Author Topic: Teen Booted from Brat Camp  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Teen Booted from Brat Camp
« on: March 17, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
TV TEARAWAY: Boot camp brat vows to behave
A TEARAWAY teenager has vowed to change her ways after she was booted off Channel 4's Brat Camp for her bad-girl antics.

Lucy Tyson shocked the nation with her shouting, swearing and temper tantrums on the prime-time TV show, in which six disruptive teenagers are packed off to a US wilderness ranch to learn self-discipline.

But her terrible behaviour proved even too much for the hardened cowboys who run the show's Turnabout Ranch.

[How might they have dealth with Ms Lucy if the cameras hadn't been rolling?]

This time last year, 15-year-old Lucy had been suspended from school three times, was known for her threatening behaviour and had run away from home countless times.

Her parents Rachael and Jeff finally had enough and signed their daughter up for the third series of Channel 4's Brat Camp.

But she tried to run away from the ranch 10 times and was eventually kicked off the ranch after punching a member of staff.

Despite the early exit, the 16-year-old, who grew up in Stamford, says she has turned her life around and is learning to control her temper through breathing exercises.

Lucy, who once held a knife against her mother's face during a tantrum, said: "I was relieved when I heard they were moving me, but it hit me that this was my last chance.

"I decided there and then to change. It's weird because the camp changes you and you have no idea how they do it, but I have learned that I can be a nice person."

Lucy's disruptive behaviour first began when she was a pupil at the Malcolm
Sargent Primary School, in Stamford, and continued throughout her time at Casterton Community College.

Her mother Rachael, who lived in Birch Road, Stamford, recalls Lucy's first brush with authority after her daughter broke her arm in a fall at Burghley Park when she was six.

She said: "We were called to the school because she kept on hitting the other children with her cast.

"She has always been a bit boisterous, and though she wasn't expelled, it was clear that she didn't really fit into the system."

Lucy's disruptive behaviour worsened when her family left Stamford to start a new life in Lancaster two years ago.

Angry at moving away from her family and friends, Lucy began to swear, punch and spit at her mum during their frequent arguments.

Her 18-year-old brother James even left home last year to live in a friend's shed after Lucy punched him in the face because he'd forgotten to pay her £2 he owed her.

But despite spending only four weeks on the Utah ranch, instead of the planned three-month stay, the programme has had the desired effect and Rachael says she has seen a noticeable difference in her daughter.

She said: "It's taken a while for the family to accept the old Lucy has gone, and though she's not perfect, she's nowhere near as bad as she used to be, and we can relax and treat her like a normal teenager."
23 February 2006
http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/View ... ID=1363725
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
A Troubled teen tearaway has turned her life around after being sent to a boot camp in the wilderness.

This time last year, 15-year-old Lucy Tyson had been suspended from school three times, was known for her threatening behaviour and had run away from home countless times.

After two years of this behaviour and with no sign of Lucy changing, her parents Rachael and Jeff finally reached the end of their tether and signed her up for the third series of Channel 4's Brat Camp.

Lucy, from Hest Bank, near Lancaster, was sent to a single-sex wilderness course at Aspen Achievement Academy in Utah with six other girls. There she was stripped of her familiar clothes and possessions and lived outside in the mountainous wilderness.

But the Morecambe High School pupil was unwilling to stick to the rules and attacked staff verbally and physically so that she was expelled from the academy and moved to the much harsher Turn-About Ranch.

Defiant
According to the ranch workers, the philosophy behind it is designed to take the rebellious, selfish, undisciplined, defiant or unmotivated youth and strip him or her of old defences, attitudes and facades.

The youngsters are not given any free time and they are encouraged to be personally responsible for all their actions.

Lucy said: "I was refusing to hike, I was running away all the time, getting restrained a lot, kicking off with staff and I also hit a member of staff. I didn't enjoy it there, I was fed up and miserable."

Therapists admitted that the first camp was not right for Lucy's problems and moved her to the second camp where she learned how to horse ride and gained from the experience.

Lucy said: "Since I came back I'm more positive about things, I hardly argue, I get on a lot better with people and I know how to express myself properly.

"I now want to go to college and do a course in public services and then join the police or go straight into the Navy.

"I had thought about it before, but I wouldn't have had the motivation to get it done."

Her mum, Rachael, 36, has said that Lucy's behaviour changed gradually following a move from Lincolnshire four years ago.

She said: "It had become out of control.
"It was aggressive, she was constantly swearing, very intimidating, she was suspended from school three times for threatening and intimidating teachers, she was running away ?just very extreme behaviour."

Since Lucy returned from the camp, she is a reformed character and Rachael says that she is "really proud" of her.

"Lucy is a lot calmer and there has been no violence and other tantrums," she said.
"It really has done her the world of good."
The four-part series of Brat Camp begins on Wednesday at 9pm on Channel 4.
03 February 2006
http://www.prestontoday.net/ViewArticle ... id=1339448
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
Scared straight it would seem.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
On 2006-04-22 11:29:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"I dunno sounds like the second place was a bit of a summer camp with horses and all. Sounds to me like she just needed to get out of the house for a bit.

Or maybe shoveling horse crap helped her connect point a to point b in her teensy little brain just enough to realize that her next stop in life was under a damn overpass in a card board box. Either way her turn around I suspect has absolutely nothing to do with the 'Quality' of the program.

Forgiveness is divine. Forgetfulness is just a mental dysfunction.
--Antigen

"

Well, considering the facts show that recidivism is unchanged if you go into a program vs... doing nothing, she probably just grew up in the program. But then again, youd grow up just the same with all the same likleyhood living in your own house and not shoveling horseshit or getting bullshit from the mouths of some adults who want you to call them screaming eagle or whatever.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."