Author Topic: reading students mail  (Read 5172 times)

Offline odie

• View Profile
reading students mail
« on: April 03, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Does anybody know how HLA gets around United States Postal Regulations by opening and screening resident's mail for content and appropriateness as they say they do on their website? As  read the regulations this is forbidden and carries both fines and incarceration for each offense.
http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/usc18/

I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say that one is an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or agnostic. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.
--Isaac Asimov, Russian-born American author

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
die

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
Short answer?  They just do it.  This is not the only law/regulation they flout.

They're well-connected with SACS (Len's four buddies just did a site visit and recertified HLA as a "traditional boarding school" even though they are obviously no such thing) and ORS, so even if complaints are made, they are derailed.

Do you have any suggestions on how to bring to bear the appropriate enforcement agency?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
Section 1702. Obstruction of correspondence
Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Section 1703. Delay or destruction of mail or newspapers
(a) Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, unlawfully secretes, destroys, detains, delays, or opens any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail entrusted to them or which shall come into his or her possession, and which was intended to be conveyed by mail, or carried or delivered by any carrier or other employee of the Postal Service, or forwarded through or delivered from any post office or station thereof established by authority of the Postmaster General or the Postal Service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(b) Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, improperly detains, delays, or destroys any newspaper, or permits any other person to detain, delay, or destroy the same, or opens, or permits any other person to open, any mail or package of newspapers not directed to the office of employment; or

Whoever, without authority, opens, or destroys any mail or package of newspapers not directed to them, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

The statutes being violated by HLA.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline odie

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »
Unless they are now also claiming to be a correctional facility nobody can open another person's mail without a federal search warrant. Oh and you can't force someone to sign one of those neat little consent to open forms either as a lot of these programs do as a requirement for acceptance into their program. Complaints can be made to the local post inspector or a report may be filed online at:
https://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/m ... ntrcvd.htm

I swear by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
http://lfb.com/?stocknumber=AR5564&code=10247' target='_new'>* - ~ Galt's Creed ~ - *

die

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »
Thank you, Odie, for your research and responses.

The complaints will be forthcoming.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline SHH

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
Not sure this matters with the law but I wonder if it matters legally whether or not the person is a minor. I got the impression that it was only adults who's mail was not allowed to be opened by someone else. Anybody care to find out this aspect of it? im just curious because there are other parts of law that are moot if the person is a minor.

Offline juniper2

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »
not sure about minors, but the parents,siblings and grandparents letters were opened and edited..Packages were not given to children for weeks on end...Letters were late because
counselors held them up due to negligence...

Offline juniper2

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
Also, for many of us, the complaint would be filed 'post' HLA...that would not work, would it?

Offline juniper2

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
Okay, I just sent an inquiry to the USPS, they shall get back to me within 1 or 2 days...Hopefully, this branch of the Federal
Gov't Lenny B. does not have clout with...Although, as with the Semblers, knowing Bush reaches far...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
How about HLA attempts to violate lawyer client privlidge?

The staff worked hard to not only read but censor my letters to and from my attorney while there.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
reading students mail
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
That's weird. The postal inspector's office used to have the entire code available and searchable online. Now all you get is this stupid poster:

Wherever the standard of freedom and Independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will [America's] heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.

--John Quincy Adams, Speech to the U.S. House of Representatives [July 4, 1821]

`80 - `82
return undef() if /coercion/i;[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-04-03 16:53 ]
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 05:19:00 AM »
our esteemed government changes inconvenient web pages all the time.

Since the King has declared he can do whatever he pleases, searching mail has got to be on his list of important things to do, to save us from "terrorists"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »
Yeh, those teen "emotional terrorists" (Rudy Bentz)

Offline odie

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »
On 2006-04-03 15:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"How about HLA attempts to violate lawyer client privlidge?

The staff worked hard to not only read but censor my letters to and from my attorney while there. "

Wow! If this is true then Q and Q really have their work cut out. Anybody else notice the HLA website is down?

Peace and abstinence from European interferences are our objects, and so will continue while the present order of things in America remain uninterrupted.
--Thomas Jefferson

die

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
reading students mail
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
I did, I wonder what thats about.