Author Topic: "Protection" of Children Using Drugs Act  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Protection" of Children Using Drugs Act
« on: April 22, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
Here is somthing I think AARC had a hand in.  $3.5 million dollars worth.

Of course as a motherhood issue it has the support of all the politicians.  Look for updates as the government seeks to keep us safe from ourselves.

The act comes into effect July 1st.

http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/p-27. ... whole.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
I know of two families where their children are living in crack houses. This can get them out. Unfortunately there are very few resources for these families. Way to go Mary Anne Jablonski, the MLA responsible for this Act. I just hope they put more into resources to help these families.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »
It amazes me that people who "know" these things don't properly inform the police!  If the police have reasonable and probable grounds they can get a search warrant.  If social services have reasonable and probable grounds to believe that the children are exposed to the "SUBSTANTIAL RISK" of emotional harm as a result of CHRONIC drug OR ALCOHOL ABUSE IN THE HOME they can get an apprehension order.  

HOWEVER--- this legislation is not aimed at those situations, contrary to what the previous poster  noted.  The existing legislation already addresses that issue (Child,Youth & Family Entrapment Act).
This new legislation however, is aimed at kids who IN FACT are  THEMSELVES abusing drugs.  Of course, this legislation enables guardians who believe their children are addicted or who they think are "out of control" to apply to the court on suspicion for an order confining them.  At the same time, the drafters of the legislation know that you cannot imprison kids indefinitely on suspicion and gives such kids the right to ask for a court review.  Let us hope that hysterical parents who think that all drug use is abuse get stopped in their tracks,  provided that the authorities properly inform such kids of their constitutional rights and legal representation under the Act.  
So, AARC should remember that!  Maybe it isn't going to be so easy for AARC to lock kids up who do not have a real problem since they now MUST be informed of their rights.  In addition, it's going to be harder to have an indefinite detention, even though what AARC has been doing has really been illegal all along anyway.

So, thanks to Mary Anne Jablonsky.  I'll tell her next time I speak with her that this Act will likely assist kids with parent problems more than in the past.

As for kids that live in crack houses you should  report those situations to Children's Services.  They're always willing to jump in on the basis of rumour and innuendo.  But when you do report, you'd better be sure that the drug use is CHRONIC, ABUSE and IN THE HOME.  

It's better to be right than merely righteous.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »
If your kid really has fallen into drug ABUSE (as opposed to experimentation or use) you should be asking why.  As for my kids, both of whom experimented with drugs in their teens, one has a degree in psychology and the other is working on an honours degree.  
I have the distinct impression that parents who want more of this "nanny state" legislation are control freaks who are afraid of being perceived as failing when their kids don't follow the line chosen for them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
Excellent point.  It's made so much worse by all the fear mongering that goes on in support of this ridiculous war on drugs.  If you really look at the raw stats (they're on here somewhere) teen violence, pregnancy, drug use etc. are all actually down but you'd never know it to listen to the media.  Between the 'sensationalism sells' attitude and the doomsdayers, reality and common sense get lost.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
On 2006-04-23 19:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"If your kid really has fallen into drug ABUSE (as opposed to experimentation or use) you should be asking why.  As for my kids, both of whom experimented with drugs in their teens, one has a degree in psychology and the other is working on an honours degree.  

I have the distinct impression that parents who want more of this "nanny state" legislation are control freaks who are afraid of being perceived as failing when their kids don't follow the line chosen for them.  "

I am really happy for you that your kids did not become addicted. I recommend you speak to some parents who have kids that are fully involved with drugs and crime. See how they are doing. Oh yeah, I forgot, blame the parents. It's somehow their fault. they put a gun to their child's head and said use this dangerous, illigal and addictive drug. But say it really is the parent's fault. So what? If the child is addicted to drugs they need help, period. Or maybe they should come live with you since you have expertise on perfect parenting. Like I said, I'm glad you didn't have to go through it, but maybe if you had you would be more empathetic instead of judgemental.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
There are much better facilities through the Calgary Health Authority with PROPERLY qualified people:
http://www.addictioncentre.ca/pages/REF ... escent.pdf

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
On 2006-04-25 17:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"There are much better facilities through the Calgary Health Authority with PROPERLY qualified people:

http://www.addictioncentre.ca/pages/REF ... escent.pdf"

and after they go through the government facilities and relapse and continue to spiral down, where do the go? AARC. Why? Cause it works. Consistently.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »
That's crap, and you know it.
But then, AARC loves to play the politicians , getting 3.5 million back after donating a few thousand to Conservative party coffers. Its soooo corrupt!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »
On 2006-04-25 21:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"That's crap, and you know it.

But then, AARC loves to play the politicians , getting 3.5 million back after donating a few thousand to Conservative party coffers. Its soooo corrupt! "

It is most certainly not crap. The majority of kids who go through AARC have been around the bases with therapists, government agencies and corrections. Parents will always choose these routes before committing to AARC. It is a rare person indeed who walks into AARC without multiple failures with other "resources".

The Alberta PCs support AARC for one reason - it looks good to back a winner. They would not be on board with an organization that makes their own agency look bad if it was not so successful. But acuse away. Those who criticize without anything to back it up expose themselves for what they are.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »
That's right.  it "looks good" to back a winner.  Style over substance every time.  Coerced treatment (including AARC) has no better stats than if people had no treatment at all.  Interesting that the proposed legislation has no requirement that the kids be properly assessed prior to this coerced "treatment."  Hence, some annally retentive parent who thinks their kid has a problem could conceivably have their kid locked up for a problem they may not have.  This is going to backfire, I suspect.  AARC won't profit. And the parents who are told that their kid really doesn't have a problem will once again be able to bemoan how the government has "failed" once again, 'cus they know better.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 06:41:00 PM »
On 2006-04-27 09:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"That's right.  it "looks good" to back a winner.  Style over substance every time.  Coerced treatment (including AARC) has no better stats than if people had no treatment at all.  Interesting that the proposed legislation has no requirement that the kids be properly assessed prior to this coerced "treatment."  Hence, some annally retentive parent who thinks their kid has a problem could conceivably have their kid locked up for a problem they may not have.  This is going to backfire, I suspect.  AARC won't profit. And the parents who are told that their kid really doesn't have a problem will once again be able to bemoan how the government has "failed" once again, 'cus they know better.  "

AARC profit? I got news for you - AARC doesn't need any additional clients. They have a waiting lists for families desperate to get in. They need no additional assistance  getting clients - 14 years of great results speak for them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Latest scoop
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 03:36:41 AM »
Aaaah, wonderful what the media see as success
The latest on CTV is that "8 addicted kids have been apprehended and placed into treatment".

Well, let's see.  How "addicted" are they?

Kid #1:
clean for several months, but not living at home.  In fact, living with her boyfriend under roof of the boyfriend with his parents.  Moreover,  has a job and doing quite well in Edmonton, thank you very much.  
So why was she apprehended?  Because her parents were vindictive, that's why.
Moreover, the system is so screwed up that when it came time for review, the judge would not let her go because her parents were not there to give evidence.  
Is she pissed off, or what?
And do you think her parents can ever be forgiven for their stupidity?

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
Re: Latest scoop
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Aaaah, wonderful what the media see as success
The latest on CTV is that "8 addicted kids have been apprehended and placed into treatment".

Well, let's see.  How "addicted" are they?

Kid #1:
clean for several months, but not living at home.  In fact, living with her boyfriend under roof of the boyfriend with his parents.  Moreover,  has a job and doing quite well in Edmonton, thank you very much.  
So why was she apprehended?  Because her parents were vindictive, that's why.
Moreover, the system is so screwed up that when it came time for review, the judge would not let her go because her parents were not there to give evidence.  
Is she pissed off, or what?
And do you think her parents can ever be forgiven for their stupidity?

Got a link to that?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Got a link to that?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 01:17:54 AM »
Sorry,
You'll find out soon enough when she sues the pants off her parents.