Author Topic: comparing: rights vs MMS verision of our rights  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
comparing: rights vs MMS verision of our rights
« on: April 09, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
I just thought I'd show you all the degree with which the rights affroded us at MMS's psuedo mental health facility and point out just how absurdly restrictive they are compared to the rights afforded youth at any regulated metnal health facility:

Handbook of Rights for Minors In Mental Health Facilities

Protection and Advocacy System

1720 Louisiana Blvd, NE, Ste. 204

Albuquerque, NM 87110

(505) 256-3100

Fax (505) 256-3184

Statewide toll free 1-800-432-4682

·Voice and TTY

Las Vegas (505) 425-5265

Revised 11/96

Minor's Rights Handbook

The laws of the State of New Mexico guarantee certain legal rights to persons under the age of 18 who are receiving residential mental health treatment.

This handbook is designed to answer questions you may have about your legal rights as a person receiving residential mental health care, and to help you exercise those rights if you choose to do so.

If you have questions that are not addressed by this handbook, you may call an advocate from the New Mexico Protection and Advocacy System at 1-800-432-4682, or, in Las Vegas, at 425-5265 (Local Albuquerque Number (505) 256-3100).

What Are Some of the Rights People

Have in Mental Health Facilities?

The laws of New Mexico guarantee certain legal rights to residents of mental health facilities, such as:

The right to send and receive sealed and uncensored mail and to have access to postage stamps and writing material.

The right to practice or abstain from practicing religion.

The right to an appetizing, nourishing and well balanced diet.

The right to see visitors of one's own choice each day, during reasonable visiting hours.

The right to prompt and adequate medical attention.

The right to be free from unnecessary or excessive medication.

The right to be involved in the preparation of a treatment plan that is developed to meet your particular needs.

The right to make and receive confidential telephone calls.

The right to a humane psychological and physical environment, including one that is clean, safe, and comfortable.

The right to daily exercise and outdoor exercise.

Being a patient in a residential or mental health facility can sometimes be both frightening and confusing. Remember, just because a person is in residential care does not mean he will automatically lose his legal rights. Here are some questions often asked by kids who are in residential mental health facilities.

Can my friends visit?

Yes. You have a right to see visitors of your choosing, during regular visiting hours, on a daily basis. Visitors can be restricted for "good cause" by your doctor. For example, if a visitor upset you or others on the unit, that particular visitor could be denied. Also, if a visitor brought alcohol or drugs or other contraband on the unit that particular visitor could be denied. Remember - any denial of a legal right must be done on an individual basis. The residential mental health facility can't deny all visitors because of one problem visitor.

Will my friends find out I am in a residential mental health facility?

Only if you or someone not responsible for your care and treatment should tell them. The fact that you are in a mental health facility is confidential and information about your treatment must be protected by the facility.

Can the facility staff read my mail...or keep my mail from me?

No. You have a right to send and receive sealed and uncensored mail. In fact, the residential mental health facility must make letter writing materials available to you. This includes stamps, paper, envelopes, etc. Your right to send and receive confidential mail can only be denied if good cause exists, such as writing threatening letters, etc. In some instances, staff may require you to open mail in front of them, but they can't read or censor your mail.

Can I use the telephone and make private phone calls?

Yes. You have a right to make calls during reasonable times. Understand, however, that the length of your calls could be limited if others are unable make or receive phone calls because it is always in use. Also, the right to use the phone could be denied if "good cause" exists. An example of "good cause" might be illegal activity that was conducted by phone, i.e., threats, and so forth.

Can my parents prevent me from having any of my legal rights?

No. The only one who can deny you a right is your clinician...and only for "good cause".

Can Any of These Rights be Taken

Away?

Yes. Some of these rights can be denied by your clinician for "good cause," but rights cannot be denied as a form of punishment or because the facility doesn't have enough staff.

What Does "Good Cause" Mean?

This term is not defined in the law. Consider "good cause" to be a situation where your clinician has determined that the right must be denied because if it were not it would interfere with your treatment in some way. If a right is denied, the authorized professional must clearly document the reason and how long it will be denied. The right must be restored when the reason for denial no longer exits.

Rights cannot be denied as a part of a behavior modification program, and they cannot be "earned". Rights are protected by law.

If a right is taken away, it must be done on an individual basis. There cannot be a policy that denies rights to all patients (i.e., a "Level Policy").

What is the Difference Between a Legal Right and a Privilege?

While rights cannot be taken away except for good cause, and cannot be held out to be earned, privileges can be taken away, and can be earned as part of a behavior modification "level" program. An example might be a pass to leave grounds.

Can a Privilege Be Taken Away if I Decide to Exercise my Legal Rights?

No. You can't lose a privilege in retaliation for demanding your rights.

What is a Behavior Modification Program?

Many mental health facilities use programs designed to change negative behavior. These programs may be called "behavior modification" programs, "token" programs, and so forth. Generally, they are programs which require a person to behave in a positive manner before they earn certain privileges. Note the use of the word "privileges". Legal rights cannot be part of a behavior modification program, because legal rights are guaranteed to you by the laws of New Mexico. They can only be denied, as discussed, for "good cause". Privileges, however, are special activities that you may have to earn, such as going on an outing, or staying up later than others. If you are participating in a behavior modification program, you cannot lose the rights of seeing visitors, using the telephone, corresponding with people by mail, or others outlined in this handbook.

Do I have the right to refuse medication?

It depends upon your age. If you are younger than 14, medication may be given only with consent of your parent, guardian, or legal custodian. If you are older than 14, you may refuse or consent to medication.

What is a Treatment Guardian?

A Treatment Guardian is a person who has been appointed by the court to make treatment decisions for a patient. For example, if it was thought that you were not able to make treatment decisions on your own, including medication decisions, a treatment guardian could be appointed by the Court to make this decision for you. A court hearing would be required for this appointment to be made.

What Can a Person Do if He Thinks His Rights Have Been Denied Improperly?

If a person thinks he has been treated unfairly or has been improperly denied any of the rights in this handbook, he should call New Mexico Protection and Advocacy System and ask to speak with an advocate from the Mental Health Project. The number is 1-800-432-4682, or, in Las Vegas, NM 425-5265.

What is the Difference Between a Voluntary and an Involuntary Patient?

· A voluntary patient is a person who has consented to admission to a mental health facility and continues to be willing to stay in the facility.

· An involuntary patient is a patient who has been committed by the court and is not willing or is unable to accept treatment voluntarily.

How do I Admit Myself to a Mental Health Facility?

The law allows any person fourteen years of age or older to request admission to a mental health facility for up to 60 days, if the

minor and his parent/guardian complete a document indicating that the admission is voluntary. A child younger than 14 can be admitted with the informed consent of a parent, guardian or legal custodian.

If I am Admitted, Will a Lawyer Contact Me?

Yes. If you are 14 or over, within seven days following admission a lawyer is required to meet with you to explain that you have a right to an attorney, that you have a right to end your voluntary admission, what may happen if you ask to end your voluntary admission, and other rights that you have. If you are younger than 14, a guardian ad litem will meet with you and your parent, guardian, or legal custodian and clinician to determine if they understand and agree to your admission, if the admission is in your best interests, and if the placement is appropriate for you.

How Long Can I Stay in the Facility as a Voluntary Patient?

Your admission must be reviewed every 60 days. If it is decided that I want you to continue to stay beyond 60 days, a lawyer will be contacted and will meet with you to make sure you understand your rights. The lawyer will also make sure you know how to ask to be released if you want to do so.

What if I Change my Mind and Want to be Discharged From the Facility?

If you are over 14 years old and admitted yourself voluntarily and decide you want to be released, you must notify the director, your doctor, or a staff member, and they must arrange for your discharge by contacting your parent/guardian to take custody of you. It is a good idea to make your request in writing and keep a copy for yourself, though it is not necessary.

Does the Facility Have to Release Me if I Request it?

Not necessarily. If it is determined that, because of a mental disorder, you need and probably will benefit from continued treatment, and that the facility is able to meet your treatment needs in a way that gives you as much freedom as possible, you could be held in the facility against your will.

What Happens if They Don't Let Me Go?

If your request for release is refused, the facility must file a petition of commitment to be allowed to hold you against your will.

What if my Family Refuses to Take Custody of Me?

If that happens the residential mental health facility will notify the Children, Youth and Families Department, which will make other living and custodial arrangements for you.

Can I Go to Court to Try to Get Released?

Yes. You have a right to a hearing within seven days of your request to be released.

How Could I Be Admitted Against My Will?

The law allows anybody to request that a Children's Court attorney file a petition with the court to have you committed if it is believed that you have a mental disorder which causes you to need mental health treatment.

What Happens When the Court Receives the Petition?

The Court must appoint a lawyer for you unless you have an attorney who has already been appointed or retained. The attorney must represent you at all stages of the commitment.

Does There Have to be a Hearing?

Yes. However, if the lawyer talks with you and determines you understand your rights and do not wish to be present at the hearing, the lawyer will notify the court and your presence at the hearing can be waived.

The hearing must be held within seven days of your request to leave.

If you were brought in during an emergency because you tried to hurt yourself or someone else, the hearing would have to be held within 7 days.

If I Don't Attend the Hearing, Does That Mean I want to Stay in the Residential Mental Health Facility?

No, nor does it necessarily mean you want to be released. Again, if your lawyer talked with you and determines you understand your rights and don't want to attend the hearing, you don't have to be present.

What Rights Do I Have at the Commitment Hearing?

The right to be represented by an attorney, to present evidence, to cross examine witnesses, to have a record of the proceedings, and to appeal.

How Does the Court Decide if I Needed to be Committed?

If the court is shown by "clear and convincing evidence" that you have a mental disorder, would benefit from treatment, and the commitment would meet your needs in the least restrictive setting, an order for commitment could be issued.

How Long Could the Commitment Last?

You have a right to a review of your commitment at the end of the 60 days. If the commitment period is renewed, it can't be longer than 6 months.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »
where were our legal rights?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
here's another list too long to post:

http://www.ispn-psych.org/docs/99childrens-rights.pdf

Offline poncho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
those rights are from New Mexico. They vary from state to state. I have never had all of those rights in any facility I've been in. And most of them were humane. MMS definitely infringed upon our rights, but we have to use a set of rights for the state of Montana for an accurate comparison. The second is only a position statement by an organization. neither apply in "law" in Montana. They should be followed but those specifically have no legal weight in montana. I can tell you that practicing w/o a liscence is against the law. ie leading group or individual therapy w/o a valid liscene to do so
[ This Message was edited by: poncho on 2006-04-09 14:12 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
This is an example. Right do vary from state to state, however- the rights afforded here- listed for NM are more or less the same in many states- certainly more broadly than those afforded to us at MMS, I'm guessing that' s the point.  Let's see if we can find MT's.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
On 2006-04-09 14:01:00, poncho wrote:

I have never had all of those rights in any facility I've been in.

Really??  I beleive all mental heatlh facilities are required to provide you with access to an advocate, ability to contest placement and access to payphone and visitors... perhaps you are reffering to unregulated facilities, which find the loop hole in the law by calling themseleves something else.

This is true of every psych ward at least.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »
CHAPTER 21 ? MENTALLY ILL

Part 1. Treatment of the Seriously Mentally Ill

53-21-101. Purpose. The purpose of this part is to:

(1) secure for each person who may be suffering from a mental disorder and requiring commitment the care and treatment suited to the needs of the person and to ensure that the care and treatment are skillfully and humanely administered with full respect for the person's dignity and personal integrity;

(2) accomplish this goal whenever possible in a community-based setting;

(3) accomplish this goal in an institutionalized setting only when less restrictive alternatives are unavailable or inadequate and only when a person is suffering from a mental disorder and requires commitment; and

(4) ensure that due process of law is accorded any person coming under the provisions of this part.

53-21-102. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:

(1) "Abuse" means any willful, negligent, or reckless mental, physical, sexual, or verbal mistreatment or maltreatment or misappropriation of personal property of any person receiving treatment in a mental health facility that insults the psychosocial, physical, or sexual integrity of any person receiving treatment in a mental health facility.

(2) "Behavioral health inpatient facility" means a licensed facility of 16 beds or less designated by the department that:

(a) may be a freestanding licensed hospital or a distinct part of another licensed hospital and that is capable of providing inpatient psychiatric services, including services to persons with mental illness and co-occurring chemical dependency; and

(b) has contracted with the department to provide services to persons who have been involuntarily committed for care and treatment of a mental disorder pursuant to this title.

(3) "Board" or "mental disabilities board of visitors" means the mental disabilities board of visitors created by 2-15-211.

(4) "Commitment" means an order by a court requiring an individual to receive treatment for a mental disorder.

(5) "Court" means any district court of the state of Montana.

(6) "Department" means the department of public health and human services provided for in 2-15-2201.

(7) "Emergency situation" means a situation in which any person is in imminent danger of death or bodily harm from the activity of a person who appears to be suffering from a mental disorder and appears to require commitment.

(8) "Friend of respondent" means any person willing and able to assist a person suffering from a mental disorder and requiring commitment or a person alleged to be suffering from a mental disorder and requiring commitment in dealing with legal proceedings, including consultation with legal counsel and others. The friend of respondent may be the next of kin, the person's conservator or legal guardian, if any, representatives of a charitable or religious organization, or any other person appointed by the court to perform the functions of a friend of respondent set out in this part. Only one person may at any one time be the friend of respondent within the meaning of this part. In appointing a friend of respondent, the court shall consider the preference of the respondent. The court may at any time, for good cause, change its designation of the friend of respondent.

(9) (a) "Mental disorder" means any organic, mental, or emotional impairment that has substantial adverse effects on an individual's cognitive or volitional functions.

(b) The term does not include:

(i) addiction to drugs or alcohol;

(ii) drug or alcohol intoxication;

(iii) mental retardation; or

(iv) epilepsy.

(10) "Mental health facility" or "facility" means the state hospital, the Montana mental health nursing care center, or a hospital, a behavioral health inpatient facility, a mental health center, a residential treatment facility, or a residential treatment center licensed or certified by the department that provides treatment to children or adults with a mental disorder. A correctional institution or facility or jail is not a mental health facility within the meaning of this part.

(11) "Mental health professional" means:

(a) a certified professional person;

(b) a physician licensed under Title 37, chapter 3;

(c) a professional counselor licensed under Title 37, chapter 23;

(d) a psychologist licensed under Title 37, chapter 17;

(e) a social worker licensed under Title 37, chapter 22; or

(f) an advanced practice registered nurse, as provided for in 37-8-202, with a clinical specialty in psychiatric mental health nursing.

(12) (a) "Neglect" means failure to provide for the biological and psychosocial needs of any person receiving treatment in a mental health facility, failure to report abuse, or failure to exercise supervisory responsibilities to protect patients from abuse and neglect.

(b) The term includes but is not limited to:

(i) deprivation of food, shelter, appropriate clothing, nursing care, or other services;

(ii) failure to follow a prescribed plan of care and treatment; or

(iii) failure to respond to a person in an emergency situation by indifference, carelessness, or intention.

(13) "Next of kin" includes but is not limited to the spouse, parents, adult children, and adult brothers and sisters of a person.

(14) "Patient" means a person committed by the court for treatment for any period of time or who is voluntarily admitted for treatment for any period of time.

(15) "Peace officer" means any sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, police officer, or other peace officer.

(16) "Professional person" means:

(a) a medical doctor;

(b) an advanced practice registered nurse, as provided for in 37-8-202, with a clinical specialty in psychiatric mental health nursing; or

(c) a person who has been certified, as provided for in 53-21-106, by the department.

(17) "Reasonable medical certainty" means reasonable certainty as judged by the standards of a professional person.

(18) "Respondent" means a person alleged in a petition filed pursuant to this part to be suffering from a mental disorder and requiring commitment.

(19) "State hospital" means the Montana state hospital.

53-21-103. Court records to be kept separate. Records and papers in proceedings under this part shall be maintained separately by the clerks of the several courts. Five days prior to the release of a respondent or patient committed to a mental health facility, the facility shall notify the clerk of the court, and the clerk shall immediately seal the record in the case and omit the name of the respondent or patient from the index or indexes of cases in the court unless the court orders the record opened for good cause shown.

53-21-104. Powers and duties of mental disabilities board of visitors. (1) The board is an independent board of inquiry and review that is responsible to ensure that the treatment of all persons either voluntarily or involuntarily admitted to a mental facility in Montana is humane, is consistent with established clinical and other professional standards, and meets the requirements set forth in this part.

(2) The board shall review all plans for experimental research involving persons admitted to a mental health facility to ensure that each research project is humane and not unduly hazardous and that it complies with the principles of the statement on the use of human subjects for research of the American association on mental deficiency and with the principles for research involving human subjects required by the United States department of health and human services. An activity considered to be an experimental research project and that involves a person or persons admitted to a mental health facility affected by this part may not be commenced unless it is approved by the mental disabilities board of visitors.

(3) (a) The board shall inspect every mental health facility that provides treatment or evaluation to any person pursuant to this part.

(b) The board shall annually establish a schedule for the inspection of mental health facilities that enables the board to meet its obligation under subsection (1).

(c) The board's authority to inspect mental health facilities may not be waived or precluded by other treatment review, licensing, or accreditation requirements or protocols. The board may exercise the prerogative to inspect any mental health facility at any time independent of its facility inspection schedule.

(d) The board shall produce a written report of each inspection of a mental health facility that must include specific recommendations for improvements that the board concludes are necessary in order for the inspected facility to meet the requirements in this part.

(e) The board shall provide a draft of each written report within 30 calendar days of the completion of each mental health facility inspection to the professional person in charge of the inspected facility for review prior to publication.

(f) The professional person in charge of the inspected facility shall provide a written response to the board's written report within 30 calendar days of receipt of the report. The response must include one of the following for each recommendation:

(i) a specific plan for implementation of the recommended action; or

(ii) a specific rationale that explains why the recommendation cannot be implemented.

(g) The board shall include the inspected facility's written response in the board's final published written report.

(h) The board shall include in subsequent inspections an assessment of each facility's implementation of the recommendations.

(i) The board shall report in writing to the director of the department and the governor when it determines that a mental health facility has not either implemented written recommendations or provided a specific rationale that explains why any recommendations cannot be implemented.

(4) (a) The board, by applying a sampling process during a scheduled inspection of a mental health facility, shall ensure that a treatment plan and a discharge plan exists and is being implemented for each patient admitted or committed to the mental health facility being inspected under this part.

(b) The board, during a scheduled inspection of a mental health facility, shall review all aspects of the treatment of persons admitted to mental health facilities and review the use of treatment procedures that involve behavior control, including but not limited to the use of any type of mechanical restraints, locked and unlocked seclusion or isolation, time out, or any other procedure involving physical control.

(c) The board shall ensure that the use of treatment procedures described in subsection (4)(b) at inspected mental health facilities is clinically justified, is monitored closely by a medical doctor and other mental health professionals, is implemented only when other less restrictive measures have failed, and is implemented to the least extent necessary to protect the safety and health of the affected individual or others in the immediate environment.

(d) The board may exercise the prerogative to inquire about and ensure the existence and implementation of treatment plans and discharge plans for any person admitted to a mental health facility and to inquire about and ensure the appropriate use of treatment procedures described in subsection (4)(b) with any person admitted to a mental health facility independent of its facility inspection schedule.

(5) The board may assist any person who is receiving or who has received treatment at a mental health facility in resolving any grievance the person may have concerning the person's admission or course of treatment in the facility.

(6) The board shall employ and is responsible for full-time legal counsel at the state hospital, whose responsibility is to act on behalf of all patients at the state hospital. The board shall ensure that there are sufficient legal staff and facilities to ensure availability to all patients and shall require that the appointed counsel periodically interview every patient and examine the patient's files and records. The board may employ additional legal counsel for representation of patients in a similar manner at any other mental health facility having inpatient capability.

(7) (a) If the board believes that any facility is failing to comply with the provisions of this part in regard to its physical facilities or its treatment of any person, it shall report its findings in writing to the professional person in charge of the facility and the director of the department.

(b) The professional person in charge of the facility shall submit a written response to the board within 10 working days of the receipt of the board's written findings provided for in subsection (7)(a) that includes an explanation of the facility's point of view regarding the board's concerns, including areas of disagreement and agreement. If the facility is in full or partial agreement with the board's concerns, its written response must include actions that it has taken or that it plans to take to address the concerns.

(c) If the facility's written response does not resolve the concerns to the board's satisfaction, the board and the professional person in charge of the facility shall meet in person within 15 working days of the board's receipt of the facility's response to seek a mutually agreed upon resolution.

(8) The board shall publish standards for its inspections of mental health facilities.

(9) The board shall report annually to the governor concerning:

(a) the status of the mental health facilities and treatment programs that it has inspected since the last annual report; and

(b) occurrences of the administration of medications against the wishes of persons receiving treatment in mental health facilities and the effectiveness of the review procedure required by 53-21-127(6) in protecting persons from unnecessary or excessive medication.

53-21-105. Certification of professional persons required. No person may act in a professional capacity as provided for in this part unless he is a professional person as defined in 53-21-102.

53-21-106. Certification of professional persons. (1) The department shall certify professional persons as defined in 53-21-102 for the purpose of this part.

(2) The department, with reference to recognized national standards in the field of mental health, shall adopt standards and rules governing the certification of professional persons as defined in 53-21-102.

(3) The rules for certification must address but are not limited to:

(a) the type of education that an individual has received, including degrees;

(b) the type of experience or training received by the individual;

(c) continuing education, training, instruction, and work experience necessary to maintain certification;

(d) an examination instrument to be used to determine an individual's proficiency and understanding of mental health laws, diagnosis, and treatment procedures;

(e) the procedure for categorical certification qualifying the level of professional authority and responsibility of an individual; and

(f) specific procedures for certification, recertification, and revocation of certification.

53-21-107. Abuse and neglect of persons admitted to mental health facility prohibited -- reporting -- investigations. (1) Any form of abuse or neglect of a person admitted to a mental health facility is prohibited.

(2) Each mental health facility shall publish policies and procedures that define the facility's guidelines for detecting, reporting, investigating, determining the validity, and resolving allegations of abuse or neglect.

(3) Each allegation of abuse or neglect must be reported as follows:

(a) Any employee of the mental health facility with knowledge of the allegation shall immediately report the allegation to the professional person in charge of the facility.

(b) The professional person in charge of the mental health facility shall report the allegation by the end of the next business day, in writing, to the board.

(c) When the allegation of abuse or neglect may constitute a criminal act, the professional person in charge of the mental health facility shall immediately report the allegation to the appropriate law enforcement authority.

(4) Each mental health facility shall provide a mechanism for reporting allegations of abuse or neglect that in no way deters or discourages an individual from reporting the allegations.

(5) Investigations of allegations of abuse or neglect must be initiated by the professional person in charge of the facility as soon as possible after the initial report of the incident, but not later than by the end of the next business day. Initiation of each investigation may not be delayed in any way that adversely affects the efficacy of the investigation. However, the investigation must be initiated immediately when there is a report of an alleged criminal act.

(6) The investigation of each allegation of abuse or neglect must be concluded within the minimum period of time necessary to gather the information relative to each allegation and to come to a conclusion following the initial report of the allegation.

(7) Each mental health facility shall document the following in writing regarding each allegation of abuse or neglect:

(a) details of each allegation of abuse or neglect, including the names of any facility staff against whom the allegation is made;

(b) a description of the rationale for conducting the investigation with either in-house or outside personnel;

(c) details of the process of the investigation of each allegation of abuse or neglect;

(d) details of the conclusions of the investigation; and

(e) details of corrective action taken.

(8) Mental health facilities shall provide a copy of the written report described in subsections (7)(a) through (7)(e) within 5 working days of the completion of each investigation to the director of the department and to the board.

53-21-111. Voluntary admission -- content of admission form -- requirements for valid admission. (1) (a) This part may not be construed to limit the right of a person to make voluntary application for admission at any time to a mental health facility or professional person.

(b) An application for admission to a mental health facility must be in writing on a form prescribed by the facility. The form must explain:

(i) the process for requesting release and that the request must be in writing;

(ii) that the individual applying for release may be held involuntarily for up to 5 days after requesting release; and

(iii) that the facility may request a court to involuntarily commit the applicant.

(c) A statement of the rights of the person voluntarily applying for admission, as set out in this part, must be furnished to the patient within 12 hours.

(2) An applicant who wishes to voluntarily apply for admission to the state hospital shall first obtain certification from a professional person that the applicant is suffering from a mental disorder. The professional person shall then obtain confirmation from the department or the department's designee that the facilities available to the mental health region in which the applicant resides are unable to provide adequate evaluation and treatment. The department shall adopt rules to establish a procedure whereby a professional person shall obtain the confirmation from the department or the department's designee as required in this section.

(3) An application for voluntary admission must give the facility the right to detain the applicant for no more than 5 days, excluding weekends and holidays, past the applicant's written request for release. A mental health facility may adopt rules providing for detention of the applicant for less than 5 days. The facility shall notify all applicants of the rules and post the rules as provided in 53-21-168.

(4) An individual applying for voluntary admission pursuant to this section may not be admitted unless:

(a) the admission is approved by a professional person;

(b) the individual applying for admission has been informed orally of the matters required by subsection (1)(b) to be stated in the written application for admission;

(c) a copy of the written application for admission has been given to the applicant; and

(d) the admission otherwise complies with the requirements of this section.

(5) A person voluntarily entering or remaining in a mental health facility shall enjoy all the rights secured to a person involuntarily committed to the facility.

53-21-112. Voluntary admission of minors. (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a parent or guardian of a minor may consent to mental health services to be rendered to the minor by:

(a) a facility;

(b) a person licensed in this state to practice medicine; or

(c) a mental health professional licensed in this state.

(2) A minor who is at least 16 years of age may, without the consent of a parent or guardian, consent to receive mental health services from those facilities or persons listed in subsection (1).

(3) Except as provided by this section, the provisions of 53-21-111 apply to the voluntary admission of a minor to a mental health facility but not to the state hospital.

(4) Except as provided by this subsection, voluntary admission of a minor to a mental health facility for an inpatient course of treatment is for the same period of time as that for an adult. A minor voluntarily admitted with consent of the minor's parent or guardian has the right to be released within 5 days of a request by the parent or guardian as provided in 53-21-111(3). A minor who has been admitted without consent by a parent or guardian, pursuant to subsection (2), may also make a request and also has the right to be released within 5 days as provided in 53-21-111(3). Unless there has been a periodic review and a voluntary readmission consented to by the parent or guardian in the case of a minor patient or consented to by the minor alone in the case of a minor patient who is at least 16 years of age, voluntary admission terminates at the expiration of 1 year. Counsel must be appointed for the minor at the minor's request or at any time that the minor is faced with potential legal proceedings.

53-21-113. Costs of committing a patient already voluntarily admitted -- transportation costs for voluntary admission. (1) The cost of involuntarily committing a patient who is voluntarily admitted to a mental health facility at the time the involuntary proceedings are commenced must be paid by the county of the patient's residence at the time of admission.

(2) The costs of transportation to a mental health facility under 53-21-111 and 53-21-112 must be provided by the local office of public assistance located in the county of the patient's residence. However, if protective proceedings under Title 72, chapter 5, have been or are initiated with respect to the person, the local office of public assistance may seek reimbursement. If no one else is available to transport the person, the sheriff shall transport the person.

53-21-114. Notice of rights to be given. (1) Whenever a person is involuntarily detained pursuant to 53-21-121 through 53-21-126, the person shall at the time of detention be informed of his constitutional rights and his rights under this part. Within 3 days of such detention, he must also be informed in writing by the county attorney of such rights.

(2) Every respondent subject to an order for short-term treatment or long-term care and treatment shall be advised in writing of his right to appeal the order by the court at the conclusion of any hearing the result of which such an order may be entered.

53-21-115. Procedural rights. In addition to any other rights that may be guaranteed by the constitution of the United States and of this state, by the laws of this state, or by this part, any person who is involuntarily detained or against whom a petition is filed pursuant to this part has the following rights:

(1) the right to notice reasonably in advance of any hearing or other court proceeding concerning the person;

(2) the right in any hearing to be present, to offer evidence, and to present witnesses in any proceeding concerning the person;

(3) the right to know, before a hearing, the names and addresses of any witnesses who will testify in support of a petition;

(4) the right in any hearing to cross-examine witnesses;

(5) the right to be represented by counsel;

(6) the right to remain silent;

(7) the right in any hearing to be proceeded against according to the rules of evidence applicable to civil matters generally;

(8) the right to view and copy all petitions on file with the court concerning the person;

(9) the right to be examined by a professional person of the person's choice when the professional person is willing and reasonably available;

(10) the right to be dressed in the person's own clothes at any hearing held pursuant to this part;

(11) the right to refuse any but lifesaving medication for up to 24 hours prior to any hearing held pursuant to this part; and

(12) the right to voluntarily take necessary medications prior to any hearing pursuant to this part.

53-21-116. Right to be present at hearing or trial -- appointment of counsel. The person alleged to be suffering from a mental disorder and requiring commitment has the right to be present at any hearing or trial. If the person is indigent, the judge shall appoint counsel to represent the person at either the hearing or the trial, or both, and the counsel must be compensated pursuant to 3-5-901(1)(f).

53-21-117. Right to representation by own attorney. The respondent or the friend of respondent appointed by the court may secure an attorney of his own choice and at his own expense to represent the respondent.

53-21-118. Right to examination by professional person of own choosing. (1) The respondent, his attorney, or the friend of respondent appointed by the court may secure a professional person of his own choice to examine the respondent and to testify at the hearing before the court or jury as to the results of his examination.

(2) If the person wishing to secure the testimony of a professional person is unable to do so because of financial reasons and if the respondent joins in the request for the examination, the court shall appoint a professional person other than the professional person requesting the commitment to perform the examination. Whenever possible, the court shall allow the respondent a reasonable choice of an available professional person qualified to perform the requested examination who will be compensated from the public funds of the county where the respondent resides.

53-21-119. Waiver of rights. (1) A person may waive his rights, or if the person is not capable of making an intentional and knowing decision, these rights may be waived by his counsel and friend of respondent acting together if a record is made of the reasons for the waiver. The right to counsel may not be waived. The right to treatment provided for in this part may not be waived.

(2) The right of the respondent to be physically present at a hearing may also be waived by his attorney and the friend of respondent with the concurrence of the professional person and the judge upon a finding supported by facts that:

(a) the presence of the respondent at the hearing would be likely to seriously adversely affect his mental condition; and

(b) an alternative location for the hearing in surroundings familiar to the respondent would not prevent such adverse effects on his mental condition.

(3) (a) In the case of a minor, provided that a record is made of the reasons for the waiver, his rights may be waived by the mutual consent of his counsel and parents or guardian or guardian ad litem if there are no parents or guardian.

(b) If there is an apparent conflict of interest between a minor and his parents or guardian, the court shall appoint a guardian ad litem for him.

53-21-120. Detention to be in least restrictive environment -- preference for mental health facility -- court relief -- prehearing detention of mentally ill person prohibited. (1) A person detained pursuant to this part must be detained in the least restrictive environment required to protect the life and physical safety of the person detained or members of the public; in this respect, prevention of significant injury to property may be considered.

(2) Whenever possible, a person detained pursuant to this part must be detained in a mental health facility and in the county of residence. If the person detained demands a jury trial and the trial cannot be held within 7 days, subject to the provisions in 53-21-193, the individual may be sent to the state hospital or a behavioral health inpatient facility until the time of trial if arrangements can be made to return the person to trial. The trial must be held within 30 days. The county of residence shall pay the cost of travel and professional services associated with the trial. A person may not be detained in any hospital or other medical facility that is not a mental health facility unless the hospital or facility has agreed in writing to admit the person.

(3) A person may not be detained pursuant to this part in a jail or other correctional facility.

(4) A person detained prior to involuntary commitment may apply to the court for immediate relief with respect to the need for detention or the adequacy of the facility being utilized to detain.

53-21-121. Petition for commitment -- contents of -- notice of. (1) The county attorney, upon the written request of any person having direct knowledge of the facts, may file a petition with the court alleging that there is a person within the county who is suffering from a mental disorder and who requires commitment pursuant to this chapter.

(2) The petition must contain:

(a) the name and address of the person requesting the petition and the person's interest in the case;

(b) the name of the respondent and, if known, the address, age, sex, marital status, and occupation of the respondent;

(c) the purported facts supporting the allegation of mental disorder, including a report by a mental health professional if any, a statement of the disposition sought pursuant to 53-21-127, and the need for commitment;

(d) the name and address of every person known or believed to be legally responsible for the care, support, and maintenance of the respondent for whom evaluation is sought;

(e) the name and address of the respondent's next of kin to the extent known to the county attorney and the person requesting the petition;

(f) the name and address of any person whom the county attorney believes might be willing and able to be appointed as friend of respondent;

(g) the name, address, and telephone number of the attorney, if any, who has most recently represented the respondent for whom evaluation is sought; if there is no attorney, there must be a statement as to whether to the best knowledge of the person requesting the petition the respondent for whom evaluation is sought is indigent and unable to afford the services of an attorney;

(h) a statement of the rights of the respondent, which must be in conspicuous print and identified by a suitable heading; and

(i) the name and address of the mental health facility to which it is proposed that the respondent may be committed, if known.

(3) Notice of the petition must be hand-delivered to the respondent and to the respondent's counsel on or before the initial appearance of the respondent before the judge or justice of the peace. The respondent's counsel shall meet with the respondent, explain the substance of the petition, and explain the probable course of the proceedings. Notice of the petition and the order setting the date and time of the hearing and the names of the respondent's counsel, professional person, and friend of respondent must be hand-delivered, mailed, or sent by a facsimile transmission to the person or persons legally responsible for care, support, and maintenance of the respondent, the next of kin identified in the petition, any other person identified by the county attorney as a possible friend of respondent other than the one named as the friend of respondent, the director of the department or the director's designee, and the mental health facility to which the respondent may be committed, if known. The notice may provide, other than as to the respondent and the respondent's counsel, that no further notice will be given unless written request is filed with the clerk of court.

53-21-122. Petition for commitment -- filing of -- initial hearing on. (1) The petition must be filed with the clerk of court who shall immediately notify the judge.

(2) If a judge is available, the judge shall consider the petition, and if the judge finds no probable cause, it must be dismissed. If the judge finds probable cause, counsel must be immediately appointed for the respondent, and the respondent must be brought before the court with the respondent's counsel. The respondent must be advised of the respondent's constitutional rights, the respondent's rights under this part, and the substantive effect of the petition. The respondent may at this appearance object to the finding of probable cause for filing the petition. The judge shall appoint a professional person and a friend of respondent and set a date and time for the hearing on the petition that may not be on the same day as the initial appearance and that may not exceed 5 days, including weekends and holidays, unless the fifth day falls upon a weekend or holiday and unless additional time is requested on behalf of the respondent. The desires of the respondent must be taken into consideration in the appointment of the friend of respondent and in the confirmation of the appointment of the attorney.

(3) If a judge is not available in the county, the clerk shall notify a resident judge by telephone and shall read the petition to the judge. If the judge finds no probable cause, the petition must be dismissed. If the judge finds probable cause, the judge shall cause the clerk to issue an order appointing counsel and a professional person and setting a date and time for the hearing on the petition that may not be on the same day as the initial appearance and that may not exceed 5 days, including weekends and holidays, unless the fifth day falls upon a weekend or holiday and unless additional time is requested on behalf of the respondent. The order must also direct that the respondent be brought before a justice of the peace with the respondent's counsel to be advised of the respondent's constitutional rights, the respondent's rights under this part, and the contents of the clerk's order, as well as to furnish the respondent with a copy. The justice of the peace shall ascertain the desires of the respondent with respect to the appointment of counsel, and this information must be immediately communicated to the resident judge. The resident judge may appoint other counsel, may confer with respondent's counsel and the county attorney in order to appoint a friend of respondent, and may do all things necessary through the clerk of court by telephone as if the resident judge were personally present.

53-21-123. Examination of respondent following initial hearing -- recommendation of professional person. (1) Following the initial hearing, whether before a judge or justice of the peace, the respondent must be examined by the professional person without unreasonable delay. The examination may not exceed a period of 4 hours. The professional person shall immediately notify the county attorney of the findings in person or by phone and shall make a written report of the examination to the court, with copies to the respondent's attorney and the county attorney. If the professional person recommends commitment, the professional person's written report must contain a statement of the professional person's recommendations to the court for disposition under 53-21-127.

(2) The following action must be taken based on the professional person's findings:

(a) If the professional person recommends dismissal, the professional person shall additionally notify counsel and the respondent must be released and the petition dismissed. However, the county attorney may, upon good cause shown, request the court to order an additional, but no more than one, examination by a different professional person for a period of no more than 4 hours.

(b) If the court finds that commitment proceedings should continue, the hearing must be held as scheduled.

(3) The court may not order further evaluation pending the hearing unless sound medical reasons require additional time for a complete evaluation. The reasons must be set forth in the order, along with the amount of additional time needed.

53-21-124. Detention of respondent pending hearing or trial -- jail prohibited. (1) The court may not order detention of a respondent pending the hearing unless requested by the county attorney and upon the existence of probable cause for detention. Counsel must be orally notified immediately. Counsel for the respondent may then request a detention hearing, which must be held immediately.

(2) In the event of detention, the respondent must be detained in the least restrictive setting necessary to ensure the respondent's presence and ensure the safety of the respondent and of others as provided in 53-21-120.

(3) If the respondent is detained, the respondent has the right to be examined additionally by a professional person of the respondent's choice, which may not depend on the respondent's ability to pay, and the respondent must be informed of this right. Unless objection is made by counsel for the respondent, the respondent must continue to be evaluated and treated by the professional person pending the hearing.

(4) A respondent may not be detained in a jail or other correctional facility pending a hearing or trial to determine whether the respondent should be committed to a mental health facility.

53-21-125. Request for jury trial. At any time prior to the date set for hearing, the respondent, through his counsel, may request a jury trial, whereupon the time set for hearing shall be vacated and the matter set on the court's jury calendar at the earliest date possible, the matter taking precedence over all other matters. If there is not a jury in attendance, a jury shall be selected in the manner provided in 3-15-506 and a date set for trial by jury not later than 7 days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.

53-21-126. Trial or hearing on petition. (1) The respondent must be present unless the respondent's presence has been waived as provided in 53-21-119(2), and the respondent must be represented by counsel at all stages of the trial. The trial must be limited to the determination of whether or not the respondent is suffering from a mental disorder and requires commitment. At the trial, the court shall consider all the facts relevant to the issues of whether the respondent is suffering from a mental disorder. If the court determines that the respondent is suffering from a mental disorder, the court shall then determine whether the respondent requires commitment. In determining whether the respondent requires commitment and the appropriate disposition under 53-21-127, the court shall consider the following:

(a) whether the respondent, because of a mental disorder, is substantially unable to provide for the respondent's own basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, health, or safety;

(b) whether the respondent has recently, because of a mental disorder and through an act or an omission, caused self-injury or injury to others;

(c) whether, because of a mental disorder, there is an imminent threat of injury to the respondent or to others because of the respondent's acts or omissions; and

(d) whether the respondent's mental disorder, as demonstrated by the respondent's recent acts or omissions, will, if untreated, predictably result in deterioration of the respondent's mental condition to the point at which the respondent will become a danger to self or to others or will be unable to provide for the respondent's own basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, health, or safety. Predictability may be established by the respondent's relevant medical history.

(2) The standard of proof in a hearing held pursuant to this section is proof beyond a reasonable doubt with respect to any physical facts or evidence and clear and convincing evidence as to all other matters. However, the respondent's mental disorder must be proved to a reasonable medical certainty. Imminent threat of self-inflicted injury or injury to others must be proved by overt acts or omissions, sufficiently recent in time as to be material and relevant as to the respondent's present condition.

(3) The professional person appointed by the court must be present for the trial and subject to cross-examination. The trial is governed by the Montana Rules of Civil Procedure. However, if the issues are tried by a jury, at least two-thirds of the jurors shall concur on a finding that the respondent is suffering from a mental disorder and requires commitment. The written report of the professional person that indicates the professional person's diagnosis may be attached to the petition, but any matter otherwise inadmissible, such as hearsay matter, is not admissible merely because it is contained in the report. The court may order the trial closed to the public for the protection of the respondent.

(4) The professional person may testify as to the ultimate issue of whether the respondent is suffering from a mental disorder and requires commitment. This testimony is insufficient unless accompanied by evidence from the professional person or others that:

(a) the respondent, because of a mental disorder, is substantially unable to provide for the respondent's own basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, health, or safety;

(b) the respondent has recently, because of a mental disorder and through an act or an omission, caused self-injury or injury to others;

(c) because of a mental disorder, there is an imminent threat of injury to the respondent or to others because of the respondent's acts or omissions; or

(d) (i) the respondent's mental disorder:

(A) has resulted in recent acts, omissions, or behaviors that create difficulty in protecting the respondent's life or health;

(B) is treatable, with a reasonable prospect of success;

(C) has resulted in the respondent's refusing or being unable to consent to voluntary admission for treatment; and

(ii) will, if untreated, predictably result in deterioration of the respondent's mental condition to the point at which the respondent will become a danger to self or to others or will be unable to provide for the respondent's own basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, health, or safety. Predictability may be established by the respondent's relevant medical history.

(5) The court, upon the showing of good cause and when it is in the best interests of the respondent, may order a change of venue.

http://www.psychlaws.org/LegalResources ... tatute.htm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »
And those are rights for someone 'seriously' mentally ill... what if you jsut smoked pot a few times, were delinquent?  Not even a threat to others or yourself...(despite MMS's push to convince us all we would end up in JAIL, DEAD, OR INSANE)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
53-21-117. Right to representation by own attorney. The respondent or the friend of respondent appointed by the court may secure an attorney of his own choice and at his own expense to represent the respondent.

53-21-118. Right to examination by professional person of own choosing. (1) The respondent, his attorney, or the friend of respondent appointed by the court may secure a professional person of his own choice to examine the respondent and to testify at the hearing before the court or jury as to the results of his examination.

(2) If the person wishing to secure the testimony of a professional person is unable to do so because of financial reasons and if the respondent joins in the request for the examination, the court shall appoint a professional person other than the professional person requesting the commitment to perform the examination. Whenever possible, the court shall allow the respondent a reasonable choice of an available professional person qualified to perform the requested examination who will be compensated from the public funds of the county where the respondent resides.

53-21-119. Waiver of rights. (1) A person may waive his rights, or if the person is not capable of making an intentional and knowing decision, these rights may be waived by his counsel and friend of respondent acting together if a record is made of the reasons for the waiver. The right to counsel may not be waived. The right to treatment provided for in this part may not be waived.

(2) The right of the respondent to be physically present at a hearing may also be waived by his attorney and the friend of respondent with the concurrence of the professional person and the judge upon a finding supported by facts that:

(a) the presence of the respondent at the hearing would be likely to seriously adversely affect his mental condition; and

(b) an alternative location for the hearing in surroundings familiar to the respondent would not prevent such adverse effects on his mental condition.

(3) (a) In the case of a minor, provided that a record is made of the reasons for the waiver, his rights may be waived by the mutual consent of his counsel and parents or guardian or guardian ad litem if there are no parents or guardian.

(b) If there is an apparent conflict of interest between a minor and his parents or guardian, the court shall appoint a guardian ad litem for him.

53-21-120. Detention to be in least restrictive environment -- preference for mental health facility -- court relief -- prehearing detention of mentally ill person prohibited. (1) A person detained pursuant to this part must be detained in the least restrictive environment required to protect the life and physical safety of the person detained or members of the public; in this respect, prevention of significant injury to property may be considered.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »
TOTO, WE'RE NOT AT MMS ANY MORE-  I never saw this available or these rights granted (b/c MMS is unregulated)- yet MMs comes very close to acting as a behavioral inaptient facility as defined below given it advertises that it accepts those with mental illness and co-disoreders (addiction- or possible- more likely- addictive behaviors)- only it's unlicensed- In other words, any fool can open up shop and call themselves Mission Mountian Schoool:

2) "Behavioral health inpatient facility" means a licensed facility of 16 beds or less designated by the department that:

(a) may be a freestanding licensed hospital or a distinct part of another licensed hospital and that is capable of providing inpatient psychiatric services, including services to persons with mental illness and co-occurring chemical dependency; and

2) Each mental health facility shall publish policies and procedures that define the facility's guidelines for detecting, reporting, investigating, determining the validity, and resolving allegations of abuse or neglect.
10) "Mental health facility" or "facility" means .... a residential treatment facility, or a residential treatment center licensed or certified by the department that provides treatment to children or adults with a mental disorder.

(11) "Mental health professional" means:
OF WHICH JOHN IS NOT:
(a) a certified professional person;

(b) a physician licensed under Title 37, chapter 3;

(c) a professional counselor licensed under Title 37, chapter 23;

(d) a psychologist licensed under Title 37, chapter 17;

(e) a social worker licensed under Title 37, chapter 22; or

(12) (a) "Neglect" means failure to provide for the biological and psychosocial needs of any person receiving treatment in a mental health facility, failure to report abuse, or failure to exercise supervisory responsibilities to protect patients from abuse and neglect.

(i) deprivation of food, shelter, appropriate clothing, nursing care, or other services;

(ii) failure to follow a prescribed plan of care and treatment; or

MMS DID NOT PROIDE US WITH A MENTAL DISABILITIES BOARD TO ENSURE OUR SAFETY AND THAT WE WERE TREATED HUMANELY

53-21-104. Powers and duties of mental disabilities board of visitors. (1) The board is an independent board of inquiry and review that is responsible to ensure that the treatment of all persons either voluntarily or involuntarily admitted to a mental facility in Montana is humane, is consistent with established clinical and other professional standards, and meets the requirements set forth in this part.

(2) The board shall review all plans for experimental research involving persons admitted to a mental health facility to ensure that each research project is humane and not unduly hazardous and that it complies with the principles of the statement on the use of human subjects for research of the American association on mental deficiency and with the principles for research involving human subjects required by the United States department of health and human services. An activity considered to be an experimental research project and that involves a person or persons admitted to a mental health facility affected by this part may not be commenced unless it is approved by the mental disabilities board of visitors.

(3) (a) The board shall inspect every mental health facility that provides treatment or evaluation to any person pursuant to this part.

(b) The board shall annually establish a schedule for the inspection of mental health facilities that enables the board to meet its obligation under subsection (1).

THIS SECTION GOES ON AND ON, BUT ESSENTIALY THE GIST OF IT IS THAT THE RECORDS THAT THESE INSPECTIONS AND RECORDS ARE TO BE MADE PUBLIC.  IF MMS HAD ANYTHING LIKE THIS, MUCH OF THE STUFF THAT WENT ON THERE AND, AS I UNDERSTAND IT, CONTINUES TO GO ON, WOULD BE (LIKELY) CAUGHT UNDER THIS BOARDS SCRUTINY AND INSPECTION.  

(7) (a) If the board believes that any facility is failing to comply with the provisions of this part in regard to its physical facilities or its treatment of any person, it shall report its findings in writing to the professional person in charge of the facility and the director of the department.

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE- GIVEN JOHN'S LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY AND AFFILIATION AT MMS, BUT HIS OBVIOUS LACK OF EDUCATION- THIS WOULD NIP THAT IN THE BUD.  tHERE'S JUST NO WAY JOHN WOULD BE 'DIRECTOR' OF ANY PROGRAM GIVEN HIS LACK OF EDUCATION/CREDENTIALS, ETC ETC.  AND ONE WOULD HOPE, THE OPPOSITION GIVEN HIS MISTREATMENT OF MANY OF US.  IF MMS WERE LEGIT, JOHN WOULD NOT BE RUNNING THAT FACILITY

53-21-107. Abuse and neglect of persons admitted to mental health facility prohibited -- reporting -- investigations. (1) Any form of abuse or neglect of a person admitted to a mental health facility is prohibited.

(2) Each mental health facility shall publish policies and procedures that define the facility's guidelines for detecting, reporting, investigating, determining the validity, and resolving allegations of abuse or neglect.

(4) Each mental health facility shall provide a mechanism for reporting allegations of abuse or neglect that in no way deters or discourages an individual from reporting the allegations. ****
UMMM, HOW'S NO UNRESTRICTED ACCESS TO PHONES OR ADVOCATES OR PARENTS (OR PARENTS TOLD NOT TO BELEIVE YOU B/C YOU'RE MANIPULATIVE), CALLED 'MMS BASHER' WHEN CRITICAL, CALLED 'MANIUPULATIVE' WHEN CRITICAL, FORCED TO WORK OR EXCERCISE- PUNISHED IN SOME WAY OR PLACED ON INTERVENTION B/C OF CREATING AN 'UNDERGROUND' WHICH MEANS SPEAKING FREELY ABOUT THE SCHOOL A NON-DETERRENT.  WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN MISTREATMENT IS PART OF 'THE PROGRAM'--- WELL, JOHN'S PROGRAM?

(2) The department, with reference to recognized national standards in the field of mental health, shall adopt standards and rules governing the certification of professional persons as defined in 53-21-102.

(3) The rules for certification must address but are not limited to:

(d) an examination instrument to be used to determine an individual's proficiency and understanding of mental health laws, diagnosis, and treatment procedures;

(e) the procedure for categorical certification qualifying the level of professional authority and responsibility of an individual; and

RIGHT TO COUNSEL- WHICH OF COURSE WAS NOT AFFORDED TO US BY MMS

(4) Except as provided by this subsection, voluntary admission of a minor to a mental health facility for an inpatient course of treatment is for the same period of time as that for an adult. A minor voluntarily admitted with consent of the minor's parent or guardian has the right to be released within 5 days of a request by the parent or guardian as provided in 53-21-111(3). A minor who has been admitted without consent by a parent or guardian, pursuant to subsection (2), may also make a request and also has the right to be released within 5 days as provided in 53-21-111(3). Unless there has been a periodic review and a voluntary readmission consented to by the parent or guardian in the case of a minor patient or consented to by the minor alone in the case of a minor patient who is at least 16 years of age, voluntary admission terminates at the expiration of 1 year. Counsel must be appointed for the minor at the minor's request or at any time that the minor is faced with potential legal proceedings.

53-21-114. Notice of rights to be given. (1) Whenever a person is involuntarily detained pursuant to 53-21-121 through 53-21-126, the person shall at the time of detention be informed of his constitutional rights and his rights under this part. Within 3 days of such detention, he must also be informed in writing by the county attorney of such rights.

(2) Every respondent subject to an order for short-term treatment or long-term care and treatment shall be advised in writing of his right to appeal the order by the court at the conclusion of any hearing the result of which such an order may be entered.

EVEN THE LAW IS CONSISTENT WITH WHAT MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS UNDERSTAND- THAT LEAST RESTRICTIVE IS BETTER... BECAUSE OUR PARENTS OVER-REACTED OR HAD NO LOCAL COMMUNITY BASED ALTERNATIVE- OR IT HASN'T DEVELOPED YET, MANY OF US WERE UNECCESARILY LOCKED UP... THINGS LIKE DIGNITY AND RESEPECT AND DEVELOPMENT OF SOCIAL SKILLS THAT DON'T FORM WHEN YOU'RE RESTRICTIVELY DETAINED

2) Whenever possible, a person detained pursuant to this part must be detained in a mental health facility and in the county of residence. If the person detained demands a jury trial and the trial cannot be held within 7 days, subject to the provisions in 53-21-193, the individual may be sent to the state hospital or a behavioral health inpatient facility until the time of trial if arrangements can be made to return the person to trial. The trial must be held within 30 days. The county of residence shall pay the cost of travel and professional services associated with the trial. A person may not be detained in any hospital or other medical facility that is not a mental health facility unless the hospital or facility has agreed in writing to admit the person.

TO BE INVOLUNTARYLY DETAINED THE FOLLOWING MUST BE PROVEN:

The trial must be limited to the determination of whether or not the respondent is suffering from a mental disorder and requires commitment

a) whether the respondent, because of a mental disorder, is substantially unable to provide for the respondent's own basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, health, or safety;

(b) whether the respondent has recently, because of a mental disorder and through an act or an omission, caused self-injury or injury to others;

(c) whether, because of a mental disorder, there is an imminent threat of injury to the respondent or to others because of the respondent's acts or omissions; and

.... CONTINUES FROM ABOVE... BASICALLY WE KNOW MOST OF HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEAVE MMS AT ANY MOMENT.

Offline poncho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
On 2006-04-09 17:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-09 14:01:00, poncho wrote:

I have never had all of those rights in any facility I've been in.

Really??  I beleive all mental heatlh facilities are required to provide you with access to an advocate, ability to contest placement and access to payphone and visitors... perhaps you are reffering to unregulated facilities, which find the loop hole in the law by calling themseleves something else.

This is true of every psych ward at least."

I have been in regulated psych wards and we were given copies of rights and policies, however being under 18 we had to have a phone list and call only people on that list which was decided by parents. Visitors also had to be over a certain age. Exceptions could be made if Dr. ordered. Some magazines were restricted. Mail was not censored but was opened with supervision in case of contriband. Also with any psych ward belongings that could be used to harm were locked up and signed out. Patients weren't allowed outside unless they were safe enough to do so. I'm not sure the accuracy of those rights for minors. Of course anything can be taken to court, but for them most part parents make the decsions. Its easier for a parent to get a court order for one to stay in a facility, then for a minor to get one to leave. I have seen those rights given to adults. I'm really wondering the loop poles with those rights applying to minors. Obviously our rights were infringed upon at mms which was mostly allowed to be done because it was unregulated.
I think there is more to it because at mms if you were under  18 and ran away then it could be pursued by the police. If you were over 18 then nothing could be done about it.
Although I just remembered something. that may be true because your parents sign a form to make MMS a legal guardian. I wonder if that has to do with anything.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »
MMS as legal gaurdian I suppose may be held to different standards, that is they don't have to prove they are really practicing therapy bc technically they are not a 'residential treatment facility'- so you're not being 'placed' in a mental health facility- but given the level of restriction, it's far worse than that becasue they are simply locking kids up, essentially.  Running them ragged, punishing them and pretending to practice therapy...well, in instances where John is invovled.

I guess it's akin to being in an abusive home, where you're grounded for 2 years.  The problem is that kids don't 'want' to runaway because, I suspect, most kids, like parents believe John's yells and work outs/workcrew is 'therapeutic' despite this being unfound and his methods proven harmful, given they follow the boot camp intimidation/punitive approach. Then we are all convinved it's our 'last chance'-- none of us are/were bad kids, I think we mostly wanted love and understanding and to get along in the world... so we stick around, fearing losing the love of our family forever, or perhaps never recovering...  But, if we were to have runaway and explained the abusive nature, then someone would have to investigate.  The nature of the environement and all it's insidious manipulation makes that extremely difficult.... if people run, they run as fast as they can... b/c they fail to recognize the abusive elements or fear not being beleived or that it would be accepted as a work camp, essentially... which is, in part, what it is.  Nothing wrong with that if it weren't so excessive and used in the way it was- taken alone much of what MMS is isn't awful- but it's the coercion and the system of rewards and punishment for non-disclosue as 'therapeutic'... just all the made up shit and the justification, MMS as a whole and it's execution is an extremely harmful sham.

And we can just see now how things are, no one can work with John... the man is a tyrant.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 17:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

But, if we were to have runaway and explained the abusive nature, then someone would have to investigate.  The nature of the environement and all it's insidious manipulation makes that extremely difficult.... they fail to recognize the abusive elements or fear not being beleived or that it would be accepted as a work camp, essentially... which is, in part, what it is.  

And we can just see now how things are, no one can work with John... the man is a tyrant."

Your right, it's John's manipulation.  He is so full of shit and he messes with people's heads, it's sickening!  Playing favorites, narcissism, all of it.  What do you know while you're there, but that you can get out.  Too young to put into words what's happening, but I think at some level we all knew something was wrong, even if we were forced to say otherwise. The weird thing was how long it takes to recover from that and calm yourself down to speak the truth.  That's the mind fuck right there, 100%

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 03:12:00 AM »
Out of sheer curiousity... how long ago did u attend MMS? And for how long?