Author Topic: Second Nature Wilderness Program  (Read 60502 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Second Nature Wilderness Program
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »
I don't believe I called anyone a cocksucker. That will yield a negative response. Oh wait, I forgot, program supporters aren't allowed to speak their mind, only the angry little people trying to make sense of their empty lives. Sorry.

:wstupid:

Funny, it seems to me like you are posting here just like every one else. But seriously, consider feeling sorry for yourself.  :roll:  :lol: So why'd you send your kid away, who was their therapist and when  were they there. What was their name. Until you answer these questions I don't believe you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »
On 2006-03-22 07:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"See, you didn't go to SNWP or you would prove me wrong."

i didn't want to go, but I had stupid parents like you! you are a bad parent, not only did you fail in raising your kid, you sought out a program that sucks majorly. your kid hates you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
On 2006-03-22 07:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Have any of you ever finished anything but a beer or a joint?"

:cry: Why so harsh? Now I am going to go cry to my mom. You hurt my feelings. Boo-hoo.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »
You didn't go, at least not to SNWP.  You went to an ineffective program.  And, you don't hate your parents or you wouldn't be so hurt and unable to let it go.  My kid is now in college and doesn't hate me.  But, that doesn't really matter.  I'm a parent first and a friend second.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
didn't know Dr. Phil was in the house! lol I know you have to tell yourself these things, but they arent true. you are what is called a true believer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »
and until you answer those questions posed earlier (therapist, kids name, time there), i dont believe you ever had a kid at SNW... you are a marketing person. you think we dont know, but guess again!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
On 2006-03-22 07:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"See, you didn't go to SNWP or you would prove me wrong."

Your kid never went, prove me wrong.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »
Ok, so so far one kid says it was lame and no one else who has responded has any firsthand info.

So, who was the original anon and did you get something of what you were after? What was the purpose of the question? Did you go there? Friend went there? Your kid there?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
--Bruce Lee

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »
Eudora,
I believe I do have first hand knowledge.  I had a kid there for 12 weeks.  I spent 36 hours in the woods with her when it was over.  I met with her threrapist with my child present for hours during the transition phase and kept in constant contact with the therapist during the stay.  We had regular one hour/ weekly phone conferences and e-mail at anytime.  Plus, we had the therapist's personal cell number to call.  My kid was promoted to the highest phase (Air) and though she says the program was physically challenging at times, she thinks it is the most worthwhile thing she's done in her life.  She has a sense of accomplishment and, like it or not, it was a great thing for her.  Some kids aren't mature enough to take advantage of a golden opportunity.  Mine was, and though she went willingly, she still thanks her father (we are divorced) for sending her.  I was not in favor of sending her there and then I saw the results and realized I was mistaken.  It is an excellent program for some but obviously some kids can't be reached.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
I also have firsthand knowledge. I had a kid there for 9 1/2 weeks. My kid's therapist was one of the principals of the company, and was one of the most gifted and practical therapists I have ever encountered.  We had constant contact with the therapist through weekly calls and emails. We spent a lot of time with him during the transition out of wilderness.  We also dealt with others on the staff, including the therapist who does the diagnostic testing.  I have spoken to a number of parents- and kids- about this program and have not heard ANY negatives.  Every therapist was valued and the field staff is well-trained and capable. The equipment is good (we still have it in our house) and the program was very willing to work with us on financial matters.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »
On 2006-03-22 08:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Eudora,

I believe I do have first hand knowledge.  I had a kid there for 12 weeks.  I spent 36 hours in the woods with her when it was over.  I met with her threrapist with my child present for hours during the transition phase and kept in constant contact with the therapist during the stay.  We had regular one hour/ weekly phone conferences and e-mail at anytime.  Plus, we had the therapist's personal cell number to call.  My kid was promoted to the highest phase (Air) and though she says the program was physically challenging at times, she thinks it is the most worthwhile thing she's done in her life.  She has a sense of accomplishment and, like it or not, it was a great thing for her.  Some kids aren't mature enough to take advantage of a golden opportunity.  Mine was, and though she went willingly, she still thanks her father (we are divorced) for sending her.  I was not in favor of sending her there and then I saw the results and realized I was mistaken.  It is an excellent program for some but obviously some kids can't be reached."

I'm glad you had a good experience and it was wothwhile for your kid.  That's great.

One thing I do take issue with is the statement that "some kids can't be reached."  It is true, but it's unfair to say that because WILDERNESS didn't help them that they're unreachable.

The fact of the matter is that WT programs are only effective for a VERY NARROW segment of the population they serve.  It's patently obvious that anyone with any real problems (mental health issues that reach the clinical threshold) will not be helped by this type of program.

The problem with these places is that they claim to be able to treat almost any problem from ADD to ODD to depression and more.  They can't.

The truth is if your kid was helped, it is your kid who is the statistical anomaly, not the one who didn't benefit.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
2N does not claim to FIX a kid. They know that wilderness is just the first step- but it is an important first step. The reason kids do NOT succeed is frequently because they go home and resume their same habits after wilderness.  Wilderness is the ambulance that gets the kid to where they need to go next.  If a kid's family had the resources to leave him in the woods for a year or so (and education could be accomplished) there would probably be much less need for the TBSs.  I would say the short-term success rate for wilderness (improving family dynamics, breaking the pattern of substance abuse, making in-roads on the emotional issues) is extremely high.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Wilderness is the ambulance that gets the kid to where they need to go next.

And where might that be?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »
It depends on the kid.  Some kids go back home and do fine.  Some go to traditional boarding schools.  Some go to TBS.  Second Nature doesn't take all kids.  For exmple, they will not take a kid with an eating disorder.  My kid thinks all teens would benefit from Second Nature.  But, some are just too reisitant to anything.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »
But they will take a kid who cuts himself. How do you think wilderness will help that? I am curious where your child went after the wilderness.