Author Topic: Hyde School Woodstock Headmaster Leaving???  (Read 14397 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde School Woodstock Headmaster Leaving???
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
"Sorry it did not work for yours, but like they say in AA it doesn't work unless YOU work it."

EXACTLY!!  Hyde works like AA.  This is fine, but advertise it for what it is, a program, not a school
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
It's interesting that you find, humiliating someone in public acceptable behavior from a school that advertises itself as Character Building.

Listen, I can't speak for the other guy posting, but I certainly am not a baby and have tolerated much worse in my life than Hyde, but Hyde's ways are very Cult Like and can be destructive to kids who have serious problems.  In my case it didn't screw me up, but I did see where some families were emotionally hurt by Hyde.  I will never forget the day when a Facilitator pushed a woman over the edge to the point where I understand she had a breakdown.  This womans care needed to be in the hands of a professional, not some Hyde graduate trying to act like a psychologist.

I do understand some of what you are saying in regards to people needing to toughen up, but I also understand why some former parents and students are bitter about Hyde.  They do go over the top as far as I am concerned.  What stands out the most to me is their false advertising about what they stand for and what a Hyde education is.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
On 2006-04-01 10:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It's interesting that you find, humiliating someone in public acceptable behavior from a school that advertises itself as Character Building.

Listen, I can't speak for the other guy posting, but I certainly am not a baby and have tolerated much worse in my life than Hyde, but Hyde's ways are very Cult Like and can be destructive to kids who have serious problems.  In my case it didn't screw me up, but I did see where some families were emotionally hurt by Hyde.  I will never forget the day when a Facilitator pushed a woman over the edge to the point where I understand she had a breakdown.  This womans care needed to be in the hands of a professional, not some Hyde graduate trying to act like a psychologist.

I do understand some of what you are saying in regards to people needing to toughen up, but I also understand why some former parents and students are bitter about Hyde.  They do go over the top as far as I am concerned.  What stands out the most to me is their false advertising about what they stand for and what a Hyde education is."

I'm with you on this one.  Maybe it's true that some people at Hyde need to toughen up.  What I can't accept are the many times I've seen people who work at Hyde humiliate other people in the name of "character education."  Don't they realize that this sort of behavior is a bizarre interpretation of "character"?  Does it make any sense at all to shame and humiliate people as a standard part of the Hyde model (I've seen it happen many times in seminars, hallway encounters, FLCs, etc.) and call this "character education"?  

I believe in character education.  I don't believe that Hyde knows how to do it with integrity, honesty, and humility, despite its advertisements.  Maybe some of you have experienced a different Hyde than I have.  If that's so, you should wear your shoe and I'll wear mine.  If my shoe doesn't fit your foot, don't wear it, okay?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
Very well said.  When you speak of shame and humiliation I think back to my childhood and the couple of things that took hold and effected me the rest of my life. I am not a psychologist, but I know it is not good to feel such shame and humiliation especially in front of an audience.  It reminds me of a movie I saw portraying Jim Jones and his followers.

I think Hyde could be a good program if it were run by outsiders who are not related to the Gaulds and who would start out fresh rather than having the effects of living at Hyde all of their lives as many of their leaders have. In fact we need more schools with good character education, but not in the way Hyde does it and not operated by administrators who have serious emotional afflictions themselves.  If Hyde wants to run this like a treatment program, then let them say this, and let them hire professional counselors, but if they are going to continue to operate as "Character Education" then they have a lot to learn in order to be effective.

PLEASE parents, do your homework, talk to former parents and students who are NOT listed on Hyde's recommendation sheet before you enroll your child there.  If you simply want to dump your kid off at a place that will have structure, very poor education and completely dysfunctional people raising your child, then Hyde is the place for you!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
On 2006-04-01 13:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Very well said.  When you speak of shame and humiliation I think back to my childhood and the couple of things that took hold and effected me the rest of my life. I am not a psychologist, but I know it is not good to feel such shame and humiliation especially in front of an audience.  It reminds me of a movie I saw portraying Jim Jones and his followers.

I think Hyde could be a good program if it were run by outsiders who are not related to the Gaulds and who would start out fresh rather than having the effects of living at Hyde all of their lives as many of their leaders have. In fact we need more schools with good character education, but not in the way Hyde does it and not operated by administrators who have serious emotional afflictions themselves.  If Hyde wants to run this like a treatment program, then let them say this, and let them hire professional counselors, but if they are going to continue to operate as "Character Education" then they have a lot to learn in order to be effective.

PLEASE parents, do your homework, talk to former parents and students who are NOT listed on Hyde's recommendation sheet before you enroll your child there.  If you simply want to dump your kid off at a place that will have structure, very poor education and completely dysfunctional people raising your child, then Hyde is the place for you!  "

It is much better to live in a funk than be shocked out of it. The fact is that Hyde will not let you just drop your kid off.  The parents must be involved in the process.  If you want to be guided by the dysfunctional liten to the folk(s) posting hear telling you that hyde is bad.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »
On 2006-04-01 14:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"Very well said.  When you speak of shame and humiliation I think back to my childhood and the couple of things that took hold and effected me the rest of my life. I am not a psychologist, but I know it is not good to feel such shame and humiliation especially in front of an audience.  It reminds me of a movie I saw portraying Jim Jones and his followers.

PLEASE parents, do your homework, talk to former parents and students who are NOT listed on Hyde's recommendation sheet before you enroll your child there.  If you simply want to dump your kid off at a place that will have structure, very poor education and completely dysfunctional people raising your child, then Hyde is the place for you!  "

It is much better to live in a funk than be shocked out of it. The fact is that Hyde will not let you just drop your kid off.  The parents must be involved in the process.  If you want to be guided by the dysfunctional liten to the folk(s) posting hear telling you that hyde is bad.

"

It's true.  Parents must be involved in the Hyde process.  What they don't tell you is that you have to be prepared to be shamed and humilated by Hyde staff and some alumni parents while you're involved in the Hyde process.  Some parents manage to avoid this either by buying in to the Hyde cult or by playing the Hyde game and flying under the radar.  But any parent who challenges Hyde should be prepared to be subjected to all manner of finger pointing, lectures, sermon, and humiliation.  That's Hyde's version of character education, a la Joe Gauld and company.  It's a trip.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
On 2006-04-01 14:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

It's true.  Parents must be involved in the Hyde process.  What they don't tell you is that you have to be prepared to be shamed and humilated by Hyde staff and some alumni parents while you're involved in the Hyde process.  Some parents manage to avoid this either by buying in to the Hyde cult or by playing the Hyde game and flying under the radar.  But any parent who challenges Hyde should be prepared to be subjected to all manner of finger pointing, lectures, sermon, and humiliation.  That's Hyde's version of character education, a la Joe Gauld and company.  It's a trip."

In order to change you have to reach a teachable moment.  To be teachable you must be humble. It takes differnt things for different people. If you are not interested in growth and change by all means dont become involved with hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
On 2006-04-02 07:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

"

It's true.  Parents must be involved in the Hyde process.  What they don't tell you is that you have to be prepared to be shamed and humilated by Hyde staff and some alumni parents while you're involved in the Hyde process.  Some parents manage to avoid this either by buying in to the Hyde cult or by playing the Hyde game and flying under the radar.  But any parent who challenges Hyde should be prepared to be subjected to all manner of finger pointing, lectures, sermon, and humiliation.  That's Hyde's version of character education, a la Joe Gauld and company.  It's a trip."

In order to change you have to reach a teachable moment.  To be teachable you must be humble. It takes differnt things for different people. If you are not interested in growth and change by all means dont become involved with hyde."

You're absolutely right when you say that "to be teachable you must be humble."  Hyde says that everyone in the community must be willing to learn, to be teachable.  One of Hyde's fundamental problems is that while some people in the community are indeed humble, too many are not.  There are simply too many glaring contradictions at Hyde, primarily including a number of very visible and vocal administrators and staff who are just the opposite of humble.  Staff who shame, humiliate, denigrate and belittle students and parents are not humble.  There's no question that too much of that occurs at Hyde - no question at all.  Once Hyde rids itself of that quality, perhaps it will be a healthy environment that lives up to the ideals and principles that hang from the banners on the walls.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »
On 2006-04-02 08:12:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-02 07:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

"

In order to change you have to reach a teachable moment.  To be teachable you must be humble. It takes differnt things for different people. If you are not interested in growth and change by all means dont become involved with hyde."

You're absolutely right when you say that "to be teachable you must be humble."  Hyde says that everyone in the community must be willing to learn, to be teachable.  One of Hyde's fundamental problems is that while some people in the community are indeed humble, too many are not.  There are simply too many glaring contradictions at Hyde, primarily including a number of very visible and vocal administrators and staff who are just the opposite of humble.  Staff who shame, humiliate, denigrate and belittle students and parents are not humble.  There's no question that too much of that occurs at Hyde - no question at all.  Once Hyde rids itself of that quality, perhaps it will be a healthy environment that lives up to the ideals and principles that hang from the banners on the walls."

O.K. so how does Hyde deal with some one that is outside the community norms?  Shunning is a time honored practice in closed communities. see:
http://www.800padutch.com/atafaq.shtml#shun
The justification _is_ from the teachings of Paul which I am some times less then sanguine about.  But he was a well meaning fellow and the road to demascus story made a wonderful Caravaggio painting:
http://www.christusrex.org/www2/art/images/carav14.jpg
which in turn provided the archatype for Piccasso's piece of the senselessness and horror of war:
http://www.abcgallery.com/P/picasso/picasso34.html

No One Special

Offline StephenLong

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »
Once again I see a number of people (or could it just be one person having a conversation with him or herself?) whining and making outrageous statements without identifying themselves.

How can anyone take any of you seriously when none of you are willing to back up your statements, innuendoes, and accusations by stating your name?

I am saddened by the lack of integrity, maybe thatÕs why you all probably washed out.

Stephen Long
Hyde '81
uckPondDiver

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
Also take note, that a lot of the people in the forum are complaining about lack of professional psycho help....
It is a FACT that there are a bunch of Hyde-Basher parents on this site that are indeed Psychologists, Psychiatrists and Ed. Consults whose kids ended up at Hyde and left in dismay!
If it don't work at home...it ain't gonna work at Hyde!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »
On 2006-04-03 10:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Also take note, that a lot of the people in the forum are complaining about lack of professional psycho help....

It is a FACT that there are a bunch of Hyde-Basher parents on this site that are indeed Psychologists, Psychiatrists and Ed. Consults whose kids ended up at Hyde and left in dismay!

If it don't work at home...it ain't gonna work at Hyde!"

FYI: I am a parent whose child had a terrible experience at Hyde.  We were very unimpressed with the school, especially after working very hard to give Hyde a chance, participating in the seminars, etc.  And, I am NOT a psychologist, psychiatrist, or educational consultant.  Neither is my spouse.  That wasn't our situation at all.  Hyde turned out to be a very negative environment for all of us.  We're still recovering from the scars.  

If the shoe fits, wear it; otherwise, throw it away.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
New Head of School for the Woodstock campus!! - I just received a form letter from Malcolm Gauld announcing that..........Laura Gauld will be taking over as Head of School in Woodstock in June.

And so the professional incest continues unabated!!

Hooray for the Gaulds and their Board of Governors!! Let's just keep it all in the family......

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »
Laurea Gauld is AWESOME and will do wonders for Hyde-Light

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
On 2006-04-13 11:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"New Head of School for the Woodstock campus!! - I just received a form letter from Malcolm Gauld announcing that..........Laura Gauld will be taking over as Head of School in Woodstock in June.

And so the professional incest continues unabated!!

Hooray for the Gaulds and their Board of Governors!! Let's just keep it all in the family......"

Is that the fruit of Joe's loins, Mrs Paul Hurd or has then been some Gauld breeding that I am unaware of?

sue doenym