggling through three preschools and difficulty even in Kindergarten, our son was diagnosed with severe ADHD and put on medication. We went through several years of individual and family therapy, but nothing seemed to help.

"The behavior escalated until it became abusive to everyone in our family. We needed help, but didn't know where to turn. Residential treatment was suggested, but there were several criteria it needed to meet. We wanted a safe environment for our son that would provide a home-like atmosphere. We sought for a program that taught values and principles similar to our beliefs, and one that would provide training for us as a family so we could continue on the road to health and recovery when our son eventually returned home.

"West Ridge Academy was the perfect answer to our needs. The day we toured the facility, we felt a special spirit and there was a definite sense of peace and safety. The Clinicians were highly trained and very capable. The boy's homes were clean and organized. The home parents were dedicated, friendly and supportive as we watched them interact with the boys.

"Once we placed our son there, we met regularly with our son's clinician, and were counseled in new ways to function and help our son use his new skills learned from their inspired program designed to help the boys change from within. This inner change helps the change remain permanent, and gives new hope to both the boys and their families. West Ridge Academy gave us our son back. Our son was fostered in a Christian environment that gave him a strong foundation for a successful new life. They didn't create a new person, they helped our son search deep within his soul and find who he really is."
-Debi and Kirk Gilmore

2. Found while doing a Google search on links to West Ridge Academy

"We are still in awe as we reflect on the miraculous event featuring Richard O'Keef as our auctioneer. His awesome talent and ability to inspire an audience was the key ingredient we needed to far exceed our goal for our fund raiser. Every individual in attendance was caught up in the momentum of his perfect pace. His humor and excellent timing permeated the room, creating an atmosphere of memories and excitement people are still talking about. Where we once feared the thought of pursuing an auction to support our cause, we now find great joy and amazing success because of Richard's audience appeal. Richard O'Keef is the best of the best!!"
-Debi Gilmore
Member of the West Ridge Academy Board of Trustees (Formerly Utah Boy's Ranch)
President of the West Ridge Academy Guild

I wonder if she just loved the place so much that she decided to stay involved after her son graduated.  Wonder where he is now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Laughable...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
What is this 'formerly'. This 2003 Report of the Accrediting Visit says that WRA is the educational component of the Utah Boys Ranch.
??
Shows her a a Board Member of the Ranch.

http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... 501np.html

NATSAP held a regional conference there in 2005
http://www.strugglingteens.com/artman/p ... 5110.shtml

This Nov 2005 article refereces Westridge Academy (formerly UBR)- new director of clinical services, Ken Huey, formerly of Provo Canyon  :scared:
In this article it's one word, their website is West Ridge??

UTAH BOYS RANCH HAS IRS TROUBLES?
(September 27, 2004) An article on the KSC 1160 News Radio website reported that a complaint was filed with the Internal Revenue Service, alleging the Utah Boys Ranch in West Jordan illegally contributed financial aid in the re-election campaign of State Sen. Chris Buttars.  A request to do a formal investigation of the tax-exempt status of the school was also filed. Buttars, the school's executive director, acknowledged having campaign materials delivered to the school and talking to constituents and campaign supporters on office phones. Fines could range from an immediate levy of taxes to revocation of the school's tax-exempt status. http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?sid=122080&nid=19

A non profit
?no organization that is in business to make money should be allowed to be in the business of serving children at risk.?
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... heard.html
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laughable...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »
Sounds like a pretty darn convenient testimonial for the UBR.  It's in start contrast to this testimonial:

http://www.UtahBoysRanchAbuse.org

If they are so great, then why is there an organization dedicated to stopping the child abuse there?