Author Topic: Looking for history on Congressional Hearings on The Seed  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Looking for history on Congressional Hearings on The Seed
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »
Does anyone know any of the history behind why Congress even ended up hearing about The Seed? I am talking about Senator Sam Ervin's thing, 1974 I think. Some LEA grants or something like that came up? Wait it must have been in the Senate not the House. Course the $64,000 question is what today would compel Congress to hear about the Seed and Straight copycat programs still running.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »
Hope this helps. If you need more, let me know.

(emphasis and bold text mine)

The Broward news, Saturday, December 15, 1973

Dennis Holder and James Trotter, herald staff writers.

A US. Senate subcommittee on constitutional rights has begun a preliminary inquiry into the operations of The Seed, a Broward County drug rehabilitiation center, based on complaints made against the Seed's program,, a subcommitte spokesman has disclosed.
"our office has received a number of complaints about The Seed", said Dorothy Glancy, a staff spokesman for the subcommitte which has U.S. Sen Sam Erwin as its chariman. "many people have written and enclosed newpaper articles that raise some questions about this particular program."

However, Miss Glancy said the inquiry is "only in an information gathering stage", with most of the information being sought from the department of Health, Education and Welfare (Hew) about the Seed's grant application process.

" Our own committee's concern is with the constitutional rights of people in the program, not with its effectiveness or success rates or anything like that", Miss Glancy said.  "we are trying to determine whether people put into the program ought to be given the right to submit voluntarily or decline to submit to  program aimed at behavior modification."

The issues involved are basically the individual right of privacy and the right to decide about behavior or attitude modification individually", she said.  "also, of course, there are several questions that have bveen raised recently and are being debated concerning the rights of juveniles."

Art Barker, the director the The Seed program, would not be reached Friday for comment.

The seed, which utilizes a rigorous, encounter-type peer pressure program in dealing with the drug problems of young people, has been both praised and criticized during its more than three years of existence.  Last year, a comprehsensvie state evalution of the program commended the program in part, but disputed its claims of success.

Miss Glancy said the complaints received by the Ervin subcommittee gave the appearance that "the consitutional rights of some of the juveniles being committed to this program may have been violated or are being violated"..

"In a recent decision in federal court in Pennsylvania, a program that sounds a lot like this one was declared unconstituional". Miss Glancy said. "we don't have enough information to know exactly how similar this Seed program is to the program in that case.

"the Decision in that case, though, talked abouty these issues of privacy and juvenile rights that we are talking aobut,"she said.

The Seed will begin its third year of operation under a federal grant Feb 1. Jimn Heising, public information officer for the drug abuse grant, said the Seed application "is in the process of being reevaluated for its third-year term.

"we have no problem with them at the present time, and I anticipate the grant will be renewed as scheduled,". Heising said.

The Seed program began opeating as the a rehabilitation center for alchololics and drug users and gradually focused its attention on youthful drug users.

The program moved from a small church house in Fort Lauderale to larger quarters at the former home of the Cromarty family on Andrews Avenue.  As the program grew in popularity, it found still larger quarters on State Road 84 on a 20 acre compound paid for by the program's hundreds of supporters.

Still later Barker decided to expand the program to serve Dade County and found a home in an airport hanger at Opa-Locka Airport.  when the program outgrew those quarters it moved its Dade facility at Tropical Park Racetrack.

Three months ago Barker announced that he would pull his program from Dade County because the drug rehabilitation "establishment" was jealous of his program and sought to deprive it of federal funds.  In the process he had a stormy confrontation with Metro Mayor Jack Orr.

Barker has since established satellite Seed programs in St. Peterburg and has plans to establish them in other Florida cities as well.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
Just a tag line to this story, this was the beginning for the end of Art's dream to have a seed in every community. Up until this point, the growth rate of the seed had been phenomenal.  It all started going downhill from here.

Offline WWFSMD

• View Profile
    • http://www.venganza.org/
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »
Wow, I hadn't seen that before.  Thanks Greg.  This part just cracks me up  "Three months ago Barker announced that he would pull his program from Dade County because the drug rehabilitation "establishment" was jealous of his program and sought to deprive it of federal funds."

Talk about delusional!

What is ominous is the ease with which some people go from saying that
they don't like something to saying that the government should forbid it. When you go down that road, don't expect freedom to survive very long.
--Thomas Sowell

bey your Noodly Master

Emancipate from mental slavery

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
Here is an article that predates the Broward article by 13 days, and I think is a little more telling of the "issues", and was written by two of my childhood heroes to boot!

(empasis and bold mine}

U.S. Zeroes in on Seed Money, Methods

St Petersburg Times
city and state section,
Sunday, December 2, 1973

By Eleanor Randolph and Margaret Leonard

Committees of both houses of the U.S. Congress have begun investigations of the financing and methods of the Seed, Inc., a controversial Florida program that uses intensive peer pressure to change attitudes and habits of adolescents.

U.S. Sen Sam Ervin, D-N-C, has prompted one of the inquires to determine whether the consitutional rights of juveniles are being violated by the program.

Staff members of the Senate subcommittee on Constitutional Rights said the inquiries were started at the request of Ervin, who has been know for years as one of the senate experts on the U.S. Constitution.

At the same time, another investigation to find out whether the national institute of mental health (NIMH) has granted the Seed $1.4 million in federal funds without adequately evaluating the quality of the program.

Staff members of both committees said the investiagations were started independent of each other more than a month ago.  The congressional inquiries  about the program, however, have come just as NIMH is reviewing as much as $900,000 in additional requests from Seed programs in three Florida cities.  And one staff member said privately that there is a possibly that the committe requests could delay the NIMH decisions on the Seed.

Ervin's Press secretary, Hall Smith, would not allow reporters from the times to talk to the senator. But Smith did confirm that Ervin's interest in rights for juveniles and his fear of behavior modification (changing a person's behavior by using punishment and rewards) sparked the staff investigation.  One of the staff lawyer's for Ervin's subcommittee on Constitutional rights , Ms. Dorothy Glancy, said the committee has learned so far that NIMH did not ask for legal "assurance" from Seed president Art Barker that rights "seedlings" as participants are called, are not being violated."

Ervin's subcommittee is trying to determine whether youngsters are being placed in the Seed without their permission or without access to a lawyer if they want one, Ms Glancy said, a second question is whether programs such as the Seed are violating a peron's rights by changing his behavior without his permission.

Behavior Modification can involve the possibility of violating the privacy of an individual whose behavior is being modified , she said.

Art Barker, who says 5000 Seedlings so far have participated in the Florida program, established his program three years ago to treat drug abusers or potential drug abusers.

The program has been criticized, especially by the Health Planning council in Dade County, for its secrecy, its methods of changing behavior of youngsters and its use of pressure through influential parents of Seedlings.

Barker, who could not be reached for comment after repeated tries five days last week, boosts a 90 per cent cure rate for Seedlings who go to group sessions that involve tearing down a youngsters "bad" or "druggie personality and replacing it with such things as obedience to parents and teachers.

So far, about 800 to 1000 Seedlings have participated in the Seed program in Pinellas County. (my note....this after 5 months, most were still on the program)

The program, inspires strong feelings-parents who believe Barker has saved their youngsters from drug addiction and others who believe that he is turning youngsters into robots.

The House committee doing its preliminary study-the committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce-also oversees federal health programs including the NIMH.

Staff members for the committee said privately that the Seed program is being used as an example to determine whether NIMH is financing drug programs without evaluating the "quality of care" for those treated.

But rep Paul Rogers, D-FLA, a member of the House Commerce Committee, said the investiagtion eventually probably will cover a number of drug programs "to see which approaches are effectivce and which are not".

Rogers, who helped The Seed obtain its initial NIMH financing in Fort Lauderale, said the committee will lookinto the fiscal accountability of programs receiving public money as well as the effectiveness of the programs.

"Funds ought to be accounted for all the time", he said. "they should be constantly subjected to accountability and we are interested in the results".

Rogers is chairman of the subcommittee on Public Health and Environment, which oversees federal health programs.

The committee staff, according to one staff member, also plans to do its own evaluation of the Seed for comparison with the NIMH evaluation.

The Times has tried unsuccessfully during the past two months to obtain copies of any evaluation of The Seed by NIMH, which is a federal institute under the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.

A staff member of the House committee said it also is studying whether Barker of the Seed needs ethe federal funds or can operate on private sources.

"we'd like to know whether NIMH has made any attempt to find out whether its true (that barker has enough money without federal help), a committee staff member said. "and if it is, why they gave him the money".

Staff members from both committees said their inquiries are only in the early stages at this point and they are unable to estimate when ther ecould be some committee action on the Seed.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
within months of these two investigations, the Seed's NIMH grants were rejected, and sen Sam Irvin published his report likening the seed's methods to "north korean brainwashing".

It was all downhill from there.

And paraphrasing Paul Harvey...Now you have the rest of the story.

:wink:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
Skipping ahead, after Ervin's report came out and the government denied further federal funds to the Seed in Early January, 1974, the st pete times issued this editorial.  I present this as further evidence of the pressure put on the seed to explain itself, and the reluctance of Art Barker to be forthcoming...

THE SEED CAN'T COMPLAIN
st pete times editorial, 1/19/1974

(bold text in original article)

The federal government has denied aid to The Seed, and with good reason. This drug rehabilitiation agency was and is too secretive about its affairs to expect handouts of tax money.

A national review committee confirmed the fears of others when it said a major concern was that "the Seed's philosophy of treating all adolescents with only one method might be detrimental."  Judges who commit offenders to the Seed should take careful note.

The Seed is controversial. It has its sharp critics as well as its avid defenders.  Few of those concerned are neutral about it.

Misgivings about The Seed include possible long-term personality effects of the peer-pressure techniques which it claims are so successful in turning young users against drugs.  Worrisome questions also have been raised about the civil rights of those assigned against their will the The Seed.

The Seed's most apparent flaw is one that figured heavily in the rejection of Director Art Barker's request for almost $1 million in federal funds to help finance seed operations here, at Miami, and at Ft. Pierce.

This is its reluctance to submit itself to reasonable public inspection.  Also cited by the National Institute on Drug Abuse in denying the Funds was the Seed's failure to cooperate with other groups working in drug rehabiliation.

Drug Abuse is a national problem, especially distressing as related to youth.  No sincere effort to solve it can be disregarded. On the other hand, those claiming to have found even part of the answer should be happy to share it.

So we are sorry The Seed has not chosen to satisfy the government's reasonable standards in handing out federal funds.  But we don't think The Seed has any grounds for complaint.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
THE SEED WAS A VERY HELPFULL DRUG PROGRAM WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER AND IT TURNED MY LIFE AROUND. I HAVE WRITTEN A SHORT STORY (YET TO BE PUBLISHED) ON MY EXPERIENCE AND LIFE SINCE THEN.

I BELIEVE ALL THE FORMER SEEDLINGS WOULD AGREE WITH ME THAT WHEN WE ATTENDED THE SEED IN THE EARLY TO LATE 70'S IT WAS A GREAT LIFE CHANGING EXPERINCE AND ART BARKER WAS THE BEST LEADER OF ALL.

THANK YOU AN OLDTIMER  KANDI SEDINGER NEE: HOWELL

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
Wow, that was loud.   :eek:

Kandi, I'll agree with you that is was a life changing experience, but it was far from great in any positive sense of the word.

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »
In reponse to Anons intial question:

I made contact with the Libary of Congress regarding these hearings. Here's the response I receved last month.

Hello:

This is in response to your inquiry on congressional committee hearings.

The Congressional Information Service (CIS) Index is the most comprehensive source for published congressional hearings. Published congressional committee hearings, including transcripts of testimony before a committee or subcommittee, may be located using the CIS Index. Hearings are indexed by subjects and names of witnesses. Hearings listed in these indexes are available on CIS microfiche at most academic law libraries and federal depository libraries. Many libraries also have print copies of congressional hearings.  See the Lexis-Nexis Web site for more information on CIS U.S. Congressional Committee Hearings Collections
< http://www.lexisnexis.com/academic/3cis/ovwHearings.asp >.

Documents (ie. notes, committee minutes, and other supporting material) that are not published as congressional reports or documents or in committee hearing transcripts are not part of the Law Library of Congress collection.  

As required by statute, congressional committees send their records to the National Archives. (44 U.S.C. 2118, "Records of Congress") Visit the National Archives Web site for more information.  "The Center for Legislative Archives holds the historically valuable records of the U.S. Senate, and the U.S. House of Representatives, including the official Committee records, all of which remain the legal property of the House and Senate." < http://www.archives.gov/legislative/research/ >

You may wish to seek assistance from a reference librarian at Wayne State University's law library to verify the library's holdings for congressional committee hearings.  Federal publications and other information products are made available for free public use in federal depository libraries throughout the United States < http://www.gpoaccess.gov/libraries.html >. Academic and law federal depository libraries often include legal materials.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Public Services Division
Law Library of Congress

To whom it may concern:

I have had NO TIME to follow up on this. Once my school is over (mid-May) I will be able to follow up and see if there is anything beyond what Mr. Wes Fager has gathered on his Straight investigation.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »
Hey Kandi,  you wouldn't be the Mrs Howell that was lost on that island for a while were you?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »
On 2006-04-06 09:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

I BELIEVE ALL THE FORMER SEEDLINGS WOULD AGREE WITH ME THAT WHEN WE ATTENDED THE SEED IN THE EARLY TO LATE 70'S IT WAS A GREAT LIFE CHANGING EXPERINCE AND ART BARKER WAS THE BEST LEADER OF ALL.

Sorry to break it to you, but you believe wrong.

Welcome to our forum.