Author Topic: Why don't WE make a program?  (Read 15247 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why don't WE make a program?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
The weak link being Glenn.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
Glenn was my favorite.  But, my kid made all A's and he kept the curriculum challenging.  He does not (or did not then) participate in any therapeutic counseling.  We were Carlbrook parents for 15 months.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
It wasn't very hard to make all A s at Carlbrook. It's a weak curriculum.  Glenn is an idiot- he tries to wow the parents on first meeting, but he is full of double talk and bullshit.  If you really needed anything from him-forget it.  Fortunately, his support staff was pretty good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
I knew Glenn for 15 months and I had a good student.  What I can say for his is that he doesn't suffer fools.  He was the kind of "teacher" our child responded to.  Not every "teacher" can reach every student.  It's funny to me after teaching throughout my adult life that the people who describe an academic program that is "easy to make A's" in rarely do.  An "A" is an "A."  And, all "A's" can do wonders for a kid looking for some sucess and approval especially when all seemed hopeless just months before.  A proper education is not the duty of the school but rather the duty of the student.  My kid got enough.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
On 2006-03-05 16:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I knew Glenn for 15 months and I had a good student.  What I can say for his is that he doesn't suffer fools.  He was the kind of "teacher" our child responded to.  Not every "teacher" can reach every student.  It's funny to me after teaching throughout my adult life that the people who describe an academic program that is "easy to make A's" in rarely do.  An "A" is an "A."  And, all "A's" can do wonders for a kid looking for some sucess and approval especially when all seemed hopeless just months before.  A proper education is not the duty of the school but rather the duty of the student.  My kid got enough."

That was me, Ted.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 07:46:00 PM »
I think the curriculum was as strong is it can be, given the range of kids that were in each class. The courses offered were varied and there were some excellent teachers. One of them was the impetus behind me son wanting to move on to a top NE prep school. That teacher told my son he needed to get out of Carlbrook ASAP because he needed much more academically.  My son had come from a top prep school and returned to one after Carlbrook. He was accepted to some of the top colleges in the country.  His academic year at Carlbrook didn't hurt him at all.
Glenn Bender was emotionally abusive to my son. He also dropped the ball with respect to some testing and some certifications that needed to be done.  When we had to work around him, it pissed him off.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.  We didn't ever have a problem like that, especially not with Glenn.  However, our kid was a plausible "brown-noser" from way back.  That's why it took us so long to detect the problems we were having in the first place.  Our kid went straight from Carlbrook to college.  Life for all three of us is smooth now.  My kid may or may not have been Ivy League material but earned a more than repectable merit scholarship at a good, solid mid-tier college (1st choice) and that helped us justify the expense of Carlbrook.  Our child finally seems happy.  A happy kid = happy parents.  Hopefully we're getting the real story.  We keep our fingers crossed.  Ted

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »
Ya know there is a Carlbrook thread, why don't you address the original topic. Why don't unqualified individuals start programs that don't have to be licensed?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
I was just pointing out that Grant and Justin did just that at Carlbrook.  "Why don't we make a program?"  These threads are like Venn Diagrams.  They bleed into one another.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  Ted

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 08:16:00 PM »
Sounds like you've been around these forums for a while Ted, I am not familiar... when did your son graduate, maybe I knew him?
Carlbrook alumn

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
I've purposely not indicated the gender of my kid.  It's our child's story to tell.  When he/she is ready to post at this place he/she can give his/her name and the Greek letter corresponding to his/her graduating class.  I've just found Fornits on Friday and can see it may not be wise to give personal info since it looks like some of the not so succesful students of these programs take below the belt pot-shots at kids (and parents)that moved on, did well and respect their time and the people at Carlbrook.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »
Sounds like you've been hanging around these forums for a while from the tone of your posts, forgive my confusion. It might look to some that you are in fact not a Carlbrook parent since you are unwilling to provide any information that can be refuted by real students and staff. Not saying this is true, but the last post definitely raised questions in my mind.
I have never seen one happy carlbrook student EVER post here and tell us their name and when they went, not even just a first name. Interesting that the kids who had a hard time have no issues with giving up their name and year, they are much more believable.
For instance, how do we know you are not employed at Carlbrook?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 08:49:00 PM »
Why would anyone who has something positive to say about a program share their identity and personal information here?  It doesn't take long to see the abuse, foul-language, harrassing emails and IMs that are received by anyone who dares to identify themself.  There have been plenty of positive reports about Carlbrook, including the letter from Rico Moreno that was re-posted here.  All that gets ignored.  If you are pro-Carlbrook or pro ANY program, it is because you are brain-washed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
I can see that this is going nowhere.  Misery loves company.  My kid keeps in touch with Carlbrook friends and they've been guests in our home.  They didn't all love Carlbrook or all the kids there. In fact, dealing with the chronic troublemakers made their lives at Carlbrook ghastly at times.  It certainly wasn't the staff.  I would bet that some of you fit into the category of chronic pains in the ass.  EVERY school's got 'em.  Ted

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2006, 09:15:00 PM »
Our kid has moved on.  Carlbrook was the springboard.  Surfing around this negativity would be emotionally dangerous for him/her...like hitting your head on the board on the way back down.  It would be on his/her way back down that he/she would grace this area.  I just came here on a tip from a former, satisfied Carlbrook family that thought it was interesting. Did any of you, if you are truly alums, like anything or anybody there?  Ted