Author Topic: Upcoming KHK Demonstration in Columbus Ohio  (Read 8543 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Upcoming KHK Demonstration in Columbus Ohio
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Here's the transcript of the KHK protest tv coverage.

http://www.10tv.com/?story=10tv/content ... 38002.html

Rehab Camp Draws Protest
Mar 31 2006 11:01PM

Reported by Eve Mueller

Some say a drug treatment program called Kids Helping Kids has helped 1,300 families in Ohio. But others claim it has hurt countless kids.

Either way, a debate about the system is coming to the capitol city.

Kids Helping Kids is a long-term drug treatment program for kids ages 13 to 21.  It has strict rules for children who misbehave, and it brags of an 81 percent graduate sobriety rate.

But some call the program an abuse camp.

"We're trying to be the voice of the kids who would otherwise have no voice," said one protestor at the Ohio Statehouse.

Todd, Christine, and William say Kids Helping Kids is not what it sounds like.

"It's kids hurting kids, is what it really is."

Those who are protesting want others to take notice.

"Theres no access to a phone, no radio. You're monitored 24/7. You can't use the bathroom by yourself, another former camp resident complained.

The program in Milford, Ohio markets itself as a tough love type system to help young addicts kick drugs and alcohol.

Newcomers as their called are in group therapy 10.5 hours per day. And clients stay, on average, for about a year.

The trio leading Fridays protest described the KHK program as similar to the so-called "STRAIGHT" program they went through as kids.

Christine Flannery, who went to Kids Helping Kids at age 16, says she is still struggling from aftereffects at 37.

"I was just diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, Flannery said."

"At least 50 times, I was restrained by five guys, thrown on floor for just wanting to leave to use the bathroom," she says.

William is now president of this survivor group critical of the KHK way.

It's definitely a cult, was his characterization.

One recent KHK client says he dealt with the pain by cutting himself. His parents say they were never informed of him intentionally injuring himself.

Barbara Towner, a spokesperson for the program, said Kids Helping Kids has served ore than 1,300 families over 25 years. She described it as a highly structured program where kids are treated very well while experiencing a high rate of success.

The group denies violating any human rights. But the push for a state investigation continues.

The state, which licenses Kids Helping Kids, has investigated complaints against the program. But last summer, the state ruled allegations of abuse were unfounded.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services is investigating whether "host" homes -- where the KHK kids sleep at night -- should be licensed as foster homes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
There were only the 3 of us.  We stayed up in our hotel room til about 1am makin' signs and drinkin' a couple of beers and generally discussin' our strategy.  I don't know about the other 2 but I don't think I got much sleep.  Besides havin' a pillow that felt like a 2x4 I was too excited and kinda worried about bein' on TV.

Around 10 in the mornin' we were interviewed by Eve Mueller at the channel 10 station.  She seemed very interested in our story and I felt her sympathy.  I explained to her how places like KHK and $tr8 violate the rights of minors.  How clients have absolutely no privacy.  How the very thing I was taught to fear about Communiust Russia actually happened to me in the United States, namely that I was turned in by my family for not toein' the party line, hauled off to a secret prison and blackmailed and tortured into submission.  I explained to her how if someone over 18 is kidnapped it's a felony but if a minor who is even more psychologically vulnerable is kidnapped it is somehow acceptable.  Of course what I think were the best parts of what I said to her somehow didn't make the cut.  I'll leave it up to NCL and MG8 as to whether or not they care to tell you what they told Eve at the station.

After about an hour at the TV station we headed downtown for the State House(The capitol building), which is in the heart of Columbus and is surrounded by skyscrapers.  We checked in with the people there, at the State House, who we were supposed to check in with, and then proceeded to set up some tables at the Mc Kinley monument, which is on a very wide sidewalk in the front of the State House. Around 11 or 11:30am we started holdin' up our signs against KHK. The weather was not good.  It was real windy and overcast.  I bet those were some 50 mile an hour winds we were leanin' into with our signs and it was rainin most of the day too.  The signs said things like 'KHK scares kids silent' and 'Kids Helping Kids violates human rights'.  The channel 10 news crew showed up and took footage of us holding our signs and talkin' to passers by and asked us some more questions about the program.  I think we had about 20 different signs we rotated through.  MG8 rented a bullhorn and I got on it and started sayin' things like 'Defend your children, investigate Kids Helping Kids' and 'Kids Helping Kids is a brainwash cult in Milford OH' and 'Kids Helping Kids uses coercive thought-reform techniques to brainwash the youth'  We passed out a whole box full of literature about $tr8 and KHK and pretty much tried to explain what our protest was about to anyone who was the least bit interested.  At one point MG8 hand-delivered a letter of protest to the Ohio governors office and the TV crew followed him with their cameras and filmed the delivery.  We stayed there, at the Mc Kinley monument protesting til about 5pm, by which time the clouds were beginning to break and the Sun finally shone through. By then I think we were all startin' to feel a little worn and hungry.

We packed up and headed to the bar to try to catch our story on the 6 o'clock local news.  We ordered drinks and impatiently waited for the story to air.  It finally came on about 6:20 or so and lasted for a min. 17 seconds.  I was happy to have the media coverage but dissappointed that some of my more radical comments were edited out.  After that we all went out to eat and then NCL went her way and MG8 drove me home and then continued on to his home.

We took no prisoners and worked that bull horn.  There were only the 3 of us though, and I couldn't help thinkin' how if there had just been even 3 or 4 more of us we could 'a' reached a few more people and made a more powerful statement.  As it was it was pretty tricky tryin' to man the bullhorn and hold up a sign and give out literature all simultaneously on a windy, rainy day in the city.  I was thinkin' with a few more survivors we could 'a' really done some damage.  It's like when the rebels are all ready to launch their assault and strike for their freedom but the arms smuggler never shows with the AKs.  Despite not havin' every weapon we would've liked to have had with us, we went ahead with our attack and let fly everything we had to throw.

Hats off to MG8, who made sure we had the media coverage and was willing to do all that driving.  Thanx NCL for standin' up and fightin next to me.  And thankyou Eve Mueller for caring enough to take a look.

Don't miss the next one!!!  Peace!!!

::dove::
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2006, 10:50:00 PM »
Pirate you were great on the bullhorn! The signs you made were fantastic too. Despite being nearly blown off my feet all day long by gusting wind,  and despite feelin like a drown rat from the all rain, I think its safe to call yesterday I success. Eve did a great job, so did MG8. I was so pysched that MG8 was filmed by tv crews delivering his letter to Hope Taft's Office. Most importantly, it was nice to get so much interest from the community about our message. Some people were truly concerned about what we revealed about KHK and concerned that ODADAS was not adequately investigating KHK client complaints. More later...I am one exhausted little girl!
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
"Christine Flannery, who went to Kids Helping Kids at age 16, says she is still struggling from aftereffects at 37.

"I was just diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, Flannery said."

OMG I just noticed this....How did this happen? Maybe that part about the current KHK building being the former Straight (where I was) building confused the reporter???? Or maybe she just mis-spoke? Or was this just transcribed incorrectly?

YIKES!  :eek:

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell[ This Message was edited by: nonconformistlaw on 2006-04-01 20:00 ]
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
[/quote] "Christine Flannery, who went to Kids Helping Kids at age 16, says she is still struggling from aftereffects at 37.

"I was just diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, Flannery said."[/quote]

OMG I just noticed this....How did this happen? Maybe that part about the current KHK building being the former Straight (where I was) building confused the reporter???? Or maybe she just mis-spoke? Or was this just transcribed incorrectly?

YIKES!  :eek:

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »
Several parts of that transcription are inaccurate.  I told Eve I had been restrained at least 50 times but the transcription indicates that you(NCL) said that.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »
:silly:

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
On 2006-04-02 05:33:00, starry-eyed pirate wrote:

"Several parts of that transcription are inaccurate.  I told Eve I had been restrained at least 50 times but the transcription indicates that you(NCL) said that."

Yeah I saw that too after I posted...I will email the television station about the transcribing errors.

dragonfly

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »
On 2006-04-02 07:32:00, dragonfly wrote:

Thanks for trying to do something

Speaking of doing something, what the hell happened with those "Ask Dr. Fucktard" t-shirts you were going to make? :evil:

You left me high & dry.... Well, you know what I mean..

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
On 2006-04-02 07:47:00, Dr Fucktard wrote:

"
On 2006-04-02 07:32:00, dragonfly wrote:

Thanks for trying to do something

Speaking of doing something, what the hell happened with those "Ask Dr. Fucktard" t-shirts you were going to make? :smokin:  :silly:  :wave:

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »
Remember what the staff at straight told you, pirate - never assume! This couldn't ring more true than in this case! First of all, I had a bit of a falling-out with my filipina hooker who somehow caught wind of my liason with Druggie Whore! Dammit! I suspect that I have Twisted Sister to thank for that..  :flame: :flame:

Anyway, given this unfortunate turn of events compiled with the fact that there were no t-shirts for my SIBS people to sell (thanks again, dragonfly) I decided to bag it for that day. So, much to your chagrin pirate you were WAY OFF!  :evil:

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- SIBS is the Wave of the Future in Drug Treatment! ?

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
...A likely story... :smokin:

Offline researcher1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
Well Done. The war may not be over, but the battle at the Ohio capitol was won. Even if it was only 3 voices. Wish i could have been there.

This is no pun intended, but Starry & Dr, you people are funny!

Have you survivors ever thought about getting together and writing a book about your own stories? "Survivors' Stories Untold and Unheard"
ou must be the change you wish to see in the world.   - Mohandas Ghandi
The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.   - Henri L. Bergson
You see things; and you say \"Why?\"
But I dream things that never were and ask,\"Why not?\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
Yes, we have.