Author Topic: The Science of Evil  (Read 2468 times)

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »
There's going to be a an ABC Primetime story that looks at how ordinary people can commit horrible acts against another person by re-creating Stanley Milgram's Milgram experiment. It airs today at 10:00 pm ET(9:00 pm CT for me)  I think this may shed some light on the abuse committed by program staff and volunteers, or perhaps answer the question of why ordinary people follow orders even when  they know that those orders are wrong
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:30:17 PM »
I don't need a TV show to show me these things since I had the wonderful opportunity to learn them firsthand (thanks to my program parents) but thanks.

Offline Karass

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »
That's so weird that this is on TV, since my son and I were just talking about that experiment this afternoon. I remember studying it in college psych class, and my son is getting ready to take a high school psych class when the new semester starts next week.

I brought it up in the context of Programs, because it shows what can happen to perfectly normal people's behavior when they are put in a position of absolute power over other human beings.

I'll set the DVR.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 07:37:28 PM »
They have Psych Class in high school now? WTF? I heard it's the second most common major.. come on people now!  :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:38:43 PM »
BTW while you guys are setting the DVR, tomorrow night, thursday the 4th at 9PM on the history channel is a two hour show on the history of cults in america. The show is called DECODING THE PAST.

Gotta love DVR's.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »
How long have DVRs been on the market? What are they going for new? I'll probably wait a year for the price to come down like 50%.

Offline Karass

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:20:34 AM »
So I watched the show and couldn't help but think how much those experiments relate to the dynamics of staff & inmates in programs. But I was confusing 2 experiments -- the Zimbardo prison experiment is the one I was talking to my kid about -- and was glad the Primetime show covered that too.

It's pretty scary to see what monsters ordinary people can become just by being in a certain position of authority, or by simply following orders from an authority figure. I am reminded of certain programs where upper level 'students' are given authority over lower levels, including the authority to dish out 'consequences.' I get queasy just thinking about it.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
Quote from: ""70sPunkRebel""
So I watched the show and couldn't help but think how much those experiments relate to the dynamics of staff & inmates in programs. But I was confusing 2 experiments -- the Zimbardo prison experiment is the one I was talking to my kid about -- and was glad the Primetime show covered that too.

It's pretty scary to see what monsters ordinary people can become just by being in a certain position of authority, or by simply following orders from an authority figure. I am reminded of certain programs where upper level 'students' are given authority over lower levels, including the authority to dish out 'consequences.' I get queasy just thinking about it.

Yeah I'm glad they covered the second experiment, as it relates more directly with programs. But both studies demonstrate the same thing... What I found to be really interesting is how they all delegated responsibility for their actions to  someone else....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:40:45 PM by Guest »
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline 69

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »
i found it pretty interesting, especially the part about the stanford prison experiment. i noticed those middle aged men who participated still show emotion and have vivid memories of their exerpience that was less than a week.. and here parents lock there kids up for years to be treated like that.  :roll:

the 7th grade teacher during the shocking experiment.. how she smiled and stuff.. creepy.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »
The creepiest was the part about the guy calling the McD's and having them strip search and sexually abuse a 15-yr-old girl; just because he claimed to be cop. This caller did this several times to fast food restaurants. People really are like sheep. Explains the rise of the neo-cons.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 07:10:49 AM »
The girl was 18 and yes that is a very disturbing case. I learned about it in Oct during the Stewart(phony cop) trial. He was acquitted, sadly, but he is suspected in all of the other cases so new charges could be on the way.
This was one of the cases that made me get serious about this advocacy thing. I think it pissed me off more then any other abuse case I've come across. For so many adults to fuck up and abuse this girl(and the 70 other survivors) just makes my blood boil.

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 12:05:42 PM »
The real criminals in the McDonalds case was the man and woman who did the molesting and strip searching. That woman should have been in jail and that man longer than five years. The caller as probably in on it and they just used it as an excuse. You don't molest a kid because someone over the phone tells you to, I don't care how dumb you are.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 09:24:03 PM »

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
The Science of Evil
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
The real criminals in the McDonalds case was the man and woman who did the molesting and strip searching. That woman should have been in jail and that man longer than five years. The caller as probably in on it and they just used it as an excuse. You don't molest a kid because someone over the phone tells you to, I don't care how dumb you are.

The man who made the phone call is a sexual predator that has found a way to rape over the phone.U.S.C. Title 18 chapter 109A sec. 2242 states that you only have to knowingly cause  another person to engage in a sexual act by threatening or placing that other person in fear (other than by threatening or placing that other person in fear that any person will be subjected to death, serious bodily injury, or kidnapping).
This is the federal law, but it does allow us to charge someone with sexual assault even if they are not present during the actual crime, this guy was present(on the phone). He is just as guilty as the manager and her boy friend in this case, and he's also suspected in the 70 other cases. That fact leads me to rule out any "inside job" with the manager.

Howto]