Author Topic: adirondack leadership expeditions/ bromley brook school  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
adirondack leadership expeditions/ bromley brook school
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
any info./experiences with adirondack leadership expeditions and or bromley brook school in machester, vermont? thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »
We have had a very positive experience with ALE. Our son was there for almost 6 weeks last summer.
Great therapist too. I have heard him recommend it to all of his friends at home. If you post your e-mail somehow, I can contact you directly, if not ALE can give you some references. I know of a boy currently there, as of last week.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
I am also considering sending my son (age 14) to ALE.  He's never been away from home before and I don't know that he'll be too thrilled.  Any information you can give on your experience would be great.

Thanks,

Cathy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Read the website, and compare to WWASPS programs, particularly the level system.

The facility is run by the Aspen Education Group, which also runs SUWS, which is discussed on Fornits here: http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... =9&start=0 .

You don't want to subject your kid to this. He just might kill you when he gets home.

Instead, take a long read through this thread:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... forum=9&48

But there is one more question- exactly why do you intend to send your young son away?[ This Message was edited by: Paul Smith on 2006-05-07 12:46 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
On 2006-03-14 11:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

I have heard him recommend it to all of his friends at home."

That's some major fucking bullshit right there.

Cathy, just who the hell is your kid? Why don't you invite him to read some of this? Or maybe you already wised up, read Fornits for a while, and ran like fuck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »
ALE-
       contrary to what the disgruntled teens (now adults) may say, ALE was a wonderful experience for our 16 year old son. ALthough I do question why you would need to send a 14 year old to a wilderness program.

While at first, our son was not happy to be there, he soon learned skills that boosted his self-esteem in a way that he wasn't able to get at home. Also, he was smoking pot on a daily basis, (sometimes 3-4 times a day) and for the fornits regulars who should know that THC hangs around in the body's fat, it takes a long time (once you quit smoking) to leave. The chemicals in pot are FAR worse than smoking cigarettes (many more toxic substances) and our son's health (by chest x-ray) was not a pretty picture. Not to mention the sleeping all-day and lack of motivation.
    ALE afforded him a place to detox (and yes fornits, we tried inpatient rehab)- which in my opinion was much crueler (ALE was not cruel)
ALE came him the oppurtunity to be drug-free and time away from TV, video games, computer etc. to reflect on how his decision to use drugs (and they were not just limited to pot) had negatively affected his life. He was kicked out of outpatient as well several times.

ALE doesn't have solos (where the kids go off by themselves for a few days).

In many cases, wilderness is all that is needed for many kids (especially ones as young as your son). For them, it is a wake-up call that his life was not heading in a good direction. Following ALE by another program may not be needed. I don't know the specifics in your son's case. And it is true that MANY kids do end up liking it. The programs today are NOT like the teenage boot camps 10-20 years ago. I would hestiate to send a child in the dead of winter or in the desert programs in the summer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
Your kid, after his rehabilitation and his education at an Aspen center, takes a massive bong hit.

Mmmmm... fuck the chest X-ray. This is some GOOD shit.

And another, and another...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
Second Nature is wonderful.  Don't know about Adirondack. Bromley Brook is good as well. Laura Mack is wonderful the gal that runs the school.   We hired an educational consultant, lots of money but peace of mind.  Both of these programs worked.  Its "tough love" but if your kid is showing signs..............I would go for it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
That's because you're getting paid to post here, tool.

Offline Kroorox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
I went to ALE and I had an awesome time.  ALE is a pretty new program, founded in 2003 with the first teen (my friend) was admitted almost three years ago (June 19, 2003).  I was the fifth to enroll.  I'm sure things have changed a bit since I was there, but I really enjoyed it.  I have many friends who were abused and/or neglected by Aspen run programs, but nothing like that went on at ALE.  I do have to add though that I managed to avoid working on most of my issues and in the long run, the only good  things ALE did for me were convincing my mom that I was in need of more intensive treatment and helping me gain self confidence as well as leadership skills.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
Laura Mack is not wonderful.  I have firsthand experience with her.  She is deceitful, incompetent and cold-hearted.  I cannot believe I ever entrusted my daughter to Bromley Brook School and Laura Mack.  It was the biggest mistake I ever made as a parent.  If you are having any thoughts of sending your daughter to Bromley Brook, please don't.  My daughter's problems were only made worse by that place.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »
It's a great program!