Author Topic: Why don't WE make a program?  (Read 15287 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why don't WE make a program?
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
Not EVERY kid is unwilling.  Imagine this:  maybe the happy kids and parents don't come here because it's working for them and they aren't doubting the program.  My kid liked Carlbrook.  My kid has even gone back for a visit to see friends and all of the staff.  We didn't EVER have a problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
"These kids do not come out of the homes of the very good parents, or the good parents, or even the average parents."

Julie- you have absolutely no basis upon which to make this statement.  It is simply not true. Parenting is really difficult. There ARE no perfect parents. Who is to say what an "average" parent might be?  That is one of the stupidest things you have said yet, on a whole site of stupid things you have said!  Wonderful that you are an average housewife. Many women have to work to support, or help support, their families. In today's society, there are a lot of pitfalls in child-rearing. Let's wait and see how darling Katie turns out before we see how wonderful your parenting is- OR, whether despite your wonderful parenting (even with the clear anger issues), darling Katie rebels and has some serious issues.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
What I didn't say earlier is that not every school is Carlbrook and thankfully our kid was admitted and actually benefitted from it.  There are scary as shit places out there but Carlbrook isn't one of them.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
These kids do not come out of the homes of the very good parents, or the good parents, or even the average parents.

There are exceptions, but that's the rule. And, as I said, it's obvious.

Well, you brought your argument a little more towards the center of the curve.  The above statement shows you still cant see beyond what you have personally experienced and /or want to believe.

Based on what I have experienced and have selectively read hear on Fornits and using the logic you used, I could say:

?Kids who don?t go to programs come from below average parents who would rather sit back and do nothing, allow their children to slowly slide into the judicial system and become dependent on the state.  The parents could react and help, because help is there, but they would rather save their money for that new car they want to buy in the spring and don?t want to get involved.  How do I know this?  Well, I personally know several families who have kids who went to these schools and are doing great and they are good parents, therefore, all kids would benefit from any program you happen to choose at random, based on the facts I have just presented and my personal observations.  We have a family in town that has a child who was arrested for doing drugs and he went right back into the public school system so they must be bad parents.  This should be obvious to all.?

Julie if you believe your argument and what it is based on, then mine holds water too.  I think you have to be more careful how you group people and generalize.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
This is pointless.

One presents a strawman, the other floats the absurdity that the parents that turn out the vast majority of healthy kids are worse than the parents whose claim to fame is thinking their kid is so horrible he needs to be sent away to a fixit shop.

The Anon with the strawman obviously lacks reading comprehension to look at a post that says I'm a housewife and a writer and then conclude I don't have a job.  My job is that I write.  Like a lot of other authors, I work from home.  

Right now, I'm getting to some of the really fun action sequences leading up to the finish in the latest book, so I'm probably not going to be around much for awhile.  Thread's gotten boring, work's getting especially neat.

See the rest of you folks later.

Who and Anon, I guess you guys get the last word, because the last argument stated by each of you is just so inane that there's nothing I can say to it that both discusses it on its merits and at the same time avoids saying uncomplimentary and true things about your respective abilities to engage in reasoned debate.

There once was a user who called the helpdesk because his computer wouldn't boot, had the tech support guy tell him to check the cables at the back of the box and make sure they were all fully plugged in.  The user said he couldn't see back there because it was dark.  Then the tech support guy asked why it was dark.  Turns out the user's power was off.

What do you say to something like that?  There's nothing truthful you can say that isn't just awful.

This discussion has gotten to that level--it's that bad.  The thread about Swift River has gone dormant, and Alex is out of SCL.  Rather than say some really cold, true stuff to these two, it's a good time for me to walk away for awhile.

The rest of you guys have the issues well in hand. :smile:  Laters.

Julie

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
There once was a user who called the helpdesk because his computer wouldn't boot, had the tech support guy tell him to check the cables at the back of the box and make sure they were all fully plugged in. The user said he couldn't see back there because it was dark. Then the tech support guy asked why it was dark. Turns out the user's power was off.

What do you say to something like that? There's nothing truthful you can say that isn't just awful.

Julie, you are a writer, you could choose words that don?t hurt or choose not to place everyone in one box.  Maybe saying nothing is enough, you do have the choice not to be mean and the choice to be nice.  

It is not obvious to me why his computer didn?t work, I would need more information, maybe his computer malfunctioned and blew the circuit breaker, maybe it was a laptop that should transfer to battery back up if the power goes down and it hasn?t.  Maybe the user is partially blind (needs plenty of light to see) and doesn?t realize it is dark in the room.  There are many different circumstances to each situation.  That has been my whole point, why insinuate and jump to the conclusion that you are forced to say something awful to him?

Good luck with your book, Julie, sounds like you are having fun.

God Dammit, you've got to be kind!

--Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.  "God Bless You Mr. Rosewater:"