Author Topic: Martin Anderson - Bay County Florida Boot Camp  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Martin Anderson - Bay County Florida Boot Camp
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »
I just heard on a local news channel that the Bay County Boot camp is now closed.

I also *thought* I heard that they will be exhuming Martin's body for a second autopsy, but I can't find any written news on this.

Shutting down the camp is quite a step for Flori-duh.  Let's see if they surprise us even more and do the right thing and find the original autopsy results rating high on the Bullshitometer.

For myself, I do not believe in any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities.
--Charles Robert Darwin, English naturalist

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »
AIM  :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
Where did they send the kids still in the "boot camp" at the time it closed?

I am sure they sent them to some other "boot camp" just like Straight would do when the state would close them for abuse, just send the kids to some other Straight.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
On 2006-03-08 15:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Where did they send the kids still in the "boot camp" at the time it closed?

I am sure they sent them to some other "boot camp" just like Straight would do when the state would close them for abuse, just send the kids to some other Straight."

According to NBC 2 in SW FL - Nine kids "Graduated" and four were "Moved"... they didn't say where, but I'm sure you're right.

The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.
-- Patrick Henry

Offline MomCat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 01:27:00 AM »
March 9, 2006
Sheriffs: Lack of Money Hurts Boot Camps: In the Wake of a Teen's Death at a Panama City juvenile Boot Camp, the Sheriffs Who Manage the Camps Decried a Lack of Funding From the State

By MARC CAPUTO AND MARY ELLEN KLAS
http://www.caica.org/NEWS%20DEATHS%20Martin%20Main.htm

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »
Right.. money has what to do with the intrinsic ineffectiveness of bootcamps, or anything thats based on fear and humiliation (and, well, beatings) or the fact that a kid was beat to death?

NOTHING.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »
On 2006-03-11 22:27:00, MomCat wrote:

"March 9, 2006

Sheriffs: Lack of Money Hurts Boot Camps: In the Wake of a Teen's Death at a Panama City juvenile Boot Camp, the Sheriffs Who Manage the Camps Decried a Lack of Funding From the State

By MARC CAPUTO AND MARY ELLEN KLAS

http://www.caica.org/NEWS%20DEATHS%20Martin%20Main.htm"

Randal Harell,brother of former Manatee County Sheriff Deputy Mike Harell,placed a bomb in Sheriff Well's mail box and blew it up,then poisened his dogs and killed them.Randal Harell was disgruntled because he was implicated in the "Myakka Gold" marijuana crimes investigation.
Randall Harell was never caught,though he still walks the streets of Manatee County Florida and Campbell County Wyoming.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
Leave it to Florida beauracrats and politicians to actually make money after murdering a kid.

Offline MomCat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
Does make you kind of want to puke, doesn't it?
  ::puke::

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »
Well I missed this in the papers, but found it on Fark.  Good! MORE READERS!

Original article Here
---

Boot camp has few successes

Of 740 youths to complete the program from 1993 to 2005, only 74 weren't arrested again.

ABHI RAGHUNATHAN
Published March 11, 2006

ST. PETERSBURG - Nine of 10 youths sent to the Pinellas County boot camp end up where they started: back in custody.

"Are we really being effective in what we're trying to do?" asked Pinellas Sheriff Jim Coats. "Somewhere, there's a breakdown in the system here."

A study Coats requested shows that 666 of the 740 youths who attended the camp from November 1993 to November 2005 were arrested after completing the program. Of those, 607 were convicted or given some form of juvenile judgment.

Coats said he is disappointed but not ready to shut down the program, located near the county jail on 49th Street.

Instead, the sheriff wants to set up a residential facility to temporarily house boot camp graduates, rather than return them to communities where they first committed crimes.

In a few months, he said, he intends to approach the Pinellas County Commission with a proposal.

Commissioner Bob Stewart said he was stunned that so many boot camp graduates went on to commit more crimes. He said the idea of a residential facility was a good one, but wants to know how much it would cost.

"I can see the advantage of such a plan," Stewart said. But such a residential facility, he added, "could be a very expensive proposition."

The boot camp already costs about $2.7-million a year. The state pays almost $2-million of that. The county pays the rest, nearly $762,000.

Florida boot camps have been under increasing scrutiny since the death of 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson on Jan. 6, a day after he was roughed up by guards at the Bay County camp.

A surveillance video showed that a half-dozen guards punched, kneed and restrained the youth, who complained of breathing difficulties during the enrollment procedure.

The Bay County medical examiner ruled that Martin did not die as a result of those blows, but family members and other authorities have disputed that finding.

Hillsborough County State Attorney Mark Ober is investigating and Anderson's body was exhumed Friday in preparation for a second autopsy in Tampa on Monday.

The Pinellas boot camp houses juvenile male offenders ages 14 to 18 who have at least one felony conviction and are designated a moderate risk. The Pinellas boot camp has handled 48 to 102 recruits a year since 1999.

The state, which tracks youths for a year after they finish boot camp, said 61 percent of the youths who attended the Pinellas boot camp in 2003-04 were subsequently convicted of another crime or given some form of criminal judgment.

That was the worst recidivism rate among the state's boot camps. In previous years, Pinellas has ranked near the middle.

Many graduates of the Pinellas camp end up in jail. About 52 percent of them are charged with a felony. Often, they're in trouble for violent crimes or crimes involving property and drugs.

Steven Chapman, a juvenile justice researcher and program evaluator, said the state's boot camps did have some success in turning around youths.

In 2003-04, for example, the state's boot camps had a total recidivism rate of 41 percent. That same year, by comparison, halfway houses for moderate-risk youths had a recidivism rate of 44 percent.

The Pinellas boot camp puts youths in "platoons" of 10 to 15 who attend classes that stress discipline. The program also includes a "transition" phase that prepares them to return to the community, and a conditional release program through which they go home to families under the supervision of boot camp staffers.

Hunter Hurst, a senior research assistant at the National Center for Juvenile Justice, said boot camps were created out of the belief that giving youths an intense experience would affect them in ways that a halfway house would not.

But Hurst said it was difficult to find studies that proved whether boot camps had much success in helping kids who were in trouble.

"I think boot camps are misguided," Hurst said. "There are other experiences - like wilderness camps, for example - that could be more constructive."

Other experts point to horror stories of youths who went to boot camps and then landed in even worse trouble. Consider the case of Brian Hickman.

After charges of robbery, battery, resisting arrest with violence and possession of drug paraphernalia, Brian Hickman was ordered into the Pinellas boot camp in 2001. The Sheriff's Office said he was well-behaved in the program.

But in 2002, Hickman, 16, became drunk and belligerent. Police officers eventually arrived after Hickman grabbed a knife and scissors and talked about attacking people. After a struggle, Hickman was shot and killed by a police officer.

Times researcher Cathy Wos contributed to this report. Abhi Raghunathan can be reached at [email protected] or 727 893-8472.
© Copyright, St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.

Give me the youth, and Germany will rule the world.
--Hitler

Offline MomCat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
New articles:

Boot Camp Has Few Successes:
Of 740 Youths to Complete the Program from 1993 to 2005, Only 74 Weren't Arrested Again

This is very disturbing! Rather than admit they failed the children and their families, and let the families have another shot with their kids ( who, by the way, are being abused in these programs as we saw with Martin Lee Anderson - he's not the only one), the state now wants to open a "behavior modification" program. They're worried about the cost .... that's frightening!

http://caica.org/NEWS%20DEATHS%20Martin%20beh%20mod.htm

Offline MomCat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
Body of Teen Who Died at Panama City Boot Camp Exhumed

http://caica.org/NEWS%20DEATHS%20Martin ... humed3.htm

Offline MomCat

• View Profile