Author Topic: WWASPS Documentary still around!  (Read 6194 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
WWASPS Documentary still around!
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:03:50 PM »
Back to the subject of the thread. . .

Did I hear Ken Kay correctly - that his kid (Jay Kay) might be "money ahead" if he had taped his mouth shut? If you watch this film you'll see Ken Kay talking about Chris Goodwin's testimony that he had witnessed a girl at Cross Creek with a three inch strip of  [duct] tape across her mouth. The reporter for PBS was asking Ken if in his opinion that was abuse. He struggled a bit with that question -  saying he wasn't the right one to answer it; he didn't know; he had seen cases in public school where he thought it might be a good idea; he had been tempted to with his kids but never had b/c it wasn't his style. But then said maybe he was wrong [not to tape his kids mouth shut] that maybe if he had they would be - what did he say again?? It sounded like "money ahead"??

And can you believe that Chaffin Pullan?? No way was he going to just answer the question! Our students have the opportunity to - this that and the other thing - but no way man, was he going to talk about those who end up in the Hobit for most of the  year.

And speaking of stumped for an answer - how 'bout that sheriff! I would hope after this has aired, all Bobby's money and all Bobby's men, won't get that man elected sheriff again!

I wish they had had the time to explore the nature and history of the seminars. This is so important to understand how the program continues to operate, and yet it is so seldom explained.

I also found myself wishing they were clearer about the conditions at High Impact. For example - it might have been worth pointing out it was in the desert - and the kids were being forced to march in sweat suits.  The cattle prods being used as an incentive to remain in the appointed position are also worth note.

But over all, given time constraints, they did a good job of explaining the issue of this industry's lack of oversight the subsequent dangers; and that was their focus.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
montana documentary
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 10:50:12 AM »
Watching that brought back a lot of memories.
I had never seen it before, it's bound to make a difference if it hasn't already. I know that some people do regret their involvement in these places. Law enforcement officers, day/night employers, REAL teachers, parents, and kids were all duped by this industry.
I just knew that I must've had rights I was being denied. It took a "high impact" program just to make me "agree" to return to my program. Just because I didn't die and my arm didn't get broken doesn't mean it was all ok!
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
REDACTED
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 10:50:48 AM »
REDACTED
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 11:43:51 AM »
Word on the street is...

SCL is down to just over 200 kids (they peaked at over 500 a couple year ago, in 2000 it was around 300 kids. They only have four lower level boys families now and two lower level girls...

parents seem to be wising up? economy slowing and parents running out of money? whatever it is... glad its happening.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
That is great news that enrollment is dwindling.
On a much smaller scale, that is how Whitmore Academy finally closed in Nephi, Utah.
The Sudweeks' enrollment peaked at about 47 kids in 2004. Then the abuse allegations became public.  Four families removed their children immediately. Then slowly, the enrollment began to dwindle as more parents withdrew their kids.  Then, fewer kids were enrolled after Cheryl Sudweeks was charged with criminal child abuse. Finally the place was closed in 2006!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 01:19:54 PM »
Does anyone know what is going on with the WWASPS documentary? Is out and avilable to buy? Is there lawsuits against it or something? Is it EVER going to get released?

ANY INFORMATION OR EVEN RUMOR IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

:exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »
Anybody notice the disagreement that seemed to erupt between certain orgs. over the promotion of this documentary in the U.S yet no one to this day knows why the documentary has not been released here except possibly those featured in it and these orgs?

This is a really strange scenario in that the documentary was aired in other countries but not available for distribution here.  I think an explanation is definitly in order.

Good place to start would be to contact Sue Scheff who claims on her website she was contacted by the French producers.  Another one is Paula Reeves, who has some contact info for the French producers on her website. (paulareeves.com)

Personally, I think the documentary was good but probably made a major misstep comparing the prophet Joseph Smith to B.F. Skinner.  Perhaps the LDS church has gotten involved though I doubt they even know about the documentary and besides, that could be an opinion that falls under creative license?  Beats me. Just wish the mystery surrounding this documentary would be unveiled so we wouldn't have to speculate and/or rely on rumor or innuendo.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 07:49:49 PM »
Here in England my family saw the longer film of an hour and a half. I also saw the shortie george version in Australia. I don't get it. The longer version is better but the short version seems to be taken from the long one.

The one we saw in Europe was brillant and made us cry. Why hasn't it been released on the American tellies yet?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »
There's a long discussion on this TB Documentary on the
PURE Bullshit CAICA thread.......

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 06:08:23 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Here in England my family saw the longer film of an hour and a half. I also saw the shortie george version in Australia. I don't get it. The longer version is better but the short version seems to be taken from the long one.

The one we saw in Europe was brillant and made us cry. Why hasn't it been released on the American tellies yet?

Because a ton of politicians are linked financially to this industry, for one - and for two its been put into legal limbo.

I do hope this hits at the right time to create a good media shitstorm... we need to spread awareness, and sensationalism seems to be the only way!
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Youtube Video
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
Hi,

Here is a link to a video about WWASPS on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI-TfOHyM54

Adam

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:47 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

When was it shown in England?  On what channel?