Author Topic: hyde is great  (Read 34408 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2007, 02:34:27 AM »
One of my enduring memories of Joe is the school meeting that summer where Joe for some reason blew a fuse and started to rant. "You people smell like Westbrook! Westbrook! Get you of here. Get out of here. I don't want to smell you any more."  and he was spitting, standing at the edge of the stage and spitting as he spoke.  I will never forget it.  
That was the thing that was freaky about him: you could never tell which way he was going to go.  Was he happy? Was he sad?  Was he angry?  You just could not tell.  He would start one way and then BANG massive mood swing and he would be ranting or crying.
[/quote]

I don't remember the Westbrook rant. I never paid any attention to the content of those meetings. I was too focused on keeping my eyes open. A few minutes of listening to Joe was enough to make me feel as if I had been deprived of sleep for days. What a bore! What fifth-rate theatrics instead of an education. Like listening to Goebbels.  

I'm happy that Hyde worked for you. I suppose Hitler Youth helped some kids too. "Character education" is a pretext for one very stupid, cruel, and disturbed individual to feel empowered. Year in year out, Joe Gauld empowers a nucleus of families --- the lowest common denominator --- who indoctrinize the rest in an environment of fear and intimidation. What percentage of families walk away from Hyde feeling they have been healed? What percentage feel cheated?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2007, 07:09:24 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
One of my enduring memories of Joe is the school meeting that summer where Joe for some reason blew a fuse and started to rant. "You people smell like Westbrook! Westbrook! Get you of here. Get out of here. I don't want to smell you any more."  and he was spitting, standing at the edge of the stage and spitting as he spoke.  I will never forget it.  
That was the thing that was freaky about him: you could never tell which way he was going to go.  Was he happy? Was he sad?  Was he angry?  You just could not tell.  He would start one way and then BANG massive mood swing and he would be ranting or crying.

I don't remember the Westbrook rant. I never paid any attention to the content of those meetings. I was too focused on keeping my eyes open. A few minutes of listening to Joe was enough to make me feel as if I had been deprived of sleep for days. What a bore! What fifth-rate theatrics instead of an education. Like listening to Goebbels.  

I'm happy that Hyde worked for you. I suppose Hitler Youth helped some kids too. "Character education" is a pretext for one very stupid, cruel, and disturbed individual to feel empowered. Year in year out, Joe Gauld empowers a nucleus of families --- the lowest common denominator --- who indoctrinize the rest in an environment of fear and intimidation. What percentage of families walk away from Hyde feeling they have been healed? What percentage feel cheated?[/quote]

You ask key questions: What percentage of Hyde families feel they have been healed?  Cheated?  Now that I've been involved with Hyde I am convinced that a very substantial number of families feel cheated and, more importantly, abused.  Hyde is very good at sniffing out the families that buy into the Hyde kool-aid and they parade these trophy families around in order to "demonsrate" the success of the system.  It's remarkably like Castro's tactics; display the "success" stories while the masses rot.  Many other corrupt and abusive leaders do the same thing.

Your comments about Joe Gauld's mood swings take me right back to those meetings.  Joe's ups and downs are notorious and speak volumes about how inappropriate and destructive the Hyde environment  can be.  Joe's behavior almost seems like bipolar disorder, with the severe mood swings and rants.  It's so sad that many families get swept into Hyde because of their desperation, only to discover how bad it is.  Fortunately, some (not enough) find greener pastures elsewhere and bolt from Hyde on the fastest horse available.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
That is a pretty young age to die of breast cancer, even if very recent; was she genetically predisposed?

BTW, I do believe the correct spelling for her friend's name was Kathy Lampesis (or was it Lampises)?  Sorry, I don't remember.

Does anyone know what happened to Nina Carbone?

When did Nina leave?  Did she graduate run away or not come back?  I have a vague memory of her  I went looking for pictures of her and I realized I have forgot more people than I can remember. I recall her as 5'5'' with shorter curly hair.  What a drag it is getting old. I was just looking at a picture of Tod Davis BTW.  I remember he loved the Outlaws' Green Grass and High Times Forever.  
 What was the name for the girl that married Gordon Weaver?

Emil Nightrate
Nina had rather long, dark brown hair; yes, slightly curly.  I am not sure if she was there after 1976, as I heard that she got pregnant.  She married Gordon Weaver; they had a little girl.  Someone told me that things were not going well, and then Nina ran her car into a telephone pole, not to survive.  I wasn't sure whether my source was reading more into the accident than was actual.  Does anyone know any more?

Thanks  I saw Nina with Gordon at the '76 25th.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2007, 08:24:44 AM »

I'm happy that Hyde worked for you. I suppose Hitler Youth helped some kids too. "Character education" is a pretext for one very stupid, cruel, and disturbed individual to feel empowered. Year in year out, Joe Gauld empowers a nucleus of families --- the lowest common denominator --- who indoctrinize the rest in an environment of fear and intimidation. What percentage of families walk away from Hyde feeling they have been healed? What percentage feel cheated?

You ask key questions: What percentage of Hyde families feel they have been healed?  Cheated?  Now that I've been involved with Hyde I am convinced that a very substantial number of families feel cheated and, more importantly, abused.  Hyde is very good at sniffing out the families that buy into the Hyde kool-aid and they parade these trophy families around in order to "demonsrate" the success of the system.  It's remarkably like Castro's tactics; display the "success" stories while the masses rot.  Many other corrupt and abusive leaders do the same thing.

Your comments about Joe Gauld's mood swings take me right back to those meetings.  Joe's ups and downs are notorious and speak volumes about how inappropriate and destructive the Hyde environment  can be.  Joe's behavior almost seems like bipolar disorder, with the severe mood swings and rants.  It's so sad that many families get swept into Hyde because of their desperation, only to discover how bad it is.  Fortunately, some (not enough) find greener pastures elsewhere and bolt from Hyde on the fastest horse available.[/quote]

I suppose Hitler Youth helped some kids too

Yup, it worked for the Pope

What percentage feel cheated?

My mother was was not happy with the way things ended.   I was told in an exit interview by the tall texan that I would be dead by the time I was 25.  Mom's reaction was, "so why didn't they tell me this when I was writing the checks?"   They had no idea what to do with me any more then Joe knew what to do with Blache. I drank until I was 26 (Thanks Ed! javascript:emoticon(':rofl:')
javascript:emoticon(':rofl:')).  I got sober the day after the 11th anniversary of my father's death. I have been sober ever since and raised my kids in a house hold were there was no alcohol abuse. Perhaps the first generation of my fathers clan to do so.  What part did hyde have in this.  It is hard to say.  As I said before it certainly was not by didactic intent,  because they clearly did not know what to do with me when I was there.  It is funny that you metion Nina because she brought me to an AA meeting.  So I would have to say Nina had at least as much with my growth in a good direction as anything else at Hyde did.
 My friends mother grew up on High St in Bath.  She played with the hyde kids ( children of the Hydes that owned the shipyard)  I told him one day that I went to Hyde.  His jaw hit his chest. "YOU when to Hyde?!" He said.  "I never would have guessed.  My Mother used to threaten me with hyde when I was bad" I have become reticent to mention my secondary education.  I tend to metion that I have a BS magna cum in Engineering.  Did I mention that?   Well I do.

Emil Nightrate

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »
Emil,

Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently clear. When I wrote, ""Character education" is a pretext for one very stupid, cruel, and disturbed individual to feel empowered," I was referring to Joe Gauld. I didn't mean you or any other Hyde parent or child. I apologize for any misunderstanding, and I'm sincerely glad that things did work out for you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »
Emil,

Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently clear. When I wrote, ""Character education" is a pretext for one very stupid, cruel, and disturbed individual to feel empowered," I was referring to Joe Gauld. I didn't mean you or any other Hyde parent or child. I apologize for any misunderstanding, and I'm sincerely glad that things did work out for you.

I did not take it that way, as a personal afront.  

I understand why Joe is a problematic figure for you.

emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2007, 12:48:39 PM »
Thanks I saw Nina with Gordon at the '76 25th.

Are you sure it was Nina?
Did death record search, and found one for a Nina Weaver b.1957 (would be correct)...

thnx. btw

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2007, 01:20:02 PM »

Did death record search, and found one for a Nina Weaver b.1957 (would be correct)...

thnx. btw

Ah,

Perhaps it was Nina's daughter. Perhaps I saw a ghost.  I saw a female in the Student Union in Bath in '01 that was a dead ringer.

Emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2007, 02:04:20 PM »

thnx. btw

Ah,

Perhaps it was Nina's daughter. Perhaps I saw a ghost.  I saw a female in the Student Union in Bath in '01 that was a dead ringer.

Emil

Okay, I did a search in the SSDI which gives more information and found a Nina Weaver b. 3 Dec 1957, d. Oct 1981, based in VA where her parents were at least in the 1970's...  ooohhh....  this is so sad....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2007, 06:26:49 AM »
Is movie by the same Doug Pray that when to Hyde?
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70018799

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2007, 07:28:40 AM »
Yes...Doug is an award winning, established Documentary Director and producer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »
Yes...Doug is an award winning, established Documentary Director and producer.

I wonder if he credits that to his education at Hyde or if he still plays the violin like Jean Luc Ponty:
http://www.amazon.com/Imaginary-Voyage- ... B000002I93

Emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »

I'm happy that Hyde worked for you. I suppose Hitler Youth helped some kids too. "Character education" is a pretext for one very stupid, cruel, and disturbed individual to feel empowered. Year in year out, Joe Gauld empowers a nucleus of families --- the lowest common denominator --- who indoctrinize the rest in an environment of fear and intimidation. What percentage of families walk away from Hyde feeling they have been healed? What percentage feel cheated?[/quote]
My friend just bought a house in Westbrook...it doesn't stink there anymore and is an up-and-coming suburb of Portland

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2007, 03:45:19 PM »

My friend just bought a house in Westbrook...it doesn't stink there anymore and is an up-and-coming suburb of Portland[/quote]

Here is a poem for today by an anonymous Former Hyde student called The Miasma of Bath.

The smell of Westbrook,
The giant red and white praying mantis with the red glowing eyes as you crest the hill on US 1 North,
Joe
on the stage seated
coffee cup in hand
covering his mustache with this lower lip
sipping his coffee
about to explode.
Children in rapped attention
watch the wizard at his black mass
violate the host and join in to stab the goat of the day.
The mantis grins.

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.®