Author Topic: Teen Challenge  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« on: April 20, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
Anyone heard or been there in FL?  Bonifay?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »
teen challenge

Some direct information and some indirect...

Good luck.

-Arnold Schopenhauer

[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-04-21 06:34 ]
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
Once again, im pulled in... I have a friend in a teen challenge... its... a hyper religious orginisation. they are in my opinion heretics.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
Thanks!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
On 2006-04-20 14:56:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Once again, im pulled in... I have a friend in a teen challenge... its... a hyper religious orginisation. they are in my opinion heretics."

Had a friend that spent a year in the one in Tarpon Springs.  Heretic is a good word.  Fraud and theft are good words too.  They make money by doing various jobs, car detailing and similar.  They also receive many donated items, food, clothing, first aid supplies, toiletries etc.  The majority of that goes in the front door and right out the back door into the trunks of employees/counselors cars.

All the same fundamentals of BM centers are there with religious fanatacism thrown into the mix.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »
I once saw a Teen Challenge Volunteer set up in front of a grocery store asking for donations.  He had a card table, some brochures and was wearing some kind of TC logo tee shirt or something like that.  Reminded me of the snakeoil salesmen that used to roll into town demonstrating the powers of their "miracle" cures.
Unfortunately, most grownups support anything that is anti-youth (crime, drugs) and probably donated a few bucks thinking they were contributing to a worthy "cause".

:smokin:

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
Teen Challenge is different from the typical teen program, in that the kids must enter willingly. There is an application process the teen must take part in. As for the religious aspects it is very much a Christian centered program, but the teens know that going in, and must have a statement of faith to be admitted - so its not like they are forcing religion on the kids. This is how they are supposed to operate anyway. I wouldn't be to shocked to hear some chapters break the rules; and not at all surprised to learn there is rampant corruption in the leadership.

I have not heard of a case where anyone wanted to leave and had a hard time; but that would be my greatest concern. It seems like an idea environment for developing cult like practices.

I don't think I would call them Heretics. . .
As far as I know, they have a pretty sound interpretation of the gospels - although I have herd they can be very legalistic in their  interpretations. Somewhat like the churches of Christ. They may be something akin to a Sect - but that wouldn't make them heretics.

Weather it is a good or bad situation for a drug addled teen probably depends on many varied particulars. Teen Challenge itself varies from Chapter to Chapter; and of corse the kids varrie in unlimited ways. I can imagine scenarios where it is very helpful; or devastating.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
Destroying Heresy and false teaching is something close to my heart, I am something of a traditionalist. Heresy can be comited very simply, a example would be a t-shirt I saw once.

"Jesus is my Home Boy."

Thats what the t-shirt said, this is heresy. Jesus is not your home boy, he is God! Now, heresy is not all "Lets burn them at the stake" kind of thing. Its mostly just a kind word and soft correction and its delt with, but there is alot more heresy around then you would think.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline andlorr

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 10:21:12 PM »
So I just saw a commercial for Teen Challenge, and it immediately triggered my suspicions.  Have there been any reports of abuse, physical or mental?  I looked up the site, and it's in my town!  If this is a Straight/Synanon type place, I am really not happy with it being in business at all, and certainly not this close to me.   :flame:

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 10:36:08 PM »
TC is huge, world-wide.  Most of the facilities look like sterotypical religious drug rehabs, but these in particular resembles the industry.
http://www.tcidaho.net/
http://www.newhopeacademytc.org/pagevie ... ageID=9116
Under-cutting the industry at just $1400 per month

The first thing that caught my attention is calling the organization "Teen" Challenge when they ' treat' all ages.

From Wikipedia
All Teen Challenge centers operate autonomously. The parent organization is now under the auspices of the Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal association in which Wilkerson is ordained.

Studies of Teen Challenge Effectiveness
Teen Challenge has been cited in public policy debates as an example of why such programs merit the federal funding of faith-based organizations. Its documented success rates played a role in the establishment of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives in 2001.

Rick Rose has some articles.
http://www.cultnews.com/?cat=138
http://www.rickross.com/reference/brown ... lle18.html

TC Texas:
http://www.tfn.org/religiousfreedom/fai ... challenge/ Sounds like Roloff Ministries
Even prior to seeking an exemption from state licensing, a 1995 state inspection revealed that Teen Challenge was not compliant with numerous state health, safety and quality of care standards.

Rather than force Teen Challenge to meet the basic health and safety standards to which their secular counterparts must adhere, then-Governor George Bush pushed through legislation that would exempt Teen Challenge and other faith-based drug treatment centers from state licensing ? and the health, safety and quality of care standards that accompany that licensure. ?Teen Challenge should view itself as a pioneer in how Texas approaches faith-based programs, I?ll call together people, ask them to make recommendations. I?d like to make recommendations to the legislature?But Teen Challenge is going to exist?and licensing standards have to be different from what they are today,? then-Governor Bush said. (World Magazine, 7/29-8/5/1995)
In 1998, a boy filed suit against Dallas Teen Challenge Boys Ranch and Assemblies of God, alleging that a counselor, who was a convicted drug trafficker, sexually molested him and two other boys. The lawsuit also claimed that the ranch?s Executive Director, the church and the ranch?s board knowingly hired people with criminal histories to serve as counselors. (Austin American-Statesman, 5/13/1998)

A peek into a Ft Worth Tx facility for young adult women.
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase ... id%3A79817
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:00:10 AM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 11:43:36 PM »
Quote from: ""BuzzKill""
Teen Challenge is different from the typical teen program, in that the kids must enter willingly. There is an application process the teen must take part in. As for the religious aspects it is very much a Christian centered program, but the teens know that going in, and must have a statement of faith to be admitted - so its not like they are forcing religion on the kids.

i would argue that the idea of choice in a faith based rehab programme for teens can be questionable. If a kid has a substance abuse problem severe enough that they seek help, they may be willing to say or do anything to get help. They are in a pretty vulnerable position and may at the time be operating on a few beers short of a six pack. This potentially makes them open to all kinds of abuse. particularly when Christianity seems to be a get out of jail free card for programmes wishing to escape regulation.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 02:34:54 AM »
"I used to be all messed up on drugs, but now that I've found the Lord, now I'm all messed up on the Lord."

-- From "Streets of New York or Los Angeles or San Francisco Or...", Cheech & Chong, 1972

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
Quote from: ""BuzzKill""
Teen Challenge is different from the typical teen program, in that the kids must enter willingly. There is an application process the teen must take part in. As for the religious aspects it is very much a Christian centered program, but the teens know that going in, and must have a statement of faith to be admitted - so its not like they are forcing religion on the kids. This is how they are supposed to operate anyway. I wouldn't be to shocked to hear some chapters break the rules; and not at all surprised to learn there is rampant corruption in the leadership.

I have not heard of a case where anyone wanted to leave and had a hard time; but that would be my greatest concern. It seems like an idea environment for developing cult like practices.

I don't think I would call them Heretics. . .

As far as I know, they have a pretty sound interpretation of the gospels - although I have herd they can be very legalistic in their  interpretations. Somewhat like the churches of Christ. They may be something akin to a Sect - but that wouldn't make them heretics.

Weather it is a good or bad situation for a drug addled teen probably depends on many varied particulars. Teen Challenge itself varies from Chapter to Chapter; and of corse the kids varrie in unlimited ways. I can imagine scenarios where it is very helpful; or devastating.  

"Willing" is a relative term. Some programs that aren't lockdown urge parents to throw their kid out of the house if he doesn't agree to enter the program or tries to leave. (Hyde's famous for this BTW.) Unless you're willing to live as a homeless person it ain't much of a free choice.

Offline Michael Kincheloe

• View Profile
    • http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
Teen Challenge
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
Take it from someone who spent a year at two Teen Challenge locations in CA - they use Jesus like a pit bull on a leash, or a modern-day Sword of Damocles. Read about these two detestable places at:

http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teen Challenge
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 02:29:32 AM »
WHAT WAS YOUR TIME like there M?