Author Topic: Second Nature Wilderness Program  (Read 60960 times)

Offline Lain the Odd

• View Profile
Second Nature Wilderness Program
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »
That's the basic idea with Second Nature.

My particular ordeal began with being kidnapped and shipped there as so many. My crime consisted entirely of.. being sad. I still love the idea that taking a depressed transsexual and shipping her to Mormon Utah, minus what few comforts did exist and plus sadistic staff and insane 'therapeutic' ideas were going to make it better.

As noted, the therapist (who was everyone there's therapist) was around at most once a week. This in contrast to the therapist I had at home, who I saw once a week, liked, and respected, and if something came up I needed to talk about he could usually be on call within a few hours at most.

I won't get into the gory details, but staff were every bit as sadistic as any other program, only they really weren't allowed to beat people up randomly - bad PR, I guess. They were perfectly happy with mind games, and those were about the extent of the "therapy".

Now, they get paid for processed meat turned over to more 'long-term' programs, so throughout this they were buttering up my parents to make me such afterwards, of course. They did, the 2 other places and 2 stints at Second Nature gave me PTSD, and that's a story for you.

Conclusion: While I don't doubt the value of doing so, I don't even need to trash Second Nature with its obvious faults and false advertising (which, I will confirm, is false as they come). My argument is a bit simpler: It DOESN'T WORK.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Very soon now the drug will cause the subject to experience a deathlike paralysis together with deep feelings of terror and helplessness. One of our earlier test subjects described it as being like death. A sense of stifling and drowning.
And it is during this period that we have found the subject will make his most rewarding associations between his catastrophic experience and involvement with the violence he sees.

Offline Buddha22

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »
Just one answer to consider.

kids at programs like where you sent your kid, have rules about talking down about the program to their parents.basically, if they say anything bad about the program over the phone, or by mail, they will get severely punished for it.  

programs like those are infamous about their abusive treatment methods. like isolation, verbal,psychological, and physical abuse.

I will be typically not surprised if its an unlicensed facility with untrained staff members.
"The Cause Of Human Suffering Is Human Ignorance"- Socrates

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »
The therapists at Second Nature are excellent- the best I have encountered.  They are highly trained and many are PhDs.  The kids are not punished for trashing or bad-mouthing the program and their letters to parents are not censored.  It works well for many kids.
The kids at wilderness have reached the point where they won't GET in the car for the parents to take them to see a therapist.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2007, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2007, 08:21:08 PM »
My argument is a bit simpler: It DOESN'T WORK.

Correction:  It didnt work for you!!

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »
Of the 6 or so kids I knew at 3 springs who went to Second Nature it didn't work for them either.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
Of the 6 or so kids I knew at 3 springs who went to Second Nature it didn't work for them either.

Well, TSW, I don’t think you would expect to.  Many times the reason a child may move on to a residential or Therapeutic program is because the wilderness was not effective for them.  So many of the kids who were successful would have gone directly home after their wilderness experience.
 Other times the wilderness experience is used as an assessment period to determine what may be the best next step for the child, i.e. going home, going to a TBS, boarding school etc.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2007, 09:14:53 PM »
That is funny that you should mention that because of the 6 all of them were there on the reccomendation of Second Nature.

>>>>

Offline Lain the Odd

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2007, 09:50:48 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
So many of the kids who were successful would have gone directly home after their wilderness experience.

In the immortal words of Lex Luthor: WRONG!

NOBODY went home from Second Nature. It didn't matter in the least how "successful" or not they were. In two durances, nobody went home, because they wouldn't have gotten more cash from it.

...of course, it didn't really matter because none of them were successful. They just created new problems and passed them off as such.
Very soon now the drug will cause the subject to experience a deathlike paralysis together with deep feelings of terror and helplessness. One of our earlier test subjects described it as being like death. A sense of stifling and drowning.
And it is during this period that we have found the subject will make his most rewarding associations between his catastrophic experience and involvement with the violence he sees.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2007, 10:28:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
That is funny that you should mention that because of the 6 all of them were there on the reccomendation of Second Nature.

>>>>

Yes, that is usually how it works.  Many of the kids attend wilderness before going onto a program.  I know that when ASR had a wilderness portion all the kids were required to attend the wilderness portion prior to moving on to the main campus, so that doesnt surprise me.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2007, 10:43:16 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
The therapists at Second Nature are excellent- the best I have encountered.  They are highly trained and many are PhDs.  The kids are not punished for trashing or bad-mouthing the program and their letters to parents are not censored.  It works well for many kids.
The kids at wilderness have reached the point where they won't GET in the car for the parents to take them to see a therapist.

This seems a common argument. it may be true. I can remember on one of the seasons of brat Camp the therapist seemed genuinely smart and helpful in direct contrast to the naievety and gross stupidity of the on the ground staff. (gee we twisted that girls arm for 20 minutes and she is still pissed at us. go figure) but what is the point of  single competent adult if they only see the kid once a week? Afterall no phd trained adult on a good salary is going to spend 5 days a week shitting in the woods and most dont.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
second nature
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2007, 11:38:34 PM »
Fuck Second Nature.

I sat through their sales, the duration of wilderness, their eve of transition lectures when the Mormons spout their craziness. They are run by Mormons. Look where they are located in the middle of nowwhere in Duchense, BumfuckUtah.

they told us that our daughter who didn't do drugs or drink, was straight-edge and therefore in DANGER. Straight-edge in Salt Lake City is a baaad thing apparently. Gangs are violent and most are straightedges in Mormon country didn't you know.  WTF? Also, if you don't eat meat in Second Nature you are labelled as a control freak/anorectic/eating disorder and need a TBS.  Therapy was once a week and otherwise young men or women are in charge of your child.

Thankfully, we got out of the cycle of kidnapping/wilderness/TBS, brainwashing.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: second nature
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2007, 12:21:27 AM »
Quote from: ""A Mom""
Fuck Second Nature.

I sat through their sales, the duration of wilderness, their eve of transition lectures when the Mormons spout their craziness. They are run by Mormons. Look where they are located in the middle of nowwhere in Duchense, BumfuckUtah.

they told us that our daughter who didn't do drugs or drink, was straight-edge and therefore in DANGER. Straight-edge in Salt Lake City is a baaad thing apparently. Gangs are violent and most are straightedges in Mormon country didn't you know.  WTF? Also, if you don't eat meat in Second Nature you are labelled as a control freak/anorectic/eating disorder and need a TBS.  Therapy was once a week and otherwise young men or women are in charge of your child.

Holy shit.  It's a sane program parent !

::jawdrop::
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2007, 12:28:18 AM »
Someone preserve this one in a jar of brine!

Offline Lain the Odd

• View Profile
Re: second nature
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2007, 12:39:44 AM »
Quote from: ""A Mom""
Fuck Second Nature.

Yeah.. that's the basic idea. Sometimes they come up with some ridiculous pretense for a problem as mentioned above.. sometimes if the parents buy into it they don't even go that far, just "they need it, now get us our referral cash!" And despite whatever they may say about their religious affiliations or lack thereof, they ARE Mormons and DO push that in their beliefs and practices.